Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Type IV Tune-up Tragedy
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
James Dwan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:28 am    Post subject: Type IV Tune-up Tragedy Reply with quote

So I pulled the 009 distributor, replaced the points, condenser and then proceeded to pull each plug wire one at a time to place onto the new cap.
Started it and it wouldn't turn over and got a very loud backfire.

I assumed that I put the wire on wrong for #1, so I switched them. It started and I think it sounded fine. Turned the key off. Next time I started the engine it sounded under powered and when I let off the accelerator I heard some popping.

Searched for intake leaks that may have occurred due to the several back fires before I got the wires right. Nothing even checked all the nuts on the air intake.

Replaced new condenser with another new condenser, same problem. Hit it with a timing light and it is WAY off. I don't understand how this happened. I put the distributor back in correctly because the clamp was still on it.

It doesn't respond to timing adjustments and when I put it where it needs to be, it dies.

I'm going to put the old cap, points and rotor on tonight and see if I can get back to where I was but was wondering if anyone had any suggestions as to what is going on.
Thanks.
'73/'77 Westfakia
'78 SuperVert

"Many dreams come true, and some have silver linings.
I live for my dreams and a pocket full of gold. Acapulco gold!" Robert Plant
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:00 am    Post subject: Re: Type IV Tune-up Tragedy Reply with quote

Well, at this point I'd suggest starting over and check everything for being correct. Don't make assumptions. First, find TDC for #1 by watching the index mark on the fan and scale plus look at the rockers for #1 to verify they are both closed. Then look at the rotor and see where it's pointing. It should be pointing at an index mark on the rim of the distributor. That's where #1 spark plug wire connects. From there, the wire go CCW 2 3 4. Don't turn the engine over with the distributor removed or the drive gear could pop up. If you never removed the clamp then your timing should be close enough to fire the engine. If you check all those things and still have troubles I would suspect you either installed the tune up parts wrong or have bad parts from stock. Reinstall your old rotor and try again.
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Globespotter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:01 am    Post subject: Re: Type IV Tune-up Tragedy Reply with quote

This is a Type 4 engine right?

I put my dist in 180 degrees off and tried to start it and got a loud bang. I thought I had wrecked something. It was one of the air hoses that had popped off due to pressure.

Check all the hoses to see if one is off. Even a slightly off one can cause the problems you are talking about with an FI engine.
1971 Super Beetle - 1977-1980

1971 SB Survivor Story: https://globespotter.com/
Road Trip Thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=511800&highlight=
My 77 Westy Thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=647114&highlight=

http://vw-mplate.com/mcode.php?lang=EN&id=30990
https://vw-type2-id.xyz/mplate/72067382
James Dwan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Type IV Tune-up Tragedy Reply with quote

I did take off the cap and found #1 notch on the rim of the dizzy wires are back to the original location, each combination of wires to 2,3 & 4 were tried so I am confident the wires are in place.It wouldn't start with any of the other combinations, just turning and back fire.

I don't think the dizzy could be off 180, because the clamp was never removed.
I checked all the hoses and found no leaks or anything loose.

I am wondering about the points or the cap at this point. I doubt 2 new condensers would replicate the same issue so I'm gonna start with those after work.
'73/'77 Westfakia
'78 SuperVert

Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Type IV Tune-up Tragedy Reply with quote

What does the dwell meter read?
sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Type IV Tune-up Tragedy Reply with quote

James Dwan wrote:
I did take off the cap and found #1 notch on the rim

That doesn't necessarily mean the notch is actually TDC for #1. You need to verify TDC on #1 physically (pull valve cover).

Remember that TDC comes around twice each cycle for #1, but only one of those times is TDC on the compression stroke which is when the plug needs to fire. When it's at TDC on compression stroke both valves will be closed. When it's at the other TDC on the exhaust stroke the intake valve will be closed but the exhaust valve will be open so the rockers will be in different positions.

Then once you know you're at TDC, whatever position the rotor is pointing to is #1. It might not be the one with the notch if your distributor drive gear was installed wrong back in the day.

So whichever position on the cap the rotor is sitting under gets the #1 wire. Then CLOCKWISE around the cap 4 3 2.

Quote:

of the dizzy wires are back to the original location, each combination of wires to 2,3 & 4 were tried

Why are you trying combinations of wires? There is one right way. Do it that way. Don't guess.

Quote:

so I am confident the wires are in place.

I am not confident.

But also yes what are you seeing on the dwell meter when cranking the engine?
timvw7476
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Type IV Tune-up Tragedy Reply with quote

First, get the cap off, twist the rotor to & fro to make positive the shaft is
seated in the drive dowel, everybody has done it at least once in their lives
while doing tune ups on VWs. Check that first then proceed with anything else.
sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Type IV Tune-up Tragedy Reply with quote

timvw7476 wrote:
First, get the cap off, twist the rotor to & fro to make positive the shaft is
seated in the drive dowel, everybody has done it at least once in their lives
while doing tune ups on VWs. Check that first then proceed with anything else.

^^^^^^

Great advice. If you can spin the rotor shaft around then either the rotor is not seated in its notch on the shaft or the shaft itself is not seated in the drive gear.
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Type IV Tune-up Tragedy Reply with quote

Finding TDC #1/ Installing Drive Gear and Dist.

Once you find #1 TDC on the compression stroke, (not the exhaust stroke)

Put the #1 spark plug wire in the distributor cap hole, where the rotor is pointing. Then work your way around.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
andrewtf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 6:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Type IV Tune-up Tragedy Reply with quote

This is a long shot and I'm half talking out of my ass - but it happened to us (Big Emma). We had a backfire as the bus was shut off. After that it wouldn't start for the life of us. We spent two days trying everything...... changing plugs, doing smoke tests, gapping the plugs again, changing points. It was very frustrating. The bus would always turn over but never fire.

As a last resort we opened the AFM. Apparently at the backfire, the AFM was blasted fully open (don't ask me why or how). And the wiper was wedged stuck fully open. We flicked it back free and all was well.

It might be worth at least a look.
Amskeptic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:21 am    Post subject: Re: Type IV Tune-up Tragedy Reply with quote

James Dwan wrote:
So I pulled the 009 distributor, replaced the points, condenser and then proceeded to pull each plug wire one at a time to place onto the new cap.
Started it and it wouldn't turn over and got a very loud backfire.

I assumed that I put the wire on wrong for #1, so I switched them. It started and I think it sounded fine. Turned the key off. Next time I started the engine it sounded under powered and when I let off the accelerator I heard some popping.

Searched for intake leaks that may have occurred due to the several back fires before I got the wires right. Nothing even checked all the nuts on the air intake.

Replaced new condenser with another new condenser, same problem. Hit it with a timing light and it is WAY off. I don't understand how this happened. I put the distributor back in correctly because the clamp was still on it.

It doesn't respond to timing adjustments and when I put it where it needs to be, it dies.

I'm going to put the old cap, points and rotor on tonight and see if I can get back to where I was but was wondering if anyone had any suggestions as to what is going on.
Thanks.

We need to perform a trouble-shooting refresher course with you.
Colin
(is the brake booster line secure in the rubber wye on the intake manifold?)
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:43 am    Post subject: Re: Type IV Tune-up Tragedy Reply with quote

Link
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 1:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Type IV Tune-up Tragedy Reply with quote

009 won't match the standard picture in the book because the 009 clocks differently than a standard distributor.

The drive dog on the distributor has a pair of protrusions that sit in the drive gear. In the center of the drive gear there is a spring. Make sure it hasn't fallen out and is blocking the drive dog from seating. Next look at the drive gear and drive dog. There are two half moons on either side of the protrusions/slot. One is larger than the other. Make sure the drive dog sits the same as the drive gear and that it goes all the way down. Then lock it down.

Put the rubbing block, which you should have lubricated with lobe grease, on a lobe and measure the gap. Once you are sure it is correct then pop the valve cover off the 1-2 cylinders. Rotate the engine until the 1I and 1E rocker arms are all the way out and in TDC position. Remember that the distributor and cam turn 1 time for every 2 engine revolutions.

Now rotate the rotor gently to be sure it is seated in the notch. Figure how the cap fits on and make a mark on the top of it where the rotor is pointing. That is #1. Insert #1 wire and hook it up to the plug. Do each wire one at a time. If you have a dwell meter check it. Check the timing also. You should be good to go. If it is FI check the hoses and the AFM door to be sure it isn't jammed.
James Dwan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 2:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Type IV Tune-up Tragedy Reply with quote

Randy in Maine wrote:
What does the dwell meter read?

47ish
'73/'77 Westfakia
'78 SuperVert

James Dwan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 2:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Type IV Tune-up Tragedy Reply with quote

Thanks for all the replies, Iw ill have to wait until Saturday morning since it is 100 degrees by the time I get home.

The wiring for the dizzy is different on my Type IV than on my Type 1. But the ones on the right either go to #1 or #2 so that is why I switched them only.

When I seat the rotor it does not spin all the way around so the dizzy must be seated properly.
'73/'77 Westfakia
'78 SuperVert

60vwnewengland
Twin #2

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 3:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Type IV Tune-up Tragedy Reply with quote

Tcash wrote:

Link

Hands down best post of 2017.

Does Ev still give out the Chummy Awards?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 3:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Type IV Tune-up Tragedy Reply with quote

LOL!, that's hilarious! Laughing

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
cmonSTART
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 5:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Type IV Tune-up Tragedy Reply with quote

Tcash wrote:

Link

Shocked

That's a game changer!
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 6:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Type IV Tune-up Tragedy Reply with quote

I lived in NC for seven years and a guy like that was known as "A good 'ol boy".
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 6:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Type IV Tune-up Tragedy Reply with quote

That is freaking ingenious.
Someone give that "good ole boy" patent paper, I'm a buying a $8.99.

Oct. ’67 Double Cab (’68 Crew Cab)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44412.png]Click to view image[/URL]
March '69 Delivery (Panel Bus)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44414.png]Click to view image[/URL]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: