Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Intermittent start issue - good starter, solenoid & battery
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
62 Dave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 4:11 pm    Post subject: Intermittent start issue - good starter, solenoid & battery Reply with quote

I'm experiencing an intermittent starting issue, where when I turn the key, sometimes (most of the time now actually) I hear the solenoid clicking, but the starter doesn't engage.

The starter is new, and checks out good w/ a screwdriver across the solenoid terminals, as does the solenoid. I took the battery to my FLAPS today and it checks out good.

I had the same issue w/ my old starter, which recently gave up the ghost. The new one worked fine for a couple of starts, but the issue has come back. I did not replace the bushing, as it looks ok and from reading other threads here it sounds like a worn bushing causes slow cranking? Is that true?

I've tried pushing the car backwards in 3rd gear thinking the starter may be hung up on the ring gear. Doesn't seem to consistently help - every once in a while I'll get a start, but it does that on it's own with enough turns of the key.

Car is a 6 volt, all stock, with the Euro locking steering column ignition.

Any ideas/suggestions?

62 Type 1 sunroof
64 Ghia hardtop

69 Type 1, 68 Type 1, 73 914 2.0, 76 911S Targa....all gone but not forgotten Smile
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 4:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Intermittent start issue - good starter, solenoid & battery Reply with quote

62 Dave wrote:
I'm experiencing an intermittent starting issue, where when I turn the key, sometimes (most of the time now actually) I hear the solenoid clicking, but the starter doesn't engage.

The starter is new, and checks out good w/ a screwdriver across the solenoid terminals, as does the solenoid. I took the battery to my FLAPS today and it checks out good.

I had the same issue w/ my old starter, which recently gave up the ghost. The new one worked fine for a couple of starts, but the issue has come back. I did not replace the bushing, as it looks ok and from reading other threads here it sounds like a worn bushing causes slow cranking? Is that true?

I've tried pushing the car backwards in 3rd gear thinking the starter may be hung up on the ring gear. Doesn't seem to consistently help - every once in a while I'll get a start, but it does that on it's own with enough turns of the key.

Any ideas/suggestions?

starter soliniod may click but the contacts you hear clicking may be dirty and thus preventing good current flow, you may also want to check you ground strap body to tranny and battery to body. high resistance in the ground straps can allow the low current solinoid to click, but prevent enough juice to flow to the starter.

put a voltmeter lead across the starter motor cable where it enters the starter from the soliniod and place other voltmenter lead (negative) on starter body, then try to crank motor, see if you get a full 6 volts there or not, if not, work back, checking for voltage drop across each point, the two ground straps, and across the solinoid. take reading while trying to crank.

my first guess seeing as you can repeatably start by shorting across the solinoid is that the solinoid has an intermittant failure, but then again dont discount bad grouns or othe connections. also make sure your getting a good full 6 volts to the solinoid, the key switch might have too much resistance, in which case one fix would be to add a relay for the solinoid. if your solinoid is clicking, but the voltage from the key switch is reduced, you may hear itclick, but it not a good firm conntact to test this put a voltmeter across the solinoid terminal from the key switch (skinny wire) and measure voltage when attmepting to crank, if it is low voltage, the the key switch or associated wires have a problem. adding a relay is a common fix, and can work very well if that is indeed the problem

if you open up the solinoid to lube and clean, besure to reseal the opening seam with some caulking (some thing like "form a gasket") you want the solinoid to be water tight from road spray.

good luck

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 4:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Intermittent start issue - good starter, solenoid & battery Reply with quote

62 Dave wrote:

I'd think about the contacts inside your ignition switch. Those were NLA for a long time but recently someone posted they are available again.
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 5:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Intermittent start issue - good starter, solenoid & battery Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
62 Dave wrote:

I'd think about the contacts inside your ignition switch. Those were NLA for a long time but recently someone posted they are available again.

adding a relay can allow worn key switches to work if they are not completely shot, and a relay can greatly extend the life of any key switch. so even if the problem is something else, once that other thing is repaired, the addition of a starter relay is a good idea.

what you need to do to find the problematic componnents is check voltages or voltage drops across every componnent, including wires and ground straps. that will most certainly find the offending componnents you may have more than one marginal componnent, a volt drop on the ground strap, another colt dropped across the key switch, a rusty or dry of lube solinoid plunger that draws too much current, dirty solinoid contacts etc..., all can add up. so even if you find one problem componnet, continue checking, there is possibly a series of voltage drops causing problems when it all adds up, once fixed, add the relay to protect the key switch and provide more juice to the solinoid than even a new Bug provided.

good luck

ps if you have no idea how to do the voltage drop tests, reread my first post, if still need more info ask, we will try to help

now get that voltmeter out and find the bad

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 7:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Intermittent start issue - good starter, solenoid & battery Reply with quote

Like mentioned the connections should nice and bright and shiny for the best possible connection in the 6 V system. Another thing to try is wiring the ignition switch externally for testing purposes. A push on switch and a toggle switch can be wired in easily. Its all about clean connections.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
type1abody
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 7:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Intermittent start issue - good starter, solenoid & battery Reply with quote

Had basically the same issues, put up with the random click/no start, was getting worse. Got out my dremel and a new wire wheel. Cleaned everything, wires, fuseblock, terminals , etc. Has started everytime since then. 65, 6v
62 Dave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:19 am    Post subject: Re: Intermittent start issue - good starter, solenoid & battery Reply with quote

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I'll get out the voltmeter and the dremel and getting checking/cleaning. I'll keep you posted on what I find.

62 Type 1 sunroof
64 Ghia hardtop

69 Type 1, 68 Type 1, 73 914 2.0, 76 911S Targa....all gone but not forgotten Smile
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:32 am    Post subject: Re: Intermittent start issue - good starter, solenoid & battery Reply with quote

Not sure I have any good suggestions, but curious as to what plays out with yours. I chased a starting gremlin for over 1.5 years. Did all the things above as well as soldering fuse panel, disassembling and cleaning up solenoid. Chased any drops and had over 6 volts at the starter and still wouldn't crank at times. Ended up changing out the starter about two weeks ago and haven't seen any more issues yet. Out of curiosity, did you get a rebuilt Bosch unit or a replacement? Ive seen a couple of threads with people complaining about being 2-3 starters in on a fix.
“...some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.” - Michael Caine
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 6:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Intermittent start issue - good starter, solenoid & battery Reply with quote

I have worn out several little dremel wire wheels. Be sure to disconnect the battery first!!

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
61SNRF
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 6:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Intermittent start issue - good starter, solenoid & battery Reply with quote

https://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=111998611

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.
62 Dave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 1:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Intermittent start issue - good starter, solenoid & battery Reply with quote

Following up as to the fix to my issue - I was getting lower voltage at the starter, so I dremel cleaned the connectors, starting with those behind the dash, and worked back to the starter and ground straps, and she's starting like a champ every time now - yeah baby Smile.

So thanks for the help gang.

And to answer the question about the starter, yes, mine is a Bosch rebuilt unit.

62 Type 1 sunroof
64 Ghia hardtop

type1abody
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 5:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Intermittent start issue - good starter, solenoid & battery Reply with quote

Great news.! I forgot to mention that a week prior to taking a dremel to mine I did it to a buddies car that had the same issue.
rockerarm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 5:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Intermittent start issue - good starter, solenoid & battery Reply with quote

Hi. I've been a proponent of voltage drop/loss testing since I learned how valuable the theory is. For the folks that don't believe me this is the gold standard today in auto electric diagnostics.
Approx 90% of this video applies to VW and it is interesting it includes a starter relay, which any purists fail to recognize its merits.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WMXENKujYtc
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: