Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Wondering if the is worth the money
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
rr8325
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 2:17 pm    Post subject: Wondering if the is worth the money Reply with quote

Found an ad for this short block. Wondering if its worth the chance. The block Number is AE232037. Asking 600.00.

VW motor, was built for a dune buggy and then removed because it had too much power for a teenager. Very low miles. Selling as is. It was running good and strong when removed with no problems. It has been in dry storage for over 25 years. Piston, head and jugs removed for inspection. Oil still in crank and turns over smoothly. Only the parts in pictures are available. It has been too long ago to remember exactly what was done to this motor, but I know there was a special cam, high performance dual port heads and lifters with over sized pistons installed. Complete short block with some extras. I would just clean everything out real good, reassemble and ready to run.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 2:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Wondering if the is worth the money Reply with quote

Not enough info to price it. What kind of heads? Brand, size, model? Has the case been cut? What about the crank? W/out solid documentation, I wouldn't pay more than $100 to gamble on it.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TinCanFab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 2:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Wondering if the is worth the money Reply with quote

Very low miles. Too much power for a kid, so it was taken apart? Complete BS. If an engine is low miles and runs SO good that it's too much power for some kid, it would not be taken apart. When I see used VW engines, I never believe any story behind it. Rebuilt, 1000 hp, 2332cc, etc, means absolutely nothing to me. Parts value only.

They're never really ever finished 58 rag build...
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=658092
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 4:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Wondering if the is worth the money Reply with quote

I'd say definitely NOT worth $600. I also do not believe "the story".
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 4:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Wondering if the is worth the money Reply with quote

Is it worth 600 clams for a case, crank, and rods? Cuz that's about all you'll get out of it...maybe.

Keep shopping.
runamoc Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 5:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Wondering if the is worth the money Reply with quote

Piston looks to have a lot of blowby. Where is the other piston on that side?
VW Wiring = It's just wires
rr8325
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 5:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Wondering if the is worth the money Reply with quote

Thanks to all, maybe if still for sale in a week, I'll offer 100.00.
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 10:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Wondering if the is worth the money Reply with quote

I dont buy the story, dry storage, with rusty fasteners. Who pulls apart a good running moter that has too much power to inspect, and then only pulls apart half?
Its a core unless you hear it run is my rule of thumb, price accordianly.

But.... Hey maybe your lucky with this find, if the story is all true you can throw it together as is and the motor will run with so much power you wont want to let a teenager use it, heck you might be really on a lucky streak and find it may be so powerful you'll need to tear it apart for inspection. This could be a real winner at the races. Its even painted "racing red".

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
runamoc Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 12:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Wondering if the is worth the money Reply with quote

Quote:
then only pulls apart half?

They stopped when they found out what was making that noise. Wink
VW Wiring = It's just wires
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 1:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Wondering if the is worth the money Reply with quote

runamoc wrote:
Quote:
then only pulls apart half?

They stopped when they found out what was making that noise. Wink

It is quiet now, they must have fixed it. Rolling Eyes

Rolling Eyes

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 2:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Wondering if the is worth the money Reply with quote

Sucked #3 exh. valve, went through the piston, insides are beat to death. It was run hard, blew up, and now its a good boat anchor. Ask $25 to haul it away.
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 4:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Wondering if the is worth the money Reply with quote

A very very negative group here Very Happy
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 4:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Wondering if the is worth the money Reply with quote

Starbucket wrote:
Sucked #3 exh. valve, went through the piston, insides are beat to death. It was run hard, blew up, and now its a good boat anchor. Ask $25 to haul it away.

Not to mention sand. Lots of sand pours out of happy dune buggy engines. The seller is on crack unless the buyer lives on an island once used on "Survivor"

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 5:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Wondering if the is worth the money Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:

I hadn't replied as I thought it had been covered so...

I'm positive it's not worth $600 Very Happy
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 6:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Wondering if the is worth the money Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
Zundfolge1432 wrote:

I hadn't replied as I thought it had been covered so...

I'm positive it's not worth $600 Very Happy

I've paid up on parts upon promises, and received exactly as promised. I've paid up, and gotten screwed. I've given nothing assuming the seller was full of shit, and got nothing. Then I've given nothing purchasing something from an honest seller with them knowing nothing about the item, and was pleasantly surprised striking gold. If you had to buy everything, you would have more than $600. The issue is will EVERYTHING be useable? $600 is a price for a long block you test drove in a vehicle as a complete engine, then was stripped to a long block for sale. I personally would maybe go $200-$250, but be prepared to loose it all if nothing is salvageable. Definitely something I would NOT simply try and put p&c's/heads on, and run as is.
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 6:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Wondering if the is worth the money Reply with quote

Not worth it. Maybe a 100 dollar bill at the very most. The case may be trashed you just do not know.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 6:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Wondering if the is worth the money Reply with quote

This group is not negative - just that we ALL have been through this kind of crap. The story is total bullshit....If you want to dick with it, push and pull on the crank pulley. If it doesnt move, then the bottom end may be ok. Throw a set of pistons and cylinders ( about $150) on it. Get a matching head or get a pair of heads ($200 and up) and throw it together and see what you have. If you dont worry about possibly wasting $100, then offer that. If you are more comfortable with burning $20, then offer that. Total pig in a poke.
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 8:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Wondering if the is worth the money Reply with quote

Imagine my surprise when looking at Craigslist automotive section parts VW and the same ad popped up around Atlanta Ga. My attempt at humor was lost again geez what a rough crowd, maybe even negative Very Happy it would be worth 600 if ??????? Case was Std with Std thrust and no other surprises, Std or 10/10 crank in perfect condition. If story is true and everything measured std. Bearings too. So it would be a total tear down and inspection but you probably want a plug and play motor. Buying used and already assembled is a leap of faith, who can you trust?
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 5:29 am    Post subject: Re: Wondering if the is worth the money Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
Imagine my surprise when looking at Craigslist automotive section parts VW and the same ad popped up around Atlanta Ga. My attempt at humor was lost again geez what a rough crowd, maybe even negative Very Happy

Naah - but the OP may not get it - so made sure they understood this wasnt a bunch of crabby old farts that hate everything.......Hmmmmm.......or is it? Laughing
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: