Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

AFR gauge
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
buguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 5:49 pm    Post subject: AFR gauge Reply with quote

So I am going to pick up a PLX wideband and they have an option for a gauge or to have it Bluetooth on the phone. I like the idea of Bluetooth but I was wondering if it is necessary to continue watching the AFR once things are all set and looking good? I could easily add a gauge pod somewhere but I don't want to cut up my dash. I would prefer not having a gauge of its not necessary to watch all the time. I'm a homebrew draw through turbo by the way.
woodoctr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:57 pm    Post subject: Re: AFR gauge Reply with quote

Yeah, I could have set up my kit car with the Bluetooth thing as well but opted for the gauge. It's not like I watch it all the time ( I do have an on/off switch on the gauge) but I do like to tune seasonally. I've got quick change bowls on my Holley 670 Street Avenger so tuning is pretty easy with my supercharged rotary.
madmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 3:17 am    Post subject: Re: AFR gauge Reply with quote

I watch that gauge more then the 'Tach' Laughing
hint ;Hide it in the glove box, Wink
76 Drag/Street bug 2180cc 'Turbo' 11:85 @113 mph"If I go any faster I'll burn up the Hamster" ,gets 28 mpg. also 10/09/22 11.90 @115 mph
"If I'm ever on Life Support,UNPLUG Me, Then Plug me back In see if that Works"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tattooed_pariah
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 4:35 am    Post subject: Re: AFR gauge Reply with quote

I'm looking at buying the gen-4 kit with gauge whenever I find $170 of disposable cash too.. looking at reviews, it seems people are having trouble mounting the gauge. that it doesn't come with a way to secure to a dash and they are forced to use the included bracket..

In my mind, put the gauge in place, and put a worm clamp on the back to hold it in, but maybe that's not possible or just didn't occur to these people..

if you get the gauge, let us know how you mount it!

"Never worry about stepping on people's toes. People who get their toes stepped on are either sitting down, or standing still on the job."
-Admiral Arleigh Burke, USN(ret.)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Paul.H
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 5:22 am    Post subject: Re: AFR gauge Reply with quote

PLX have other modules such as EGT and oil temp that can be daisy chained into the the system and display the data on a single gauge. You could epoxy some sort of brackets to the gauge for dash mounting
buguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 5:31 am    Post subject: Re: AFR gauge Reply with quote

Yeah I'm not worried about mounting it. But do you really need to be seeing that stuff all the time?
mikedjames
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 5:48 am    Post subject: Re: AFR gauge Reply with quote

I have ended up with my own versions of these gauges as I built a rev counter,CHT, oil pressure, battery voltages and MAP sender to go with the PLX AFR sender..
I fried the gauge as it feeds low voltages to the dash and I had a short between 12 volts and the gauge wiring.
When I reset the routing on my new server PC , I can post the source code of what I did.

1974 VW T2 : Devon Eurovette camper with 1641 DP T1 engine, Progressive carb, full flow oil cooler, EDIS crank timed ignition.
Engine 1: 40k miles (rocker shaft clip fell off), Engine 2: 30k miles (rebuild, dropped valve). Engine 3: a JK Preservation Parts "new" engine, aluminium case: 26k miles: new top end.
Gearbox rebuild 2021 by Bears.

1979 Westerly GK24 24 foot racer/cruiser yacht Forethought of Gosport.
1973 wooden Pacer sailing dinghy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tattooed_pariah
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 6:11 am    Post subject: Re: AFR gauge Reply with quote

buguy wrote:
Yeah I'm not worried about mounting it. But do you really need to be seeing that stuff all the time?

I mounted my working tach to the driver's door near the vent window, and I have a non working tach in the panel to the left of the speedo.. it's visible but not without looking around/through the steering so it won't bother me much..

"Never worry about stepping on people's toes. People who get their toes stepped on are either sitting down, or standing still on the job."
Tbirdusa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 6:39 am    Post subject: Re: AFR gauge Reply with quote

I have the DM6 mounted on the tunnel just in front of my shifter. I bought a $10 plastic gauge mount pod. The dm6 comes with a rubber gasket that friction fits it into the pod.
I daisy chained oil pressure and wide band. I leave it on oil pressure for the most part but can toggle to afr if wanted but data logging is what I typically look at for afr.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:07 am    Post subject: Re: AFR gauge Reply with quote

I used a wired Innovate LM-2 setup on my Fastback. It is connectorized at the gauge and at the O2 sensor, so I left the wiring from the engine to the dash area in place. When calibrating, I just used a suction mount on the dash and plugged in. At the back I have a replacement resonator with the bung for the sensor. With one clamp and one bolt, and I can swap my "plain" resonator for my "test" resonator, and not have to leave my O2 sensor in the system.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I figure I will adjust the FI infrequently, so I didn't feel the need for the gauge while driving normally.
buguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:23 am    Post subject: Re: AFR gauge Reply with quote

I have my boost gauge mounted to the left of my steering wheel behind the grill there. You can't see it well, but i was having trouble making boost initially so I wanted some conformation.
I will likely also pull my sensor out for most driving. The way I'm set up I don't think it would live a happy life hanging out there.
DUELLER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 4:53 pm    Post subject: Re: AFR gauge Reply with quote

I got the PLX-DM6 with the gauge and blue tooth. The reason i got the blue tooth was i could use it on either of my VW's or tune other peoples cars without extra wires. It's pretty easy to swap back and forth. The only bad thing so far is if you want to daisy chain EGT(head temp) it wont show on the blue tooth, only the gauge. The app on my phone only shows AFR and vac/boost. You would think you could toggle back and forth.
DUELLER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 4:59 pm    Post subject: Re: AFR gauge Reply with quote

Another thing...I have not compared accuracy between the two. The blue tooth is Fast!! as far as the readings are concerned. I saw a video where they showed a Tach as well but when i called them on it they said it was just a promo.
buguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 5:39 pm    Post subject: Re: AFR gauge Reply with quote

Oh thanks. I wasn't aware that the Bluetooth would only show AFR and boost. I have no plans to daisy chain but I don't know that I would want to eliminate the option.
tattooed_pariah
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 10:15 am    Post subject: Re: AFR gauge Reply with quote

we sold our rental property in california recently which opened up some funds for me to buy some shit Razz

I got my plx gauge, but I'm wondering what you all did to run the wires? I have an A-1 4-1 header, with bung built in just before the muffler, I'm thinking of putting in the o2 sensor and ziptieing the wires by the passenger-side valve cover to run through the passenger-side heater channel into the passenger compartment.. This doesn't seem ideal at all, but i'm not sure how to keep it away from road debris and engine heat..

67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 11:04 am    Post subject: Re: AFR gauge Reply with quote

I use cable routing clamps fastened to the sled tin mount at the engine.
No the cable is not touching the header. It's just the angle of the pic.

Good Luck.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
mikedjames
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 11:50 am    Post subject: Re: AFR gauge Reply with quote

I mounted mine at the top of the collector ,pointing down, with a similar exhaust setup on my bus and took the cable straight up behind the tinware.

I took note of the requirement to never run the risk of exhaust condensation on the lambda sensor.
It will shatter while heated to 600C/ 1100F with a drop of water so mounting it facing down seemed safest.

Featuring Real Horrible Stainless Blob Welding.

1974 VW T2 : Devon Eurovette camper with 1641 DP T1 engine, Progressive carb, full flow oil cooler, EDIS crank timed ignition.
Engine 1: 40k miles (rocker shaft clip fell off), Engine 2: 30k miles (rebuild, dropped valve). Engine 3: a JK Preservation Parts "new" engine, aluminium case: 26k miles: new top end.
Gearbox rebuild 2021 by Bears.

1979 Westerly GK24 24 foot racer/cruiser yacht Forethought of Gosport.
1973 wooden Pacer sailing dinghy

Last edited by mikedjames on Sun Sep 03, 2017 12:06 pm; edited 2 times in total
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 11:59 am    Post subject: Re: AFR gauge Reply with quote

The installation instructions said to install the bung above 9-3 oclock. That way any condensation would collect at the bottom of the header.

Mines at the 2:45 position. Cool

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 1:03 pm    Post subject: Re: AFR gauge Reply with quote

67rustavenger wrote:
The installation instructions said to install the bung above 9-3 oclock. That way any condensation would collect at the bottom of the header.

Is that Standard or Daylight Savings time?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 1:41 pm    Post subject: Re: AFR gauge Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
67rustavenger wrote:

Is that Standard or Daylight Savings time?

I think the bigger question is. Would that be viewed from the front or the back of the car?

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: