Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

for those that run DCOE..
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
BFB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:01 pm    Post subject: for those that run DCOE.. Reply with quote

i have a rail with a draw through turbo set up on it and it originally had a 48 dcoe, after much tuning i swapped it out for a 45. it did run better but was still too much carb for my little buggy, even with turbo. you guys know the routine, you get it to run great at WOT but low end suffers, at cruise it loads up like a 2 stroke and if you just mash the gas it'll go lean, but ease into the throttle and your golden. so u change jets, change emulsion tubes etc etc etc. gets better but never where you want it right? i know these are common problems ive had and seen all over the net.
well, couple months ago i found an 'ol boy on the net that will split the throttle shaft and turn this thing into a progressive 2 barrel! i got mine back from him just a couple weeks ago and after a little tuning, im amazed at how much better it runs. my wife even asked if i turned up the boost.
i know i probably sound like a sales pitch and thats not how i intend this, i kinda didnt even want to post this just because i want to be the only kid on my block with the cool toy, but im just so amazed with the improvement i had to share.
this is the guy that did the conversion http://www.american-pi.com/corvair/corvhome.html
and here's a link to his page that gives some info about it
http://www.american-pi.com/corvair/html/DCOE_detail.html
i'll post a few pics but theres not much to see, most of the mods are internal

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ellobo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 12:21 am    Post subject: Re: for those that run DCOE.. Reply with quote

Nice looking setup. I suppose that you have an appropriate turbo cam installed. With my T3 I have the distributor locked in at 24 degrees. There has always been a minor issue with stumbling at low end. I learned to drive through it. Ignition kits will fix the early stumble with a bit of money... Good Luck!
madmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 5:08 am    Post subject: Re: for those that run DCOE.. Reply with quote

What really helped my Doce was plumb hot oil threw that intake , what you going to do with the 48? Trade u a Doce 40 & $ for it ? I running a 750 Demon now but still what to play with them sidedrafts Laughing

76 Drag/Street bug 2180cc 'Turbo' 11:85 @113 mph"If I go any faster I'll burn up the Hamster" ,gets 28 mpg. also 10/09/22 11.90 @115 mph
"If I'm ever on Life Support,UNPLUG Me, Then Plug me back In see if that Works"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BFB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 5:01 pm    Post subject: Re: for those that run DCOE.. Reply with quote

ellobo wrote:
Nice looking setup. I suppose that you have an appropriate turbo cam installed. With my T3 I have the distributor locked in at 24 degrees. There has always been a minor issue with stumbling at low end. I learned to drive through it. Ignition kits will fix the early stumble with a bit of money... Good Luck!

thank you, but actually, no. I don't have a turbo appropriate anything except for turbo appropriate fuel and timing. the rest of it is, as far as I know ,a stock 1600 dp and I've put 20 lbs of boost to it. right now its about 13 -14, I'll probably crank it back up with the new carb mods. far as timing, I had my first one locked same as u, but this buggy I bought a cb black box for and love it, it's well worth the money.
what carb are u running?
BFB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 5:12 pm    Post subject: Re: for those that run DCOE.. Reply with quote

madmike wrote:
What really helped my Doce was plumb hot oil threw that intake , what you going to do with the 48? Trade u a Doce 40 & $ for it ? I running a 750 Demon now but still what ..

I've seen ur bug in some posts, love the "turbo lag". the 40 would be temping but all my jets and stuff for the 45 interchange with the 48.. aaaand im planning on building the wife a rail with turbocharged corvair motor and trans, and with the way my buggy runs now i might just have the 48 modified and put it on hers.
how do u like the 750? I've seen guys run 4 barrels but according the the math I've done even a 2275 at 20 lbs of boost only runs around 450 ish cfm ( now I could be wrong) , so I'd figure a 750 would be huuuge?
madmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 3:42 am    Post subject: Re: for those that run DCOE.. Reply with quote

The Barry Grant 750 VS Demon is Awesome, I had it on the 1915cc for awhile and It is a bit 'Large' for that( picked up a Quick fuel 680 VS for that), but is great on the 2276cc. pro's: Instant starting ! no more pumping the crap out of the gas peddle Laughing
Instant throttle response : as in it will brake the tires loose if u stomp on it! in 1st or 2nd gear...
Cruises; Cool yes it CRUISES around 14-17 on the AFR gauge.
Cons: not as easy to replace/change 'Jets' but I'm get use to them
does like more fuel then the DCOE's but ,,but i'm thinking It's my right foot's fault Laughing :lol:FYI them 45 jet's and stuff fit the 40 doce too Wink only the vents are different Laughing
76 Drag/Street bug 2180cc 'Turbo' 11:85 @113 mph"If I go any faster I'll burn up the Hamster" ,gets 28 mpg. also 10/09/22 11.90 @115 mph
BFB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 7:47 am    Post subject: Re: for those that run DCOE.. Reply with quote

madmike wrote:
The Barry Grant 750 VS Demon is Awesome, I had it on the 1915cc for awhile and It is a bit 'Large' for that( picked up a Quick fuel 680 VS for that), but is great on the 2276cc. pro's: Instant starting ! no more pumping the crap out of the gas peddle Laughing
Instant throttle response : as in it will brake the tires loose if u stomp on it! in 1st or 2nd gear...
Cruises; Cool yes it CRUISES around 14-17 on the AFR gauge.
Cons: not as easy to replace/change 'Jets' but I'm get use to them
does like more fuel then the DCOE's but ,,but i'm thinking It's my right foot's fault Laughing :lol:FYI them 45 jet's and stuff fit the 40 doce too Wink only the vents are different Laughing

if it wouldn't have been for American pi i was about to put a 4 barrel on mine. i have a couple Holley quick fuels sitting around and even picked up the turbo intake but I'm so familiar with the dcoe after a couple years of jacking with it and then the cool factor of having a progressive dcoe.. I just had to go that route! I could see a 4 bbl with small primaries working pretty well though.
I've wondered how well one of the new efi "carbs " would work on a turbo vw?
madmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 4:28 am    Post subject: Re: for those that run DCOE.. Reply with quote

Ya I hear ya On messin with them Doce's Wink as for The new EFI I think that's what the 'Dung Beetle' runs?
what 4 barrel intake you have? I've been looking at them RLR has with the oil holes,, but if u want to sell the one u have????? LMK ,,LOL thanks,MadMike
BFB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 6:01 am    Post subject: Re: for those that run DCOE.. Reply with quote

I got my 4bbl intake off of skeezbay . it's a used cast aluminum one and don't remember if it has oil line ports or not.. only gave $150 for which was half what I could find them for anywhere else. and no don't want to sell it, might use it for my wife's full automatic corvair buggy!
madmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 4:44 am    Post subject: Re: for those that run DCOE.. Reply with quote

Ok thanks, I'll probably just pick up a Lummis ,Madmike
cacortez1234
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 5:19 pm    Post subject: Re: for those that run DCOE.. Reply with quote

hi there i got a problem with my carb or at least thats what i think it is, i have a 2074cc engine running with a T03/T04 turbo with a 45 dcoe it has fuel pump with a regulator set at 3 psi, carb has a f7 and a f11 and 30mm venturis, what it would be a good set up in the pump system and carb jetting, the problem its that when i hit the pedal hard i dont if its lack or gas or air cause it gets to stall motion i need to pedal slower to get good running good
B Ramsey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 3:07 pm    Post subject: Re: for those that run DCOE.. Reply with quote

cacortez1234 wrote:
hi there i got a problem with my carb or at least thats what i think it is, i have a 2074cc engine running with a T03/T04 turbo with a 45 dcoe it has fuel pump with a regulator set at 3 psi, carb has a f7 and a f11 and 30mm venturis, what it would be a good set up in the pump system and carb jetting, the problem its that when i hit the pedal hard i dont if its lack or gas or air cause it gets to stall motion i need to pedal slower to get good running good

Do you have boost sensitive regulator in fuel system?
BFB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 4:33 pm    Post subject: Re: for those that run DCOE.. Reply with quote

B Ramsey wrote:
cacortez1234 wrote:

you dont need to boost reference the regulator on a draw through, ive run up to 20lbs of boost without it.
cortez, your dcoe is doing what mine and several others ive talked to do ( did, mine doesnt anymore) . i spent probably 2 years trying to tune that out of mine and bet money youll never get that out of yours unless you do the progressive mod. whats happening is your loosing vac signal and carb goes lean. read my original post, i wrote it to help out other dcoe owners.
cacortez1234
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2019 9:25 am    Post subject: Re: for those that run DCOE.. Reply with quote

B Ramsey wrote:
cacortez1234 wrote:

no yet am going to install a 140gph gas pump and set the regulator set it at 5 psi (because its the lower that pump can go)
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: