Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Net Neutrality
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 3:23 pm    Post subject: Net Neutrality Reply with quote

Is this just another scam or is it for real. I hate feeling dumb about some of this stuff, but if it is for real what can I do?
This site is faster than any bus I know and I don't want theSamba going any slower.
If I was sucked into another scam thing, sorry I'm wasting space here on the samba.

Sometimes it's funny who we feel we can trust for the correct answers.

.·´¯`·.¸. , . .·´¯`·..><((((º>

# 303 and #156

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 4:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Net Neutrality Reply with quote

Once you let the service providers choose which content to pass along fast or slow, you have given them ultimate power.

We KNOW it will be abused. Look at Google placing their paid advertisers higher in search results (after first denying they did it).

And now that we have broken down the regulatory firewall between CONTENT and INFRASTRUCTURE, you have situations like the LA Dodgers being unavailable to 40% of Los Angeles residences for the fourth year in a row, because Time Warner owns the both the games AND the internet service.

So first we gave them the right to make their own content, and now we will let them give preferential treatment to their own content over others.

Where is the "free exchange of ideas" the internet promised us? GONE.

Once you allow this, we people are little more than writers to the "letters to the editor" of a newspaper (a for-profit enterprise) who can choose whether to publish, and can edit, your submission. The internet was to be our last media outlet that was unfettered by Big Money.

This is so antithecal to the basis for the WWW it is amazing it is even an issue. Except that Big Money behind service providers is doing the talking for US. Especially after the SCOTUS decided corporations are "people" and can give unlimited campaign money (unlike you and me), there is no hope for sane regulation unless we rise up and burn down the internet in protest.

Oh, did you want a shorter answer? Sorry. Wink
hazetguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 4:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Net Neutrality Reply with quote

https://www.battleforthenet.com/

https://www.battleforthenet.com/july12/
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 6:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Net Neutrality Reply with quote

Net neutrality isn't just about the price of gas in China. You can like it to a society with and without taxes. Once you open the floodgate, even a little, everything else flows through.

If you are really interested in digital rights look up the EFI (Electronic Frontier Foundation). I've seen them readily mentioned in the rights of Electronics. Depending on your political view you might not like the side they lean on.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Fish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Net Neutrality Reply with quote

Thank you all for the information. It's not a scam and I/we should do what we can to keep it neutral. I'm going to write my congressman and let him/her know how I feel.

# 303 and #156

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:59 am    Post subject: Re: Net Neutrality Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
Once you let the service providers choose which content to pass along fast or slow, you have given them ultimate power.

Where is the "free exchange of ideas" the internet promised us? GONE.

The internet was to be our last media outlet that was unfettered by Big Money.

You mean like Photobucket?
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
Fish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 1:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Net Neutrality Reply with quote

So I checked into this and my congressman has been saying he is for it, but I found out he is taking 28K from two cable companies. The old political double standard??? I wrote him and told him to knock it off if he wants my support next time around. I'll have to wait and see if I had any pull on this or not.

# 303 and #156

heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 1:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Net Neutrality Reply with quote

Convince him your vote is worth 28k. Maybe he will listen then.
5% Off your order with coupon code: 5%OFF
Restored Distributors Available (<--Click here)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Volks Wagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 1:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Net Neutrality Reply with quote

Fish wrote:
So I checked into this and my congressman has been saying he is for it, but I found out he is taking 28K from two cable companies. The old political double standard??? I wrote him and told him to knock it off if he wants my support next time around. I'll have to wait and see if I had any pull on this or not.

Publish that info, or offer to not publish it for $27K.

I'm definitely, probably, the worlds greatest lover.

Aithníonn ciaróg ciaróg eile.
Fish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 4:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Net Neutrality Reply with quote

Volks Wagen wrote:
Fish wrote:

Publish that info, or offer to not publish it for $27K.

Its already published on the web.

https://www.opensecrets.org/politicians/contrib.ph...p;newmem=N

Number 8 and 14.

Look up your own representative. https://www.opensecrets.org

# 303 and #156

67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 4:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Net Neutrality Reply with quote

Well... this is it... Net Neutrality is over, the FCC has gone back on it. How does everyone feel about this?
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
World Series Champions 2016
KentPS wrote:
...or the PO envied the terrorists' bus in "Back to the Future". Laughing

mukluk wrote:
He's fine, just waiting for the dragon in winklepickers to move out of his lane.
Fish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 4:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Net Neutrality Reply with quote

While I have yet to see or feel the effects of this new change, I am still NOT for it. This is not good for our country or the world. It is basically censorship.

# 303 and #156

Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 4:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Net Neutrality Reply with quote

67ctbug wrote:
How does everyone feel about this?

Terrible. It's going to take a while before everything starts to suck because it's going to take a while for corporations to learn just how far they can penny pinch you.

If anyone needs a recommendation on how to bypass certain things, take a look at this VPN

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 4:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Net Neutrality Reply with quote

I also feel terrible. I dd hear multiple states were going to sue or something like that. Could states make their own laws regarding ti?
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
World Series Champions 2016
KentPS wrote:
...or the PO envied the terrorists' bus in "Back to the Future". Laughing

mukluk wrote:
He's fine, just waiting for the dragon in winklepickers to move out of his lane.
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 4:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Net Neutrality Reply with quote

States are allowed to make any laws which do not contradict Federal law. The same goes for County, City, and Parish. At each level a new set of laws is added for which that government is restrained or not restrained by. If there are no laws then any law can be made about the subject matter.

That being said, there are exceptions where laws are passed where the entity above has a law.

This can get even more complicated but the basic concept is that of the first paragraph. If something is made legal the government below it can not make it illegal. If something is made illegal the government below it can not make it legal.
5% Off your order with coupon code: 5%OFF
Restored Distributors Available (<--Click here)
Zeen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 4:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Net Neutrality Reply with quote

I have mixed feelings about this. Yeah, we don't like the idea of the providers being able to favor some content over others. But this idea came about before streaming video became such a huge portion of the traffic. It's an unfair subsidy to companies like Netflix to let them hog the pipes for free.
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:49 am    Post subject: Re: Net Neutrality Reply with quote

Sorry if you find what I say off track, but:
Federal law states that marijuana is an illegal substance.
CA says that it's cool to blaze up (under state regulations)

So if states say that the whole pay to play thing is bullsh*rt, then should we side against the federal law thing?

The net neutrality repeal is bullshit either way, honestly we can all agree. And if you don't, then you own a corporation apparently.

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:44 am    Post subject: Re: Net Neutrality Reply with quote

I do not claim to understand the topic in depth, but I do wonder about a few things.

As I understand it, the "internet" or at least the infrastructure and service providers, were developed and installed by private industry. Shouldn't the folks that invested the resources into things, be allowed to sell them how they see fit?

Will Net Neutrality stifle innovation in the industry, since the theory is by making it all even, there is no incentive to develop a better (more expensive?) product?

Is this a bit like regulating and deregulating the airline industry?

Does everyone have a "right" to the same internet access as everyone else, with no regard to cost or economic status?

Honestly, I want to hear from you folks, since I want to have a better understanding of it. These are just a few points I have heard discussed, or popped into my thoughts while doing unrelated things.
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:45 am    Post subject: Re: Net Neutrality Reply with quote

Brian wrote:
Sorry if you find what I say off track, but:
Federal law states that marijuana is an illegal substance.
CA says that it's cool to blaze up (under state regulations)

So if states say that the whole pay to play thing is bullsh*rt, then should we side against the federal law thing?

The net neutrality repeal is bullshit either way, honestly we can all agree. And if you don't, then you own a corporation apparently.

I agree about the fed vs state rules.

I don't own a corporation, don't work for one, don't care about them either way. But I can't say for sure that the repeal of Net Neutrality is bullshit. As usual, it seems the answer isn't black or white, but more Mouse Grey.
Gary
Person of Interest

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:46 am    Post subject: Re: Net Neutrality Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:
I do not claim to understand the topic in depth, but I do wonder about a few things.

As I understand it, the "internet" or at least the infrastructure and service providers, were developed and installed by private industry. Shouldn't the folks that invested the resources into things, be allowed to sell them how they see fit?

Will Net Neutrality stifle innovation in the industry, since the theory is by making it all even, there is no incentive to develop a better (more expensive?) product?

Is this a bit like regulating and deregulating the airline industry?

Does everyone have a "right" to the same internet access as everyone else, with no regard to cost or economic status?

Honestly, I want to hear from you folks, since I want to have a better understanding of it. These are just a few points I have heard discussed, or popped into my thoughts while doing unrelated things.

No. The Internet was developed by the US Military: ARPANET.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: