Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

5 speed in 82 Diesel Vanagon
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:26 am    Post subject: Re: 5 speed in 82 Diesel Vanagon Reply with quote

If you have the later carrier bars then I would look at these. They utilize the bars original attachment bolt, but support a hydraulic mount. I can't make those for what they are selling for. No affiliation with the seller.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1382462
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:57 am    Post subject: Re: 5 speed in 82 Diesel Vanagon Reply with quote

Those are exactly what I was talking about.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
Gizmoman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 5:58 pm    Post subject: Re: 5 speed in 82 Diesel Vanagon Reply with quote

My apologies for reviving this thread but there was some discussion threaded throughout that mentioned 5 speed linkages, mods and other bits.

I just did a custom cable shift to control my rebuilt AAP 5-speed and while it works fairly well, the biggest issue is the 1st to 2nd change (as mentioned previously). I realize this is a spring loaded affair - away from first. I wonder if possibly removing the spring could assist with the 1st to 2nd transition.
If anyone with some experience with this would chime in, I'd really appreciate some opinions.

As it stands now, if I could get my hands on all the components required to install the stock 5-speed shift, I might go that route. I have been cruising ebay UK in hopes of finding all the parts but alas, no luck as yet.

Agaion, any assistance would be welcomed.
Jim
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bridgetroll13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 7:57 am    Post subject: Re: 5 speed in 82 Diesel Vanagon Reply with quote

I did not read back through the whole thread but I'm pretty sure someone pointed out that the 4 speed linkage can be modified to work wiihtout much effort. I got the front portion of the 5 speed linkage when I bought the 5 speed box but had to buy the back portion of a 4 speed linkage as the original 5 speed rear section was lost in shipping. It works just fine without modification.

I don't know what impact moving the trans back to accommodate the additional length has on using a standard later non-diesel style 4 speed linkage has.

Erik

AAZ / AAP
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 7:59 am    Post subject: Re: 5 speed in 82 Diesel Vanagon Reply with quote

Are you asking about removing the spring in the transmission?
bridgetroll13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 8:01 am    Post subject: Re: 5 speed in 82 Diesel Vanagon Reply with quote

BTW... the shift from "1st" to second is pretty notchy even with the stock linkage. I think that's more a peculiarity of the box than the linkage.

Erik
Gizmoman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 8:53 am    Post subject: Re: 5 speed in 82 Diesel Vanagon Reply with quote

MarkWard wrote:
Are you asking about removing the spring in the transmission?

If your question was a response to me then yes. It's a last ditch effort though and I am going to see what adjusting the cables or changing pivot arm lengths might do first.
Here is a link to my cable shift post which I just added to this morning.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=681726&highlight=

The addition is regarding Bentley 35.65b which shows two different springs were used - older and newer.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: