Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Custom Bus Color Schemes
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
56splitpaneljapan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 7:29 am    Post subject: Custom Bus Color Schemes Reply with quote

Well I'm at the point where I've done most of the hard work that people will never get to see and I need to choose a color for my 56 panel. The bus is low sitting on wide Porsche wheels and cross drilled discs all round now. A rebuilt type 4 engine is ready but yet to be installed. You get the picture, its far from original. Im an Australian living in Northern Japan where there certainly are not many vw's on the road so I stalk this site like most of you for info and inspiration regularly. I've been told to paint the panel one color as they were released for the resale value but seeing the bus is already quite custom I would like to go down the road of a custom single color or two tone scheme. Ive looked around for the past year and seen some amazing stuff. Im certainly not looking to rip off anyones bus ideas here and Im close to settling on a single color custom gun metal grey but wanted to throw this out there and see if others had some pics of customs that helped them settle on a paint scheme for there bus.

Appreciate it.

Rhys
BulletBus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:23 am    Post subject: Re: Custom Bus Color Schemes Reply with quote

I like the gun metal idea. But if you wanted to go two tone, just do the bottom a shade or two darker. It wouldn't be outlandish, and it would break it up a bit. My 2 cents.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Colorado Bulli
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:01 am    Post subject: Re: Custom Bus Color Schemes Reply with quote

not necessarily a "custom" color but ive always thought a Bordeaux Red bus would like nice. Im sure there may be one out there that i havent seen
Skim
Rants Master

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:42 am    Post subject: Re: Custom Bus Color Schemes Reply with quote

Colorado Bulli wrote:
not necessarily a "custom" color but ive always thought a Bordeaux Red bus would like nice. Im sure there may be one out there that i havent seen

CJSmitty is finishing up a nice solid bordeux red 23 right now. Looks killer
1954 Sunroof
1959 Lowlight Ghia vert
1960 Lt Grey Double Cab SMZ LEGIT
1963 Deluxe Turkis Walk Thru 15 Window OG Paint
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Custom Bus Color Schemes Reply with quote

titian red might work okay if you don't like ruby red, both would be VW colors.
currently i like painting the roof white, pinstripe on the swage line, and press bumper buses with 2 tone bumpers.

if you like gray, and want 2 tone, look at the 2-tone gray barndoor

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
56splitpaneljapan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 5:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Custom Bus Color Schemes Reply with quote

Awesome guys appreciate the feedback here, keep it coming. Seems like some thing really important to get right first time having never had to choose a color for a car that we could potentially take to car shows here in Japan.
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Custom Bus Color Schemes Reply with quote

Metallics scream custom and are more often associated with folks who really love all cars custom- whether VW or not. I've all too often seen metallics on buses that have carpet, velour, redrilled brakes for Hotrod type rims, etc.

Solids, especially those from other VW models, suggest "factory special order" or "could be..." which is quite a bit more intriguing to me as a VW guy. Also, just my two cents.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
rodgersbadassbus64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 7:32 am    Post subject: Re: Custom Bus Color Schemes Reply with quote

I love the colors on my pannel:)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
56splitpaneljapan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 5:33 am    Post subject: Re: Custom Bus Color Schemes Reply with quote

That panel looks absolutely awesome, super clean. I'de be pumped if mine turns out anything like this. Ive got some good ideas and will probably go two tone but still worried about pulling the trigger on a big $$ paint job. No one ever told you that it should have stayed one color?
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 5:52 am    Post subject: Re: Custom Bus Color Schemes Reply with quote

i think by the time people spot the wheels, chrome bumpers with lights cut in, chrome bullets, etc, they probably know that originality was not a goal. Does look nice and clean, though

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
crukab
Samba Chef

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 6:22 am    Post subject: Re: Custom Bus Color Schemes Reply with quote

My '66 Single came to me like this:

And I kind of like this style of "2 tone" , it's your Bus, paint what color/colors make YOU Happy....

My Pops:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604100&highlight=
I know you will always be with me, rest in peace with no more pain. 8/13/14.....

In the yard right now:
'51 Dodge 5 window truck
'65 Bug
'66 Singlecab
'82 Rabbit Truck Diesel from CALI Smile
'86 Doublecab W/T
'91 Vanagon carat/wolfsbrg.Tiico
'88 Dodge Ram pickup
'11 Jetta Wagon
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: