Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Sears allstate two wheeler.
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Forum Index -> Accessories/Memorabilia/Toys Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Burlyhammer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:07 am    Post subject: Re: Sears allstate two wheeler. Reply with quote

I just picked up this trailer yesterday from a junk yard. It was upside down and covered with Debris. I did not know what exactly it was until I got it home and found the VIN tag. I only thought it was a cool little trailer that could be puled behind my bus. It is rusty but not rotted. I am going back soon to see if the top is there somewhere. I like it either way.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MonT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 5:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Sears allstate two wheeler. Reply with quote

Congrats on your find. Definitely go back and sort around, you may get lucky. What are your plans with it?
63 Squareback
Engine rebuild
Trailer rebuild
Burlyhammer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 2:42 am    Post subject: Re: Sears allstate two wheeler. Reply with quote

MonT3,
We will definitely be back to look. Every time we go there we find something "new". That trailer was upside down near the entrance to the junkyard and I walked around it many times. I had been thinking about pulling a small trailer with the bus for bikes etc. and I noticed the wheel and fender sticking out of the leaves/junk. I thought it was an older yard trailer but the fender was cool. The junkyard owner was not sure where it came from and was amused at my excitement (that was before I knew what it was)
Originally I planned to pull it with our Westy for camping gear and I still will. I think eventually I would like to build a top like the OG one (if I don't find the OG one). I like very much how the trailers in this forum have been set up and hope we can represent. I just built a hitch and will be on the road with it in a few weeks.

Thanks,
Dave
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MonT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 5:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Sears allstate two wheeler. Reply with quote

Nicely done! If you haven’t done so already, check the bearings (repack them if necessary) and check those tires. I’m sure you’ll have some fun with them. Let me know if you want to push forward with building yourself a top. I can take some measurements off mine for you. The one piece that will be a challenge will the top side pieces. Shouldn’t be too hard to come up with something. What about lighting? Your last pic is nice! Trailers nice and level, again, nicely done sir!
63 Squareback
Engine rebuild
Trailer rebuild
Burlyhammer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 6:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Sears allstate two wheeler. Reply with quote

MonT3,
I'm not sure what I'm going to do about the lighting yet. I definitely want something to fit with the trailer vintage. I really liked the tie rod posts. I may do something like that. I think I have some stuff that may work. I will definitely check all moving parts. The wheels say All State so I assume they are the originals. The air that's in them was in them when I picked it up. I am still hopeful the top is where the trailer was but I would definitely appreciate measurements if I need to build a top. I made a video of it backing out of the garage. If I can figure out how to put it on YouTube or instagram I will post it the link. I think I know how Glideking felt when he first spun his rotisserie.
MonT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 8:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Sears allstate two wheeler. Reply with quote

Burlyhammer wrote:
MonT3,
I'm not sure what I'm going to do about the lighting yet. I definitely want something to fit with the trailer vintage. I really liked the tie rod posts. I may do something like that. I think I have some stuff that may work. I will definitely check all moving parts. The wheels say All State so I assume they are the originals. The air that's in them was in them when I picked it up. I am still hopeful the top is where the trailer was but I would definitely appreciate measurements if I need to build a top. I made a video of it backing out of the garage. If I can figure out how to put it on YouTube or instagram I will post it the link. I think I know how Glideking felt when he first spun his rotisserie.

Did you get a bill of sale with it? How's your state with registration of such an item like that?
63 Squareback
Engine rebuild
Trailer rebuild
Burlyhammer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 2:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Sears allstate two wheeler. Reply with quote

MonT3,
I have not yet got a bill of sale. I will get it when I go back this week to look for the top. We only need a bill of sale in Main to register trailers and vehicles over 20 years old. I should be all set.
I dug out these lights from my pile. They came off a caboose. They are kind of big and heavy, but I really like them. They have glass lenses, and the housings are cast aluminum I believe. I just set them on the back to get an idea. I will probably mount them on the sides behind the fenders if I use them.
Thanks,
Dave

MonT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:02 am    Post subject: Re: Sears allstate two wheeler. Reply with quote

Wow, those are cool but IMHO think they may be a bit large or maybe it's the housing that make them look large. There's lots of samples out there of these trailers and how they were set up. One i recall seeing was being pulled behind a Westy like yours with a westy bumpers that had been modified to fit. Really came out nice. Here's a link to where I saw that setup https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=452465&highlight=allstate+trailer. Somewhere around page 11 or 12. I toyed with the idea of placing a an early type3 bumper on mine to just to see if it flowed, just haven't gotten to it yet. I'll have to go back and make mods to my tailight brackets in order for the bumper to fit and I want to enjoy what Ii put together before doing something like that. Besides, I may not like a bumpered trailer. In retrospect, I wish I would have moved the tail lights back about 6 or 7 inches away from the edge and about an inch or so inward of the fenders edge.

Have you been able to nail down the date of the trailer? On the VINs there may be a date stamp on the upper right side?
63 Squareback
Engine rebuild
Trailer rebuild
Burlyhammer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Sears allstate two wheeler. Reply with quote

I cleaned up my VIN tag a little this morning with some Simple Green. I did not want to go crazy with it for fear of washing off the ink. I do not see any stamping like on other VIN tags with a date. Just the printed tag info. I managed to pull one wheel off without ruining any of the parts. I was going to reuse the bearings when I noticed one of my bearings was crushed a little (not by me, I swear) It still spins well, but I figured why not just replace them, then I will not worry. I found the bearings at 1 place and the seals at another place. I will look for tires on the way home from work. I am hoping Tractor Supply keeps Allstate tires stocked. I found some motorcycle lights. I wish they were red. I pondered painting the lenses. (I know) and I also dug out some sweet mud flaps.

My son thinks we are hauling this trailer to Massachusetts this weekend loaded with swap goodies. Too bad I have to work every day this week. Maybe if I tell my boss I need to work on my trailer he will understand.
We will see.
MonT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:32 am    Post subject: Re: Sears allstate two wheeler. Reply with quote

Mine was like that as well. Others have mentioned a stamp being there. I don't think you'll find allstate tires anymore as you may have to go with a modern replacement but it's worth a try. Maybe on your trip back to look for the top you can find different lights. If those lenses were red you could totally work them in with those flaps as well.
63 Squareback
Engine rebuild
Trailer rebuild
Burlyhammer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:18 am    Post subject: Re: Sears allstate two wheeler. Reply with quote

I ended up buying new tires. I bought some lights also to use until I find some fitting. I now have everything I need to get this trailer safe and usable. I plan to go by where I got the trailer after work today to look for the top and get my bill of sale. I hope I can register it using the old plate.
Burlyhammer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 4:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Sears allstate two wheeler. Reply with quote

When I pulled the other wheel off, another of the bearings was damaged just like the one in the photo above. I wonder how it happened. Well I now have the wheels back on, the lights installed, the wiring done, and I did get a bill of sale, and we are now registered. When I went to get the bill of sale, I looked around the junk yard,but I did not see the top. It may be there somewhere. The grass is 2' tall. I figure I will look around again in the fall. The PO did not remember any top, but he did not remember the trailer either, so we will see. When I pulled the tires off the rims, there was alot of rust inside around where the valve stem goes through. I wire wheeled the rust and there were some small spots where the rust went through the rim. I ended up POR 15-ing the inside of the rim, then epoxied the bad spots.
The close up photos of the rims are where I epoxied over thepor 15 and rust holes. I plan to put some inner tube rubber on the inside and that should do the job. The plan is to get the tires on in the morning. Then I will get it off the table and connected to the bus so I can cut my safety chains to length, and cut my trailer plug length correctly so it won't drag on the ground. I also need to put the electrical socket in the bus and wire that up. Hopefully I can get it all wrapped up tomorrow.

The lady at the town hall would not let me keep the original plate on and register the trailer with it, so I had to get a new plate. She told me I needed to give the plate back to the previous registered owner. I will keep my eye out for him.
MonT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 5:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Sears allstate two wheeler. Reply with quote

Glad to see you make some headway on this trailer. I’ll start getting the measurements put together for you if you want to make your own top. I’m sure you’ll find the owner of that trailer and get the plate to him so he can have a memento of this time with it.
On the wiring of my trailer to my squareback, I had to incorporate a converter in my car to accommodate the trailer lights going both the braking and signaling. Not sure how you’re will be based on the lights you get. I wrote the brand and model on my trailer build thread in my sig block. You’re almost there man!
63 Squareback
Engine rebuild
Trailer rebuild
Burlyhammer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 2:31 am    Post subject: Re: Sears allstate two wheeler. Reply with quote

MonT3,

I just read your build thread on your trailer. I saw photos of it in this thread, but did not realize that you had built it already. It has come out great. Awesome job. I would like to take my trailer to that level eventually. I definitely want to make a top for this, so measurements would be much appreciated.
Yesterday morning I got both wheels on and aired up. Before I took it off the table, I welded a bracket to the underside of the tongue to accept the jack I will be using when it is off the bus. I then got it on its wheels and hooked to the bus so I could get my wire length and safety chain length set up. I bought some safety chains from the trailer parts store, but they did not look right against the rest of the trailer and bus, so I made some out of 5/16 chain and some master locks that had no keys:

I also took care of a "slight" bend in the top rail:

Then the fender needed some heat to level out:

I did get the wiring set up, but I will also need to get a converter installed in order to get everything working the way it should.
We got it hooked up and took it for the inaugural road trip to my parents house to spend the day.
MonT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 6:20 am    Post subject: Re: Sears allstate two wheeler. Reply with quote

Very nice!!!!

I had to use the converter as well. I terminated my wires at the blade points to the rear tail light assembly to the car. Tucked the converted inside the car but am not happy with it and plan on re-addressing it as I want to mount it against tucking it in a corner. When I do mount it, It'll be on the inner shell of the car. so remove the fender, mount the device and place the fender back on. It's a couple of hours spent but I only have to do it once!

I was going to ask about the dent but you took care of it. I like the resourcefulness of your chain setup as well. Nice method! I'll get the measurements and I may have to come up with a template for the shell top to get the angles and such. I'll try to come with something to address that piece. More to follow. The bike fit perfectly!

I think you should start a build thread on your trailer as I think it's going to be going thru some transformations in the near or not so near future. You could reach out via PM to EverettB to assist in moving your pics and posts to the thread. Not sure if we're high-jacking this one or not. Just a though.
63 Squareback
Engine rebuild
Trailer rebuild
Burlyhammer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 11:19 am    Post subject: Re: Sears allstate two wheeler. Reply with quote

MonT3,
I think I will ask Everett to do that when I get to that point. My plan was to get the trailer usable and it is now there. I did pick up a converter today and should be up and running tomorrow.
Thanks for your help and info.
Burlyhammer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 7:01 am    Post subject: Re: Sears allstate two wheeler. Reply with quote

600 mile round trip loaded with swap meet goodies with the Allstate works great.
thewalrus
Big Jack

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:39 am    Post subject: Re: Sears allstate two wheeler. Reply with quote

Does anyone know the receiving ball size on their AllState trailer? I'm in the middle of restoring one and need a ball size to buy for the hitch on the bus.
60vwnewengland wrote:
Looking forward to next weekend, weed, krunk juice, hookers, blow, hanging with bums, philly, ...the awards!
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Burlyhammer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:56 am    Post subject: Re: Sears allstate two wheeler. Reply with quote

thewalrus wrote:
Does anyone know the receiving ball size on their AllState trailer? I'm in the middle of restoring one and need a ball size to buy for the hitch on the bus.

Mine takes a 7/8” ball.
Typ3nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 1:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Sears allstate two wheeler. Reply with quote

I own two and their both 7/8" receiver.
My favorite tag along camping trailer ...
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Accessories/Memorabilia/Toys All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7

Jump to: