Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Mounting big driving/fog lamps
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:31 am    Post subject: Mounting big driving/fog lamps Reply with quote

A member recently asked me for some tips on mounting big lamps via PM and I thoughtit might provide utility for others. While the light output is amazing, mounting can be a challenge. I have Hella 4000s on the bumper - a brawny quality unit with big beam pattern and great output. For positioning, I think cosmetically they look "right" in this location:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I wanted them as far back as possible, close to lower grille. I had to estimate how high up the lights would need to be pointed for proper aiming and got it pretty darn close by using cardboard cutouts:

And the money shot and measurement you will need for this particular lamp. Looks like the lamp's pivot hole at slightly less than 4" is as close as you'll want them to the lower grill:

The mount is simple but very strong and I have a piece of aluminum from the same stock inside the bumper as a backing plate. That seems to have made all the difference as they literally never wobble - not even on washboard roads.

For a switch, I regretted sourcing a stock dash fog light switch. First, its blocked by the steering wheel and you'll need to shut these off and turn them on sometimes every couple minutes so the location was bad using the blank in the dash everyone does. You're feeling blind and its so close to the others in location and feel I never got intuitive. Second, these old switches just aren't up to the task of being thrown 30-50 times in a weekend trip. I could feel mine getting "gritty" and wearing. So I switched to a modern Carlisle switch in front of the shifter (all over the internet). Now I can see it in the dark and slap it quickly if a car appears unexpectedly knowing I'm not beating up an antique switch. I installed a rear fog lamp and am using the old switch/location for that - a 3X a year usage it will last forever in.
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Mounting big driving/fog lamps Reply with quote

Hope you don't mind me posting some pics and info in your thread Doug.

I too mounted lamps (Hella fogs) in nearly the same position. Originally, I had them mounted closer to each end of the bumper. At certain view point angles, that position likely blocked other drivers sight line to the turn signal. (say, turning in an intersection). I used the supplied brackets and found that a shortened open end wrench fit under the older style steel bumper to hold the nut while I tightened the bracket down.

Even with lower Watt bulbs and fog light pattern, they light up the roadside a little which might "buy" a split second reaction time if wildlife sighted. Bonus, and this may purely be my POV, but with the white covers on, during the day they might serve as an "eye catcher". (passing on 2 lane highways, someone else passing on same)

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
RainierSyncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 3:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Mounting big driving/fog lamps Reply with quote

Just got these Hella 4000 fog lights. It has an all metal housing and is heavy! The mounting bracket looks stout. The depth of the housing might be a bit longer than the one IdahoDoug has. These lights might end up overhanging the bumper. I do want to put them in the same spot under the inboard high beams. I think this will interfere with the lower grill though. One idea would be to toss the lower grill and put a flat grill to save an inch. I've noticed that vans in Scandinavia using the big lights have a brace on the top of the light mounted to the body under the upper grill. Got find some pictures of that set-up.

Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 3:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Mounting big driving/fog lamps Reply with quote

cosmetically???

where is the best position for proper functionality Question
16CVs Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 4:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Mounting big driving/fog lamps Reply with quote

Volkswagen actually made a bracket which attached to the crush bar and comes up behind Fibreglass bumpers for no hole mounting of fog lights.

Stacy
Samba member # 14980
Call anytime number 650 722 4914 .
Keep Your van running and upkept tastefully for the love of the hobby.
Don't let your van end up in an "abortions" thread.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RainierSyncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 3:27 am    Post subject: Re: Mounting big driving/fog lamps Reply with quote

Found one picture of the top foglight brace on a Syncro from Sweden. Hard to find stuff in the gallery when you're trying to find one specific thing. Anybody from Norway/Sweden know about these top brackets?

Also found a company in Australia that makes some decent light covers in all sorts of colors. I really like the amber over the yellow color. Trying to figure out how to buy or if the have a distributor in the states. E-mailed a friend over there to get more info.

http://www.spotlightprotection.com.au/hella-lights/hella-rallye-4000-light
OddN
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 6:00 am    Post subject: Re: Mounting big driving/fog lamps Reply with quote

Here are the original lower brackets for vans with fiberglass bumpers:

https://www.vwbusshop.de/epages/GuenzlClassicParts...80%20VA%22

As for the top support bracket, this is commonly available from Hella, Bosch and many other suppliers here in Scandinavia:

By the way, those Bosch Rally 225 lights on that swedish doka arre some of the best driving lights I have ever had (I have only two though):

LemonCove
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 7:20 am    Post subject: Re: Mounting big driving/fog lamps Reply with quote

All good solutions . . . here's another one . . .

I have four 7" Cibiés (Outer Fog/Inner Driving) mounted on my fiberglass bumper. My concerns were creating a solid mounting point, and minimizing vibration. The Cibié mounts are different than the other lights shown, and the lights cannot be removed without removing the bumper.

I sandwiched 2 aluminum plates on either side of the bumper where the lights mount, and added two stabilizing brackets between the body and the bumper. The aluminum plates not only make for a more solid attachment, they also provide a ground for the lights.

The bottom aluminum plates are glassed in. I took the opportunity to repair some cracks and repaint the bumper as part of the process.

Too many photos with comments (70) detailing the process (bumper repair and reinforcement, wiring (aux fuse panel & relays), switches, aiming, etc.) to post. (https://photos.app.goo.gl/foMpR49ReIbYbG8t2). If the link disappears pm me.

A suggestion form Jay Brown (thatvwbusguy) was to wire the fogs so they operate independent of the headlights; makes for a less intrusive, more courteous way to search for open campsites after dark.

Like Doug, I want to make the switching easier to control. I'll still have to manually activate with switches/relays I added, but linked to high beam circuit; e.g. when high beams on: fogs off/drivers on.

Top bar. Center SS bolt secures added body bracket to bumper.

Glassing in of bottom aluminum plate

Added stabilizing bracket.

RainierSyncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:41 am    Post subject: Re: Mounting big driving/fog lamps Reply with quote

Thanks OddN for the picture of the top bracket. I just needed to see what one looked like. Found it on Amazon without a problem.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: