Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Sticking throttle 28 pict carb
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Java beetle 65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 5:52 am    Post subject: Sticking throttle 28 pict carb Reply with quote

Hi there

I have noticed a problem on my carb in that it idles way too high, the cam doesn't even return fully so adjusting the screw has no effect. If I push the cam in I can get the rpm down but not that much. Impossible to get it to stall. Would this be a worn out spring somewhere, or sticking butterfly valve or a bent cable? There is a 3/4" thick carb spacer to avoid it hitting the generator. Car is RHD so not sure it's an issue at the pedals.

Also... what is the correct method for adjusting volume screw? Seen various different ways. Don't have a tachometer to do it 100% with RPM so just need a foolproof method (like screw out 2 and a half turns from fully in)

At the moment the car idles way too high and blows a lot of black smoke (running rich I presume). Choke is adjusted ok, just slightly open when starting from cold.

Ps carb was rebuilt 2 years ago so isn't worn...

Thanks!
runamoc Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:51 am    Post subject: Re: Sticking throttle 28 pict carb Reply with quote

Every year driving on the beach the linkage on the carb would become 'stiff', after about 5 days. I just sprayed it with some spray lube and everything was back to smooth. Cool
VW Wiring = It's just wires
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:04 am    Post subject: Re: Sticking throttle 28 pict carb Reply with quote

The "cam" that makes the idle higher when the choke is on needs to be oiled at its rotation points every once in a while.
Try that first if it's sticking.
If the cam is open it's running rich and that could be the black smoke.

On the volume screw, turn it all the way in, then turn it out 1.5 turns to get a starting point. Don't crank it in, just do it until it touches.
Adjust from there.

The car should stall if it's turned in all the way, otherwise the idle circuit is plugged or you have a vacuum leak, usually at the carb. bushing from wear.

One example from the 1961 owner's manual
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Java beetle 65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 4:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Sticking throttle 28 pict carb Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice.

The cam which the throttle arm rests on when the choke is activated rotates freely. It's the rotation point at the base of the carb which seems to be the issue. Sample image below:

Might pull of the carb and see if the butterfly valve is sticking...

I was hoping it might be a simple problem but maybe not!
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 4:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Sticking throttle 28 pict carb Reply with quote

Question: if you disconnect the accelerator cable, does the arm move freely or does it still hang up??
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Java beetle 65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Sticking throttle 28 pict carb Reply with quote

When the accelerator cable is disconnected it goes all the way back. Must be something wrong with the cable? I wonder if the carb spacer has anything to do with it?

Java beetle 65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Sticking throttle 28 pict carb Reply with quote

Tried taking the spring off and pulling the cable reasonably tight. The cable is about 4mm too short to engage with the barrel but. Wonder if it's the carb spacer that is causing this problem?
Java beetle 65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Sticking throttle 28 pict carb Reply with quote

With the carb spacer off the cable is long enough.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 10:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Sticking throttle 28 pict carb Reply with quote

Why do you have a spacer and can you remove it?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Java beetle 65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 10:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Sticking throttle 28 pict carb Reply with quote

Accelerator pump clashes with 12v generator.
Java beetle 65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 12:52 am    Post subject: Re: Sticking throttle 28 pict carb Reply with quote

Think I found the problem

When tightening the throttle cable bolt, the cable would twist sideways making the cable effectively shorter. Managed to hold the bolt in place and this didn't happen as much.

What is the correct setup, is a retaining washer missing?? Mine has loads of free play sideways and can be popped out if pushing on the right side.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 5:43 am    Post subject: Re: Sticking throttle 28 pict carb Reply with quote

Personally, I think that the early VW return set ups are a pain the the butt !!! Apparently, VW thought similar and later re-engineered to be like this (photo from gallery)

And can you get a shorter spacer?

If you look carefully at this photo of my ugly but nice running 30-year-old 1835cc engine with a Weber carb below, you can see where I rigged up my own throttle return spring, maybe you want to consider similar since your carb doesn't have the same hardware as the later VW pictured above.

1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 5:51 am    Post subject: Re: Sticking throttle 28 pict carb Reply with quote

Well that re-design of the cable return spring was in tandem with the redesign of the cable and accelerator pedal linkage!

Personally, I've really not had much trouble over the years with the stock cable-mounted return spring, correctly used with the stock style solid-wire throttle cable. But I have had more than one issue with that horrible "Z-bar" pedal linkage... I'm surprised that VW stuck with that not-very-good design for as long as they did (1958 to mid 1966)

IMAGE NOTE: It has been noted that Chrome based browsers may have issues in displaying my vast image library, which use non-secure links and are on an FTP server. Images should still be viewable if the link is clicked though.
I do not know how to fix this. All I can say is it all works fine for me with what I use, Firefox.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 6:11 am    Post subject: Re: Sticking throttle 28 pict carb Reply with quote

And remember - the poster is in Australia - so likely has his pedals on the "wrong" side !!!
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 6:15 am    Post subject: Re: Sticking throttle 28 pict carb Reply with quote

Oh yeah, good reminder, the normal rules kind of go out the window when dealing with them down-under beetles.

IMAGE NOTE: It has been noted that Chrome based browsers may have issues in displaying my vast image library, which use non-secure links and are on an FTP server. Images should still be viewable if the link is clicked though.
I do not know how to fix this. All I can say is it all works fine for me with what I use, Firefox.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 9:39 am    Post subject: Re: Sticking throttle 28 pict carb Reply with quote

Java beetle 65 wrote:
What is the correct setup, is a retaining washer missing?? Mine has loads of free play sideways and can be popped out if pushing on the right side.

It does move side to side but my memory is that you can't pop it out when the cable is in there because the cable hits the other side of the linkage first.
Unless something is worn enough for it to pop out?
vwoldbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 2:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Sticking throttle 28 pict carb Reply with quote

I think the tube in fan shroud is supposed to be push down flush . We put a hose clamp on the front side of fan shroud to secure it .
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 2:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Sticking throttle 28 pict carb Reply with quote

the tube stays put (thus, no need for any clamps) if you have this style of throttle return spring:

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: