Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Buying a bus in California and bringing her back to Canada...
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brokenshire
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 2:19 pm    Post subject: Buying a bus in California and bringing her back to Canada... Reply with quote

Hello all!
I am here near downtown Vancouver, Canada and plan on purchasing my fourth bus. However most are in California. My plan is to purchase and drive her gently back into Canada. I can't bring my tools or spare parts. She would be a '68-'71 Bus. I know about the auto broker and the 72 hours. I might travel all the way to California but not like what I see. Plus payment might be an issue?!?
Any advice? As I haven't purchased from outside of Canada before.
Thanks everyone!
pioneer1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 2:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Buying a bus in California and bringing her back to Canada... Reply with quote

When I headed south to purchase my P car I had a bank draft made out to the seller. This helped at US customs with the limit of $10k crossing the border..

'85 Porsche 911 Targa

'76 Westfalia project
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 3:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Buying a bus in California and bringing her back to Canada... Reply with quote

I sold a bus (Number 9) here in New Mexico to buyers from Toronto. They came down with sufficient US cash to pay (it was over US$10,000, but the two shared the load so that there were no customs issues). They drove it back with no issues, since I had already got it into good running condition. We all acknowledged that there was a risk that they would not like the bus, in which case they would have to fly back. Fortunately, they liked what they saw and this all worked out.

So, it can be done. Tools and spares can be in checked luggage, no?
1969 Transporter, 1971 Westfalia, 1976, 1977, 1976, 1977, 1971, 1973, 1977 Westfalias,
1979 Champagne Sunroof, 1974 Westfalia Automatic, 1979 Transporter, 1972 Sportsmobile, 1973 Transporter Wild Westerner, 1974 Westfalia parts bus
, 1975 Mexican single cab *FOR SALE*, 1978 Irish 4-door double cab RHD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Globespotter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 3:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Buying a bus in California and bringing her back to Canada... Reply with quote

This is what I have done:

1. Ask for detailed, clear photos of all of the vehicle, especially any of the worst parts.

2. Pay for a full pre-purchase inspection from a reputable 3rd party Air Cooled VW mechanic prior to buying. Ask here for recommendations.

3. If I find one that I want to buy after examining all detailed photos and passing the pre-purchase inspection, I provide a deposit via PayPal - usually $1000 and go pick up the vehicle and pay the balance in US Cash.

4. If the vehicle is safe and drive-able the distance you need to get back, drive it, else get it shipped. I have done both. I drove a 1971 VW Super Beetle across the country from California to Toronto, and I had a bus shipped by rail from Vancouver to Toronto. (For buses especially, I would be cautious about driving unless you know that all the fuel lines have been replaced.)

5. Best is to know buses inside and out. Know their weak spots and what to look for. Try to get one that is as original and solid as possible. Mechanical can be fixed. Rust is harder.

6. The actual importation process is pretty simple if you make sure your paperwork is in order and US Customs gets the info at the border 72 hours prior to crossing.

7. You may need to take licence plates with you if you want to drive it. I was lucky - my Beetle still had valid CA plates and sticker. In-Transit stickers can be a bit tricky in CA as it may require you to change ownership there which can get complicated.
1971 Super Beetle - 1977-1980

1971 SB Survivor Story: https://globespotter.com/
Road Trip Thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=511800&highlight=
My 77 Westy Thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=647114&highlight=

http://vw-mplate.com/mcode.php?lang=EN&id=30990
https://vw-type2-id.xyz/mplate/72067382
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 4:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Buying a bus in California and bringing her back to Canada... Reply with quote

Importing USA to Canada
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/search.php?searc..._chars=200
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 6:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Buying a bus in California and bringing her back to Canada... Reply with quote

What part of California? It might be thrifty to have a pre-purchase inspection (PPI) done to minimize time wasted if it does not pan out to be as expected.

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Buying a bus in California and bringing her back to Canada... Reply with quote

There is no limit to the amount of cash that can be transported across the U.S. Border. $10,000 in negotiables or more must be declared, though. Have your paperwork with you and contact info and transaction details.

Splitting 10k between two parties to avoid declaring it is a really bad idea. Consult your attorney for details, not the Internet.
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Buying a bus in California and bringing her back to Canada... Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:

Splitting 10k between two parties to avoid declaring it is a really bad idea. Consult your attorney for details, not the Internet.

Especially if your buddy is no where to be found on the other side of the border!
Laughing
Tcash
Brokenshire
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 6:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Buying a bus in California and bringing her back to Canada... Reply with quote

Thanks everyone Very Happy
The bus is a 1971 in Southern California! Talking with my Bank regarding payment options. Preparing what I can before I go, if I go...
I am getting another bus no matter what. But from who?
I will work with all of your advice.
It would be so much easier to find one in Canada like before!
The seller has been more than helpful with photos and videos.
We shall see!
Thanks again!!!!
Globespotter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Buying a bus in California and bringing her back to Canada... Reply with quote

You may find one in BC. I got mine in Vernon BC. It certainly makes it easier. You may have to do some sleuthing to find one. but it can be done.
1971 Super Beetle - 1977-1980

1971 SB Survivor Story: https://globespotter.com/
Road Trip Thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=511800&highlight=
My 77 Westy Thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=647114&highlight=

http://vw-mplate.com/mcode.php?lang=EN&id=30990
https://vw-type2-id.xyz/mplate/72067382
MaddMatt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 2:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Buying a bus in California and bringing her back to Canada... Reply with quote

You should buy one in Arizona. Dry weather keeps the metal rust free and buses cost 30%-40% less here.

Owned: 71 Superbeetle, 72 Superbeetle, 63 Baja (on 69 pan) 74 baja, 74 Karmann Ghia

Own: 71 Deluxe Bus
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
captincanuck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 3:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Buying a bus in California and bringing her back to Canada... Reply with quote

MaddMatt wrote:
You should buy one in Arizona. Dry weather keeps the metal rust free and buses cost 30%-40% less here.

Exactly what I did. Was my 1st ebay purchase in 2003. Seller picked me up at the airport and I drove it back to Canada after filling up on some delicious local eats. Just got a trip permit in the window, no plates. Not a single person gave me a second look. Had to leave the registration at the boarder for the 72hours before bringing it in. But you know all about that already
Brokenshire
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Buying a bus in California and bringing her back to Canada... Reply with quote

Thanks again everyone!
I shall follow your advice!
New question! The seller and I have been emailing back and forth a lot and now the talk of payment is coming up! Well, actually the talk of a deposit! I asked for lots of photos and even a video of the bus on the road driving plus am also working on the inspection. If all that goes okay. He is asking for a 25% deposit through pay pal. Before I even get there to see her in person!
Any experience with such????
Thanks,Brian...
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 3:38 am    Post subject: Re: Buying a bus in California and bringing her back to Canada... Reply with quote

Pay pal is fine but don't send more than you are willing to lose.

Regular pay pal is recoverable after a grievance period of 30-60 days. Friends and Family pay pal is not.

You should have an agreed price, contingent in your inspection of listed components, and a firm date to come inspect and close, to protect both parties' interests.
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 6:39 am    Post subject: Re: Buying a bus in California and bringing her back to Canada... Reply with quote

The seller wants a huge deposit without you seeing it? That raises a red flag in my mind. If it were me, I'd refuse. And if the seller insists, walk away. There are too many scams being played, and there are too many available VWs to risk the loss.

"I must say, how can you be in a bad mood driving this vehicle full of vibrant color.
Cars of today are so bland in comparison. It's like driving a celebration!"
---WildIdea

Bus ownership via emoticons:
Very Happy Shocked Mad Sad Embarassed d'oh! Pray Brick wall Pray Dancing Dancing Dancing ---williamM
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Brokenshire
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 5:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Buying a bus in California and bringing her back to Canada... Reply with quote

Hello again everyone!
I have a seller with a 1970 Bus, the price is around $9000 USD.
He is fairly insistent on me wiring $7000 before I even see the bus in person. Plus if he has a better offer, he may sell the bus before I can see it in mid August, with my deposit returned to me...
What?!?!?!?!?
I am interested but there are plenty of other buses around.
I am willing to wire $500 for the bus to be held until I arrive but not almost the whole purchase price...
Just had to pass this on...
Thanks!!!!!
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 6:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Buying a bus in California and bringing her back to Canada... Reply with quote

Brokenshire wrote:
Hello again everyone!
He is fairly insistent on me wiring $7000 before I even see the bus in person. Plus if he has a better offer, he may sell the bus before I can see it in mid August, with my deposit returned to me...
What?!?!?!?!?
I am willing to wire $500 for the bus to be held until I arrive but not almost the whole purchase price...
Thanks!!!!!

Not a good way to do business at all. Any deposits should go to a third party to be held in escrow. You have to be ready to go to snag a good Bus but not desperate.
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 6:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Buying a bus in California and bringing her back to Canada... Reply with quote

Where I should the bus? I'm driving the entire state of California next week, and doing one PPE in Napa already....

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 7:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Buying a bus in California and bringing her back to Canada... Reply with quote

Brokenshire wrote:
Hello again everyone!
What?!?!?!?!?
Thanks!!!!!

Run away, unless Robbie can get an eye on it ahead of putting down any deposits and get a feel for the seller's moral fortitude as well.

Sounds a bit like this bus (or something similar): https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=656825

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
richard123vmt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 8:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Buying a bus in California and bringing her back to Canada... Reply with quote

What you need to know about rust-free cars, avoid the coast. That may make a crimp in your touristic goals. But anywhere in the Central Valley is best. On the other hand, the cars for sale anywhere else may also be central valley in origin. Along the coast they do rust badly. I spent about 5 years on the coast and got rust to my rust free bus. Had to have the floor welded.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: