Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Split a clipper!
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
alainlevy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:43 am    Post subject: Split a clipper! Reply with quote

Dear all,

This is my first post, so a 2 line presentation first: I have owned, lived and travelled in 3 samba busses between 1983 and 2001 (2*23 + 1*21). For various unfortunate reasons, they are all gone now and I am missing them dearly. I am trying to recreate the feeling in a way I can afford. I live in France.

I have been toying with an idea that is probably foolish, but as I cannot brush it off my head, I thought I would open it to public debate. I either need to be talked out of it, or encouraged to proceed. Here we go:

I am thinking of getting a Brazilian Kombi Klipper and transforming it into a Split.
The klipper - 1976 to 1995 - has the back of a splitscreen with all the square and corner windows, and the front of a bay.
Note that I am not at all interested in the conversion kit that was available in the UK a few years ago. I am thinking of stripping the bus completely from the front seats forward and rebuilding the front end with new parts (doglegs, floor pan, front valance, front panel, A posts) and second-hand ones (doors, dashboard, front part of the roof with visor, bumper etc).
Once that is done, I would add a grumpy metal sun roof and might sort out other cosmetic details (back lights, fuel cap door etc...).

Important: I have zero consideration for resale value or originality.

I would appreciate your input on the
- stupidity scale
- feasibility scale
- guesstimate of the cost (part and labor) , although I can probably work that out myself if I decide to move forward.

I am not sure if this post should go in the bay or split forum, so move it as you see fit.

Thank you for your feedback,

Alain
busman78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:13 am    Post subject: Re: Split a clipper! Reply with quote

Since value and originality means nothing that leaves unique which is cool, so if your wallet is a large as your idea I say go for it, you will have a unique vehicle or something a dog will not pee on.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:17 am    Post subject: Re: Split a clipper! Reply with quote

It belongs in the Split Forum just so that we can watch the gnashing of teeth

Go for it and own it. I hate lowered busses, but the guys who do it right have more working talent than I have, to which I tip my hat.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:21 am    Post subject: Re: Split a clipper! Reply with quote

Why not make memories in it as it is? The longer it takes to make it something that it's not, the less time you have to enjoy it. All you'd be doing is effectively (at this point) wear it as a status symbol, assuming it gets completed.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Globespotter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:31 am    Post subject: Re: Split a clipper! Reply with quote

Sounds feasible, not stupid, and cost will depend on availablity of parts and how much you do yourself.

I say go for it.
1971 Super Beetle - 1977-1980

1971 SB Survivor Story: https://globespotter.com/
Road Trip Thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=511800&highlight=
My 77 Westy Thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=647114&highlight=

http://vw-mplate.com/mcode.php?lang=EN&id=30990
https://vw-type2-id.xyz/mplate/72067382
shiningstar76
Samba Brewer

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 6:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Split a clipper! Reply with quote

Why would you not just buy a split?
My bus caught on fire and is now on the other coast with someone who gave me money for it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VWDog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Split a clipper! Reply with quote

A guy who lives in my neck of the woods apparently tried that kind of conversion with a Bus I once owned. He got to the point of cutting it up(i.e. the pressed emblem nose cut off) and then as far as I know, stalled. I heard rumours that nothing lined up and the narrowing of the Split was too much to cope with for his skill set. I was sad to hear that a working Bus with history had been cut up. As shiningstar76 said, Why not just get a Split? I think each Bus has its identity, why waste it?

That said, my 2 cents also include measure twice, cut once, and make damn sure it is gonna work before you embark upon such an endeavour. Very Happy

PS The Split guys will love you Twisted Evil

1970 Lotus White Single Cab 2015- , 1979 Sage Green 2014-2015, 1978 Dakota Beige Westy 2012-2015, 1978 Neptune Blue Riviera 2012-2017 , 1970 Neptune Blue Bus 2010-2012, 1970 Deluxe Savannah Beige 2010-2012, 1985 Iltis 2010- , 1962 Single Cab 2010-2013, 1975 Brasilia? Bay/Split Kombi from Brazil 2008-2011, 1985 DoKa 1999-2009, 1971 Bus 1999-2000, 1968 Double Cab 1991-1998, 1965 Ghia 1987-1991, 1970 Westfalia-bought by Mum and Dad in 1970, sold by me in 1993 why-oh-why :_(
Ksprague
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Split a clipper! Reply with quote

When did the Brazillian models switch from the split window to the Bay anyway? I know I've seen listings for Splits from Brazil dated as late as 1973 or 1974. ( I always wondered about that.)

As far as the scope of the project - it's waaaayyyy beyond my skill set so I don't really feel qualified to offer an opinion . . . other than: Life is short, if you feel moved to do this - do it. What the hell?

"The bus came by and I got on, that's when it all began."
~ Bob Weir
alainlevy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Split a clipper! Reply with quote

Quote:

- because Split prices are outrageous, even in Brazil these days, as the local market is pulled up by the international one. Whereas Bay window prices are still very reasonable. Example here http://carro.mercadolivre.com.br/MLB-842292168-kombi-93-passageiro-super-nova-_JM.
- The body will be 20 to 25 years old, instead of 40 to 50.
- It will have disk brakes,brake servo, IRS transmission, 3 point seat belts and other features right from the factory.
- Some recent models run on alcohol (am talking about the car, not the driver...). I am not sure this is an interesting feature, but would be happy to explore it.
- If it all works well, it could make a very beautiful 1990 23 window for a fraction of the cost.

Quote:
nothing lined up

That is my main worry. I would like to be sure that the width at the B posts is exactly the same + the curvature of the roof is the same. From what I have seen, it looks the same, and that makes sense as they really combined the back of a split with a bay front to cut costs, but I would need to be 200% sure before I embark on something like this.

Quote:
When did the Brazillian models switch from the split window to the Bay anyway?

Last splits were made in 1975. Then the clipper was made from 1976 to 1996.

Thank you all for your 2 cents. Keep sending! A.
Westfalia73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Split a clipper! Reply with quote

alainlevy wrote:
Quote:

- because Split prices are outrageous, even in Brazil these days, as the local market is pulled up by the international one. Whereas Bay window prices are still very reasonable. Example here http://carro.mercadolivre.com.br/MLB-842292168-kombi-93-passageiro-super-nova-_JM.
- The body will be 20 to 25 years old, instead of 40 to 50.
- It will have disk brakes,brake servo, IRS transmission, 3 point seat belts and other features right from the factory.
- Some recent models run on alcohol (am talking about the car, not the driver...). I am not sure this is an interesting feature, but would be happy to explore it.
- If it all works well, it could make a very beautiful 1990 23 window for a fraction of the cost.

Quote:
nothing lined up

That is my main worry. I would like to be sure that the width at the B posts is exactly the same + the curvature of the roof is the same. From what I have seen, it looks the same, and that makes sense as they really combined the back of a split with a bay front to cut costs, but I would need to be 200% sure before I embark on something like this.

Quote:
When did the Brazillian models switch from the split window to the Bay anyway?

Last splits were made in 1975. Then the clipper was made from 1976 to 1996.

Thank you all for your 2 cents. Keep sending! A.

Hi Alain,

I have the exact bus you are looking to buy and convert, mine is a 81 Brazilian, a 14 window bay window that is cool looking, I'm currently repairing it and have the front completely off as it was rotten.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I have an OG German 73 as well and I can tell you they are the exact same size across the front so you may struggle trying to put a split front on it from the seats forward, good luck whichever way you go, mine will stay a baywindow as baywindows rule Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Split a clipper! Reply with quote

Have you actually made any offers on any split Busses? I can't imagine most people are getting anywhere NEAR some of the absurd prices they're asking.

And so...you never stated whether you have the skill set, and the tools, such as saws, torches, welder(s), English wheel, planishing hammer, etc. Because as you're aware, you're talking about a shit-TON of fabrication. And if that kind of work comes cheap in France, then you may be in good shape...but that kind of work would cost a small fortune here in the States. So much so that, you'd probably be ahead buying a rusty, clapped-out splitty to begin with.

Otherwise, you may have answered your own question when you said:
alainlevy wrote:
I have been toying with an idea that is probably foolish...
alainlevy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 10:21 am    Post subject: Re: Split a clipper! Reply with quote

Quote:
you're talking about a shit-TON of fabrication

I was under the impression that - thanks to Klassic fab and others - most parts and panels are available already made. I was thinking it was more a constructing than a fabricating game.

Quote:
you never stated whether you have the skill set

I don't. I would have most of it done.

Quote:
that kind of work would cost a small fortune here in the States

I am in the US right now and have looked around. It looks like the prices are pretty much aligned with what we have in Europe. No major discrepancies.

Quote:

When one looks around on Google / Youtube / Forums etc... and realises that something has never been done, then he is either a genius or foolish. I am very humbly leaning towards option 2!
TomWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 10:33 am    Post subject: Re: Split a clipper! Reply with quote

Hi Alain,
I don't believe a splitty is the same width at the B pillars, but someone like Glideking on the Split forum could and probably would tell you. Roof curvatures look different to me too. Go look at Glidekings Funky truck restoral and you will see how much fab work can go into these. If it were me, I would learn to love a bay. They grow on you. I wanted a split early on, but now there is no way I would trade my bay for a splitty. Bays rock!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Split a clipper! Reply with quote

alainlevy wrote:
Quote:
you're talking about a shit-TON of fabrication

I was under the impression that - thanks to Klassic fab and others - most parts and panels are available already made. I was thinking it was more a constructing than a fabricating game.

Quote:
you never stated whether you have the skill set

I don't. I would have most of it done.

Quote:
that kind of work would cost a small fortune here in the States

I am in the US right now and have looked around. It looks like the prices are pretty much aligned with what we have in Europe. No major discrepancies.

Quote:

When one looks around on Google / Youtube / Forums etc... and realises that something has never been done, then he is either a genius or foolish. I am very humbly leaning towards option 2!

Don't get me wrong, I respect your inspiration and wishes. Just know that most KF panels don't slip in, ready to weld...most take some form of modification. And getting those rooflines to tie in - along with new A-pillars and such - would require some fairly complicated panels to be fabricated with compound curves, if it's to be done right.

I'm think I'm with others whose opinion is to rock that thing the way it is, in all it's uniqueness Cool
Bulli Klinik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 9:03 am    Post subject: Re: Split a clipper! Reply with quote

From someone who does this work and appreciates and understands your enthusiasm for a split window, buy a split window. You will be money ahead. Nothing will fit.

Possible? Yes.
A good idea? No.

That said, this is my current split:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Colorado Springs
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 4:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Split a clipper! Reply with quote

There is an Indonesian outfit that does what you are proposing, he sells world wide and has a good reputation. He can do it far less expensively with $1/hr 3rd world labor than you can in Europe.
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 4:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Split a clipper! Reply with quote

Yumos in Indonesia
TomWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:41 am    Post subject: Re: Split a clipper! Reply with quote

Manfred58sc wrote:
Yumos in Indonesia

Interesting look to those, kind of a slightly bloated splitty look.....I'd probably drive one. He doesn't show prices. I wouldn't trade my Westy for one though.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:59 am    Post subject: Re: Split a clipper! Reply with quote

I have never driven one of Yumo's creations but I have spoken with someone who has ( and knows what they are talking about ) . Build quality is very high and they have done many of them. Not sure they could be imported to the US unless it was a grey-market approach. They have made their way to Europe however ( probably via Italy, where anything can be off-loaded from a boat...)
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: