Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Dash pad
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
i_luv_my_bus76
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 10:34 pm    Post subject: Dash pad Reply with quote

Will a dashpad from a 71 fit/work in a 69? I've heard the 71 to 77 dash pads are different, I have the opportunity to purchase a clean 71 dash pad for my 69 project
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 11:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Dash pad Reply with quote

71 dash pad has forward facing heat vents into the cabin as well as the ones on top of the dash, also there was a fresh air fan switch on 71 right next to the dash brake warning light, so the cutout on 71 dash pad for that section is rectangular ro accomodate both those items, instead of just one round cutout for the brake warning light like in a 69.

69:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

71:

The 71 dash pad would fit, but it wouldn't look right.
ROCKOROD71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 6:49 am    Post subject: Re: Dash pad Reply with quote

^^incorrect.
The 71 standards had the same dashpad as your 69. The original one is in my car right now. The fan only came on the 71 Super Beetle (71-72 1302 models had flat windshield and thus the flat dash). Also, the pic SB001 uses is from a 72, as it is missing the windshield wiper knob that WOULD be to the left of the fan/brake light hole. 72 got the wiper lever on the steering column. The 71 Super dash is a weird meshing of the two, see for yourself in the owners manual. No one reproduces those either.
Check to see what the dash you are interested in came from, or ask for pictures. That is the only way to be sure. If it is a reproduction dash it is likely the first one pictured.

30 years from now, the next guy may not want your girlfriend, but he may want your classic car, depending on how nice you were to it.

asiab3 wrote:

Careful guys, a petulant child can grow up to be president these days.

**winter drivers: no survivors!**rust warrior**#keepbodyshopsbusy**
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 8:03 am    Post subject: Re: Dash pad Reply with quote

WestCoast Metric and Wolfsburg West both sell the correct post-'71 flat windshield dash. WW's is actually source from WCM.

'74 Super 9/16 - present, in refurb process.
'73 Super - 6/18 - Present - Daily Driver!
'75 Super Le Grande...waiting it's turn in line behind '74.
Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 8:14 am    Post subject: Re: Dash pad Reply with quote

ROCKOROD71 wrote:
^^incorrect.
The 71 standards had the same dashpad as your 69. The original one is in my car right now. The fan only came on the 71 Super Beetle (71-72 1302 models had flat windshield and thus the flat dash). Also, the pic SB001 uses is from a 72, as it is missing the windshield wiper knob that WOULD be to the left of the fan/brake light hole. 72 got the wiper lever on the steering column. The 71 Super dash is a weird meshing of the two, see for yourself in the owners manual. No one reproduces those either.
Check to see what the dash you are interested in came from, or ask for pictures. That is the only way to be sure. If it is a reproduction dash it is likely the first one pictured.

Yeah after I posted that I was wondering about the missing wiper knob, I am afraid most vendors market that one as for a 71 though.
Although I could have sworn that even the 71-up standard models had the extra vents.

EDIT: See?

http://www.westcoastmetric.com/i-22964513-113-051b.html

Even WCM markets the one I posted as for STANDARD bugs 71-74 as well as the 71-72 Supers.
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 8:25 am    Post subject: Re: Dash pad Reply with quote

And here is a picture from the classifieds of a 71 standard bug dash:

Looks just like the one I posted minus the cutout for the windshield wiper switch. Still has the forward facing vents that the 69 does not have, plus the rectangular cutout for the brake dash warning light vs the round cutout on the 69.
ROCKOROD71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 8:56 am    Post subject: Re: Dash pad Reply with quote

I went back and took a closer look at the manual. Apparently the dash fan WAS optional for the standards as well, But I have never seen one with the brake light and NO fan switch in that square hole, like there would have been a special "delete plate" plastic bezel for the ones without the fan. When I got my bug in 1997, it still had the regular fresh air box in it an d the guy I bought it from had the fan type with the car that he "never got around to installing." My dash looks like the pre-71 dash, and the OG orange paint behind it peeking out. I have completely gone though the dash on the front AND backsides doing wiring and whatnot, and there is no access hole for that fan switch in the metal dash either. I mounted my fan switch under the dash. I believe the dash pad to be original to the car because I have never taken it off, it looks weathered enough and there is still the factory glue/foam when you look at it from the radio cutout. The texture is also a match, and it has the cutout for the speaker on the LH side and it is nice and clean, not hacked like one would do with an aftermarket dash. The speaker and bracket are long gone, I never even had them. I suppose it could have been changed before I bought the car, but WHY? Unless the OG one was completely trashed it is a lot of work for little gain, and my car was no prized pig when I bought it, pretty much a neglected daily driver its whole life.

I never got a birth certificate from VW for my car but what I am thinking now is that perhaps the early production 71s used leftover stuff from the 70 models and these were the "optional" cars that didn't have the fan? 71 is a weird crossover year for the sedans and VW was known to do stuff like that. Can't get to the car now but I can post a pic of my dash eventually.

30 years from now, the next guy may not want your girlfriend, but he may want your classic car, depending on how nice you were to it.

asiab3 wrote:

baldessariclan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 9:22 am    Post subject: Re: Dash pad Reply with quote

I've got a 1971 standard Beetle (not super), and it's stock dash looks exactly like those pictured below. (I don't have the optional cigarette lighter, however)

Note also the "Plain Jane" style steering wheel, lack of door pockets, and other "missing" features common to the 1971 year (and following?) standard Beetles. Think that the Super Beetle models got the fancier steering wheel and cabin details from 1971 forward.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ROCKOROD71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 9:42 am    Post subject: Re: Dash pad Reply with quote

OH damn! That is the "delete plate" I was just speaking of! looks like a simple plug for where the fan switch would go. So maybe mine WAS changed out at some point? Still...there is no hole in the metal dash for the fan switch on mine. Weird...

asiab3 wrote:

sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 10:16 am    Post subject: Re: Dash pad Reply with quote

ROCKOROD71 wrote:
OH damn! That is the "delete plate" I was just speaking of! looks like a simple plug for where the fan switch would go. So maybe mine WAS changed out at some point? Still...there is no hole in the metal dash for the fan switch on mine. Weird...

Does yours not also have the forward facing (into the cabin) vents in the dash? Dashes through 1970 did not have those either. Honestly I think that's the biggest difference between the two dashes- that's why I said the 71 would fit but wouldn't look right.
ROCKOROD71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 10:43 am    Post subject: Re: Dash pad Reply with quote

sb001 wrote:
ROCKOROD71 wrote:

Does yours not also have the forward facing (into the cabin) vents in the dash? Dashes through 1970 did not have those either. Honestly I think that's the biggest difference between the two dashes- that's why I said the 71 would fit but wouldn't look right.

Nope, my dash DOES have those vents that come straight at you, on both sides, and no grab handle. Those are also not hacked in, they seem like part of the pad. I think whats going on is I have the rarest dash pad on earth, someone should probably pay me thousands of dollars for it! Laughing

asiab3 wrote:

vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 1:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Dash pad Reply with quote

The one I bought a couple of year back from WCM had all of the vent holes, but not the plastic piece that's inserted in the factory dashes. i had to pull those from my old dash.

BTW - I ended up selling the WCM dash and using instead a dash from a '73 that I found on the samba classifieds. i did have to cut the holes for the oh-shit bar.

'74 Super 9/16 - present, in refurb process.
'73 Super - 6/18 - Present - Daily Driver!
'75 Super Le Grande...waiting it's turn in line behind '74.
Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
hperez71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 1:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Dash pad Reply with quote

Vendors are selling the same dash for a '72 for a '71. If you want to use if in a '71 you'll need to cut the hole for the wiper knob which was moved to the steering column in '72.

20+ years ago I bought a very good dash pad for a '71 SB that came with the front facing vents and no grab handle holes. I can't seem to remember who was the supplier and can't even try find a receipt on that. Seems like no one is selling the '71 SB dash with the front facing vents already installed.
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 3:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Dash pad Reply with quote

hperez71 wrote:
Vendors are selling the same dash for a '72 for a '71. If you want to use if in a '71 you'll need to cut the hole for the wiper knob which was moved to the steering column in '72.

20+ years ago I bought a very good dash pad for a '71 SB that came with the front facing vents and no grab handle holes. I can't seem to remember who was the supplier and can't even try find a receipt on that. Seems like no one is selling the '71 SB dash with the front facing vents already installed.

20+ years ago? Must have been JC Whitney out of their mail order catalog. I miss those days...

Last edited by sb001 on Tue May 16, 2017 3:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 3:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Dash pad Reply with quote

ROCKOROD71 wrote:

Nope, my dash DOES have those vents that come straight at you, on both sides, and no grab handle. Those are also not hacked in, they seem like part of the pad. I think whats going on is I have the rarest dash pad on earth, someone should probably pay me thousands of dollars for it! Laughing

Pics are demanded
ROCKOROD71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 6:12 am    Post subject: Re: Dash pad Reply with quote

Did not forget this thread. snapped some pics while working on my "floors" (separate PSA thread about that goin up shortly). Anyhow here are my notes on the gallery pics:
dash pad on my 71, no square cutout for brake light/fan switch, just circular one, pre-71 style. Inward facing vents 71+ style, wiper switch hole as 71 down. No grab handle. Aftermarket? Early production using 1970s leftovers?

It COULD be an aftermarket dash but all the switch holes are cut clean, I have owned this car since 1995 and this dash has been there the whole time. I dunno if the originals went bad within 24 years but all forms of fuckery are certainly possible. Unless the OG pad was hacked to bits for some reason or a dog got at it I can't see a reason to take the effort involved in replacing it. I never have! Laughing The metal dash behind it is unmolested, even the radio hole has never been cut larger. Sapphire radio I had in before this Blaupunkt popped right in.
I welcome all the comments....

asiab3 wrote:

bnam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:18 am    Post subject: Re: Dash pad Reply with quote

The pre-71 dash had the hole for the brake warning light in a centered position between the headlight and wiper switches. But the one you've posted above has the brake light offset to the right like in the 71s. So, it's possible that early on there were 2 versions of the 71 pads -- one for the fan switch option and one without. Later, they consolidated into one design with the use of a delete plate.

Byas
garyt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 1:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Dash pad Reply with quote

I once had a 1302 with a metal dash with a plastic grab handle. I really miss that dash.
busman78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:42 am    Post subject: Re: Dash pad Reply with quote

Here is a picture of the original 1971 dash pad from my mom's bug. pulled it out in June, converting the dash to all metal. The bug did not come with the optional fresh air blower, the hole to the left of the ashtray I added for my dad wanted a switch installed. If needed I have a picture of a WCM replacement dash pad that was purchased in 2009 and is still in the plastic bag.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: