Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Access to a shop manual/parts list for a 72 Ghia
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
NYGhiaGirl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 5:08 am    Post subject: Access to a shop manual/parts list for a 72 Ghia Reply with quote

Hi, I am somewhat new here. My husband is usually the one on the forums as we have built Manx's and other kitcars. He is the VW mechanic in the family. However, we just got a 72 Ghia 'vert to restore and this is my project to research etc. I have been assigned the task of finding a shop manual/parts list? He has all of the service books etc and can do the mechanical stuff with his eyes closed, but this will be a first with disassembling a full car and not a fiberglass project. We want to make sure nothing is missing from all the rust etc as the pictures and catalogs dont really get into as much detail as we would like. I am really excited about this project and cant wait to start taking it apart.
2 Meyers Tow'ds
Porsche 914
Volfandt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 5:36 am    Post subject: Welcome aboard Reply with quote

As a VW newbie myself, I've got 2 manuals that have been invaluable.
I got them both from Amazon.com but I've since found out that many VW parts providers carry them, including most if not all the advertisers here on this site.
1) Bentleys shop manual. This is the official shop manual and for 72 and up it has an orange cover. It covers the Type 1 Beetles and Ghia's. Mine is a hardback w/color wireing diagrams. It is a must have.

2) How to keep your Volkswagon alive (a manual of step by step procedures for compleat idiot) by John Muir. It's an entertaining and informative read that covers VW's. It's written in everyday language with many terms from back in the day. Theres some handy tips & tricks in it but, in the case where it conflicts w/the Bentley, go by the Bentley Very Happy . Otherwise if you don't know VW's this book/manual will definitely enlighten you Very Happy

3) read and search for info right here on The Samba. Don't limit your quest for info to just the Ghia forum. I've found the needed info in many forums here.
Also, the classifieds are a very important source for parts. I've used them extensively and have yet to get "ripped off". That said, buyer always beware tho.

4) post questions here. Theres a world of expertice here, take advantage of it.

Good luck. I've just recently got my 72 coupe road worthy. It's my 1st VW and I'm highly enjying it Very Happy
Dave
NYGhiaGirl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks.. knowing VW's isnt so much the problem as my husband is very leary about the body work. So he has me second guessing myself in the quest for what could possibly be missing on the car that is Ghia specific. Yes this could be reality TV worthy in our household. The neighbors love it when we start a new project together.... I think they sit outside just to see what will happen next.
2 Meyers Tow'ds
Porsche 914
John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you don't have the '72 owners manual, although basic it has quite a lot of useful info. You'll find it on the top menu bar under the "Technical" label: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/manuals/8_72ghia.php

You can also download the "1960 VW Karmann Ghia Shop Manual - Body Section" from the Ghia Archive here. Although it's labelled "1960" there's quite a lot of bodywork information that you'll find relevant throughout the lifespan of Ghia production: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/manuals/1960_karmann_ghia_workshop_manual.php

...and of course the largest archive of practical Ghia knowledge on The Internet in the form of our Ghia Forum contributors.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
faosto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 10:38 pm    Post subject: Found a manual online Reply with quote

Thought I would share this. Actually found it for the vanagon but good source for the ghia as well.

http://oemrepairmanuals.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_11&products_id=19
jason_hamilton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Complete exploded parts diagram at www.type-14.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jwold
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

See if House of Ghia still has their parts catalog available. Tons of good information in there with diagrams, though most are hand drawn. Still very helpful.
CiderGuy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jason_hamilton wrote:
Complete exploded parts diagram at www.type-14.com

Can you be a little more specific ? I saw lots of links but none that referred to parts diagram ...

1970 Karmann Ghia Coupe
1973 Karmann Ghia Coupe - Project car for sale
1970 Karmann Ghia Convertible (Body off restoration)

Timing is everything
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the top left, click "Parts List"

Also the KGPR catalog has exploded views of every body part, rubber part.... very clear and easy to understand pics.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
akear
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also this version is available online. Do you know German? Even if not, the images are nice and clear on this one to see how things fit together...
http://www.vw-classicparts.info/kataloge/Typ14KarmannGhia/html5.html#/1
PolarBearVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Access to a shop manual/parts list for a 72 Ghia Reply with quote

^^ Old thread but worthy of a bump as I had not seen this site before.

It's very helpful especially since type-14.com is now dead.
jason_hamilton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 8:06 am    Post subject: Re: Access to a shop manual/parts list for a 72 Ghia Reply with quote

tjschmidty wrote:
^^ Old thread but worthy of a bump as I had not seen this site before.

It's very helpful especially since type-14.com is now dead.

http://216.120.237.3/~typeaa/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: