Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Autostick Engine Upgrades
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
sshulk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 5:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Autostick Engine Upgrades Reply with quote

Q-Dog wrote:
The stock "big ugly black box" oil bath air cleaner is the best you can get for a stock carburetor. It provides the best filtering and provides proper heated air for the carburetor.

If I had the space I would run one on my dune buggy.

Oh wow, had no idea. Thanks, Ill be sure to use it.
72 Super
60 Mango Ragtop Camper Bug Project Thread
63 Ragtop Project
73 Auto Westfalia
2056 Type 4 Engine Build Thread
Filthy Buggers
sshulk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 5:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Autostick Engine Upgrades Reply with quote

sb001 wrote:
sshulk wrote:
rockerarm wrote:
Hi. If your current engine is in good condition with decent compression and/or leakdown you could play around with some minor stuff. Whether the costs involved are worth your time and personal satisfaction is a decision you need to make. As they say, it's just money and time.
So, lets begin and dispel some common rumors. Seat belts on?
1-You can install dual carbs on an auto-stick engine. You should utilize the smaller carbs such other than the monstrous Kadron's. You will have to work on relocating the filler tube for the ATF tank and the vacuum solenoid.
2- You can full flow an auto-stick case in the same manner a type 3 engine is full flowed by some folks. The engine needs to be completely did-assembled for the intense welding needed. Not recommended by many folks here. BUT, you can very easily install a by-pass oil filter as a bolt-on. You can augment this with a small sump ( 1 or 1 1/2qt) and use the sump as your return line. With this arrangement you can increase the oil capacity to nearly 5 1/2qts for approx. $200.

As far as the pertronix goes, in my opinion, do you want to learn to work on your car or have it break down in the rain on a date with no tools and parts?
Aftermarket air filters- save your money.
The exhaust- use it and see how it works out.

Please recognize that many of the suggestions I wrote about here you may not wish to transfer to your upcoming engine, for various reasons.
Hope this helps, Bill.

Good points and great information, Thanks Bill!

Yeah, I can't wait to see how much of this stuff you actually try, be sure to post photos and keep us constantly updated. Especially the guy who told you all this stuff could easily be done and was just "time and money."

Again, it's not worth the trouble. AT ALL.

Yea, I am probably going to go for something like the German Look. I will start a build thread for what I did so far. It wont be as updated so often because Of School and Work, and the Lack of Funds Very Happy but I hope you tune in to get to know my project.
72 Super
60 Mango Ragtop Camper Bug Project Thread
63 Ragtop Project
73 Auto Westfalia
2056 Type 4 Engine Build Thread
Filthy Buggers
rockerarm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Autostick Engine Upgrades Reply with quote

sb001 wrote:
sshulk wrote:
rockerarm wrote:
Hi. If your current engine is in good condition with decent compression and/or leakdown you could play around with some minor stuff. Whether the costs involved are worth your time and personal satisfaction is a decision you need to make. As they say, it's just money and time.
So, lets begin and dispel some common rumors. Seat belts on?
1-You can install dual carbs on an auto-stick engine. You should utilize the smaller carbs such other than the monstrous Kadron's. You will have to work on relocating the filler tube for the ATF tank and the vacuum solenoid.
2- You can full flow an auto-stick case in the same manner a type 3 engine is full flowed by some folks. The engine needs to be completely did-assembled for the intense welding needed. Not recommended by many folks here. BUT, you can very easily install a by-pass oil filter as a bolt-on. You can augment this with a small sump ( 1 or 1 1/2qt) and use the sump as your return line. With this arrangement you can increase the oil capacity to nearly 5 1/2qts for approx. $200.

As far as the pertronix goes, in my opinion, do you want to learn to work on your car or have it break down in the rain on a date with no tools and parts?
Aftermarket air filters- save your money.
The exhaust- use it and see how it works out.

Please recognize that many of the suggestions I wrote about here you may not wish to transfer to your upcoming engine, for various reasons.
Hope this helps, Bill.

Good points and great information, Thanks Bill!

Yeah, I can't wait to see how much of this stuff you actually try, be sure to post photos and keep us constantly updated. Especially the guy who told you all this stuff could easily be done and was just "time and money."

Again, it's not worth the trouble. AT ALL.

So, what's up? I'm "the guy" who told him it could be done. The things I mentioned are definitely achievable with, as you quoted, "time and money".
If the original poster is interested in small upgrades to a not so popular drivetrain who are you to say "it's not worth the trouble".
The items mentioned could be implemented during the owners want to see what improvements can be done to a, otherwise, stock drivetrain.
Bill.
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 10:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Autostick Engine Upgrades Reply with quote

rockerarm wrote:

So, what's up? I'm "the guy" who told him it could be done. The things I mentioned are definitely achievable with, as you quoted, "time and money".
If the original poster is interested in small upgrades to a not so popular drivetrain who are you to say "it's not worth the trouble".
The items mentioned could be implemented during the owners want to see what improvements can be done to a, otherwise, stock drivetrain.
Bill.

None of the stuff you mentioned is an "upgrade to a not so popular drivetrain," it's just solely upgrading the engine performance of a vehicle that happens to have an autostick in it so don't go dragging the autostick name through the mud yet again on here. There's already enough bullshit ignorance on here concerning the autostick. The factory mods that were made to accommodate the autostick make these upgrades not worth the trouble and I listed the reasons why.

And anyway if the autostick is "not so popular" then why go through the trouble, time and expense of "upgrading" one? Just go get a 4 speed.
rockerarm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 10:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Autostick Engine Upgrades Reply with quote

sb001 wrote:
rockerarm wrote:

Bill.

None of the stuff you mentioned is an "upgrade to a not so popular drivetrain," it's just solely upgrading the engine performance of a vehicle that happens to have an autostick in it so don't go dragging the autostick name through the mud yet again on here. There's already enough bullshit ignorance on here concerning the autostick. The factory mods that were made to accommodate the autostick make these upgrades not worth the trouble and I listed the reasons why.

And anyway if the autostick is "not so popular" then why go through the trouble, time and expense of "upgrading" one? Just go get a 4 speed.

Listen Hi-speed, I'm not going to engage in any conversation with you over what I suggested to the original poster. The word "upgrade" is subjective to many folks here. It was simple and professional, til you came along.
I didn't drag the auto-stick thru the mud and I don't do that for any model that VW built. I try and be professional and courteous to the members here, based on the experience, or opinion I may have. Oh yeah, by the way, what's your experience with working on these cars? Just wanna know who I'm dealing with.
My statements were based on what the original poster might have been interested in.
Finally, not gonna get in a bashing from you on my opinions to the original poster.
rockerarm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 10:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Autostick Engine Upgrades Reply with quote

sb001 wrote:

Because the original poster has shown an interest in "upgrades", oh shit I said it, to his late auto-stick car.
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 10:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Autostick Engine Upgrades Reply with quote

rockerarm wrote:
sb001 wrote:

Because the original poster has shown an interest in "upgrades", oh shit I said it, to his late auto-stick car.

Congrats, you completely missed the point of my question. Just like you miss the point of an autostick.

Now, go back and look at the thread title. The OP specifically asked about ENGINE upgrades. Not about the "not so popular drivetrain" and not about his "late auto-stick car." The ENGINE.
YOU were the one who brought the "not so popular drivetrain" into it. Which makes you solely responsible for the way this thread turned.

Oh well, it doesn't matter. None of your suggestions will ever take place.
johnjhazel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 5:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Autostick Engine Upgrades Reply with quote

sshulk wrote:
Q-Dog wrote:
The stock "big ugly black box" oil bath air cleaner is the best you can get for a stock carburetor. It provides the best filtering and provides proper heated air for the carburetor.

If I had the space I would run one on my dune buggy.

Oh wow, had no idea. Thanks, Ill be sure to use it.

Stock air cleaner is the best. Much engineering went into it. There is an article about it somewhere. It reduces air pollution and improves crankcase breathing if all hoses are properly connected. Among other things.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
johnjhazel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Autostick Engine Upgrades Reply with quote

Has anyone one tried this ? If I ever get another autostick and it WILL be a dual port, I would love to try this:

http://vwparts.aircooled.net/Super-Stock-34-PICT-3-34-3-Carburetor-12V-Bocar-p/super-stock-34-3.htm

It can easily be tapped for the correct vacuum port for the control valve although using the correct vacuum source seems almost nonexistent these days.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:32 am    Post subject: Re: Autostick Engine Upgrades Reply with quote

johnjhazel wrote:
Has anyone one tried this ? If I ever get another autostick and it WILL be a dual port, I would love to try this:

http://vwparts.aircooled.net/Super-Stock-34-PICT-3-34-3-Carburetor-12V-Bocar-p/super-stock-34-3.htm

It can easily be tapped for the correct vacuum port for the control valve although using the correct vacuum source seems almost nonexistent these days.

Interesting--but looks like you've got to change out the cam and exhaust as well to make it function properly.
I have zero issues with acceleration on my single port 30 PICT 3 engine... could it be faster? Probably, but not worth all that money and hassle to find out IMO.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: