Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

69 Beetle Quick Release Tow bar
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
neisman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 5:41 am    Post subject: 69 Beetle Quick Release Tow bar Reply with quote

My 69 Beetle will be our "Toad" behind a motorhome.
All of the tow bars that I find require me to get under the car to install/remove them.
This car will be on and off of the tow bar frequently and I will not always be in a situation where I want to get dirty removing the tow bar.
I am interested in a quick release tow bar.
Any thoughts or links?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
PopPop Jambon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 6:04 am    Post subject: Re: 69 Beetle Quick Release Tow bar Reply with quote

Sorry, I know I'm no help but I don't know of any "quick release" on the market. I have used my tow bar several times on my '68 and can't imagine an easier way to hook up and unhook. Pull 2 pins and I'm done. You may have to fasten one from scratch. The other option is to carry a blanket or drop cloth.
Sort of a Baja
(PO removed the deck lid, cut out the rear skirt and added rear fiberglass fenders, that's about it)
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 6:37 am    Post subject: Re: 69 Beetle Quick Release Tow bar Reply with quote

The beam tow bar is easy with a piece of carpet to lay on. Get a two wheel dolly drive on drive off.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
dirtkeeper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 6:45 am    Post subject: Re: 69 Beetle Quick Release Tow bar Reply with quote

I have left my tow bar on my bug and strapped the front to the bumper and drive around, Pull of the strap ( spongy cord actually) and hook up again.
60ragtop
Bonneville Belt Bitch

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 6:49 am    Post subject: Re: 69 Beetle Quick Release Tow bar Reply with quote

find an RV place that sells Blue Ox tow bars(or something similar) to see what they have. Might have to visit a welding shop also to fabricate something for the quick release to mount to the beam but have seen a couple in the past few years.
Certified Hunter Wheel Alignment Master Technician 1986

tasb wrote:
I've restored a large number too, but I don't toot my horn quite as loud.

sb001 wrote:
maybe he just snapped cause his car sucked Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 6:56 am    Post subject: Re: 69 Beetle Quick Release Tow bar Reply with quote

60ragtop wrote:
find an RV place that sells Blue Ox tow bars(or something similar) to see what they have. Might have to visit a welding shop also to fabricate something for the quick release to mount to the beam but have seen a couple in the past few years.

Found them the website lists them at 430 bucks plus shipping.
neisman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 5:49 pm    Post subject: Re: 69 Beetle Quick Release Tow bar Reply with quote

Thanks everybody for your responses.
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:57 pm    Post subject: Re: 69 Beetle Quick Release Tow bar Reply with quote

Can't you replace the front bumper with a tow bar?
5% Off your order with coupon code: 5%OFF
Restored Distributors Available (<--Click here)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
neisman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 12:57 pm    Post subject: Re: 69 Beetle Quick Release Tow bar Reply with quote

kawfee wrote:
Can't you replace the front bumper with a tow bar?

That is what I am going to do. I will reinforce the body where the bumper attaches and make a bracket that allows easy attaching and removing of the bumper and/or tow bar.
I towed it 10 miles with a jury rigged setup and it was superb.
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 4:00 pm    Post subject: Re: 69 Beetle Quick Release Tow bar Reply with quote

That's what I would do. You probably don't want to use the tow bar as is since it does slide around a little. They are really only good for emergency use but I am sure other folks out there use them all the time. I've had one damage pieces under the car before.

You need some way to attach it to the bumper easily. Maybe make some quick release type of mounts for the bumper and towbar. That way you can exchange the two out.

Lastly, ensure that the bumper mounts will hold a car in tow for extended time periods and trips.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
neisman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 3:38 pm    Post subject: Re: 69 Beetle Quick Release Tow bar Reply with quote

kawfee wrote:

Lastly, ensure that the bumper mounts will hold a car in tow for extended time periods and trips.

Thanks for that.
I am going to reinforce the body were the bumper attaches to avoid damage from metal fatigue.
Hmmmmm, perhaps I will install bumperettes and use them to hide the towbar attachments. That way I will not have to worry about stowing the bumper while towing.
Yeah, the creative juices are flowing.
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 3:43 pm    Post subject: Re: 69 Beetle Quick Release Tow bar Reply with quote

neisman wrote:
kawfee wrote:

Thanks for that.
I am going to reinforce the body were the bumper attaches to avoid damage from metal fatigue.
Hmmmmm, perhaps I will install bumperettes and use them to hide the towbar attachments. That way I will not have to worry about stowing the bumper while towing.
Yeah, the creative juices are flowing.

Isn't that the frame where it attaches to? If it is you may not need it. I'd investigate this further.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 4:10 pm    Post subject: Re: 69 Beetle Quick Release Tow bar Reply with quote

kawfee wrote:
Isn't that the frame where it attaches to? If it is you may not need it. I'd investigate this further.

Yes, the beetle tow bar attaches to the front axle. The design hasn't changed much in all these years.

Of course, tow bars for Supers are different (two piece).
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
neisman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:47 pm    Post subject: Re: 69 Beetle Quick Release Tow bar Reply with quote

I have it figured out.
Since I will not be running fenders, I will weld an extension to the shock tower and use it for both the bumper mount and the towbar mount.
I was concerned about metal fatigue using the original bumper mounting points even with reinforcement.
volksworld
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 5:20 pm    Post subject: Re: 69 Beetle Quick Release Tow bar Reply with quote

once you fab some brackets Reese makes an adjustable folding towbar for around a hundred bucks
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:35 pm    Post subject: Re: 69 Beetle Quick Release Tow bar Reply with quote

Please share your designs. I am sure others would love to see.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: