Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Floppy Wiper Arms
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bevman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:30 am    Post subject: Floppy Wiper Arms Reply with quote

I have new wiper arms (put on by previous owner) but don't know brand. They fail to provide enough pressure on glass to properly sweep away rain. The springs don't appear to be adjustable. I tried bending the arms to increase tension, but that's no help (and it only makes them look stupid). Any solutions out there for the '64 std bug?
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:41 am    Post subject: Re: Floppy Wiper Arms Reply with quote

Is your glass heavily chipped, say from freeway driving? Then no wiper can really work well.

But if your glass is in decent condition, use Rain-X, and apply it correctly. That means cleaning the glass with a glass cleaner product. Then let it dry in the sun for half an hour. Take it back in the shade to cool, then apply two coats of Rain-X, letting the first dry to a haze before applying the second. Finally, after at least 30 minutes to let it dry, remove any haze with a soft cotton cloth.

Do this and you won't even need wipers. But if you apply it to wet glass (even water in the microscopic pores), it will not work well.
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Floppy Wiper Arms Reply with quote

I've been using Rain-X for years and it's amazing. You really don't need wipers. It's a surfactant and causes the surface tension to greatly reduce so that the water globs and moves very easily. It puts the air in air hockey.
5% Off your order with coupon code: 5%OFF
Restored Distributors Available (<--Click here)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jzjames
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 7:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Floppy Wiper Arms Reply with quote

Try to locate a pair of "accessory wiper arms" for the '64.
They are aftermarket replacements with better clamps for holding on to the shaft, and better stronger springs.
100% better!

Like these;

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1502738
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 7:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Floppy Wiper Arms Reply with quote

The redesigned wiper arms mentioned above were actually more than just aftermarket - they were also dealer replacements - called by some "Ralph Nader Specials" since the 'orrible wiper arms were one of his complaints about the VW. I've talked about them many times over the years here and I run them on both of my bugs.

Proof? I have some with the VW logo on them:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

IMAGE NOTE: It has been noted that Chrome based browsers may have issues in displaying my vast image library, which use non-secure links and are on an FTP server. Images should still be viewable if the link is clicked though.
I do not know how to fix this. All I can say is it all works fine for me with what I use, Firefox.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 11:51 am    Post subject: Re: Floppy Wiper Arms Reply with quote

Just to clarify, the term "floppy" wiper arms usually indicated that the clamp at the shift is loose. I read between the lines that this is NOT your problem, since you mentioned spring pressure specifically.

Or it may mean the blades skim over the water instead of squeegeeing off the water.

It may help if you clarify whether the clamp at the pivot is tight or not. There are threads dealing with THAT problem, and Glutamodo's solution of the improved arms is probably the best overall.
Bevman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 2:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Floppy Wiper Arms Reply with quote

Thanks, all... the problem is not with the attachment point, it's the pressure that the arm puts on the glass. When driving at highway speeds, you can see the air flow from the hood "lift" the arm and blade off the glass so that it "dances" instead of pressing down.
60ragtop
Bonneville Belt Bitch

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 2:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Floppy Wiper Arms Reply with quote

you need to source the ones Andy pointed out, day and night difference in the wiping action against the glass.
classified search shows these
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1502738
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2052099
Certified Hunter Wheel Alignment Master Technician 1986

tasb wrote:
I've restored a large number too, but I don't toot my horn quite as loud.

sb001 wrote:
maybe he just snapped cause his car sucked Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: