Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

identification request
Forum Index -> Porsche - 356 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
gziemer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:06 am    Post subject: identification request Reply with quote

We recently bought a remote property and found this car. There are no apparent vin tags- can anyone help us identify the model and year? It appears to be a cabriolet with the winshied frame cut off- thanks for your help
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

dsrtfox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 11:07 am    Post subject: Re: identification request Reply with quote

It's a Pre A and being a Pre A somebody will pay big bucks for it and fix it. I don't know Pre A's but somebody will be able to tell you the year. It looks to be VW powered with that goofy fan shroud that nobody uses any more...
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 2:39 pm    Post subject: Re: identification request Reply with quote

My guess `54-55 worth min. of 5K as it sits and they will haul it out of the swamp and away.
roy mawbey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 6:16 am    Post subject: Re: identification request Reply with quote

Open the front lid, there might be a rubber mat just forward of the petrol /gas tank. Lift that mat up and stamped in the metal a short distance from the battery box area a chassis number might be there.
I guess you opened the drivers door and looked on the hinge plate for the identification plate.

Roy
water guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:43 pm    Post subject: Re: identification request Reply with quote

The wheels alone are worth 5k....
PD41
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 6:33 pm    Post subject: Re: identification request Reply with quote

water guy wrote:

That is funny. I bought 5 @ 16" wheels for my 53. The most I paid was $100 per wheel. Many of the guys that are asking outrageous prices for 356 parts sit on them for years and are out on a fishing expedition.

I saw a decent 356 A original front bumper last month for $800 while some guys are asking up to $2000. Bought a rebuilt 1958 long block with zero miles a couple months ago for $1800.

Fair market value prices are out there if you shop around.
water guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 5:38 pm    Post subject: Re: identification request Reply with quote

I'd love to find 16" wheels for $100....or even $200....or $300
vwjetboat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 5:42 pm    Post subject: Re: identification request Reply with quote

might want to call law enforcement and find out if its stolen.. kinda odd for it to be where it is ..
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:09 pm    Post subject: Re: identification request Reply with quote

PD41 wrote:
water guy wrote:

That is funny. I bought 5 @ 16" wheels for my 53. The most I paid was $100 per wheel. Many of the guys that are asking outrageous prices for 356 parts sit on them for years and are out on a fishing expedition.

I saw a decent 356 A original front bumper last month for $800 while some guys are asking up to $2000. Bought a rebuilt 1958 long block with zero miles a couple months ago for $1800.

Fair market value prices are out there if you shop around.

I don't know about $5K but the prices you listed, with the exception of the bumper since I am not familiar with that, are insanely cheap.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:10 pm    Post subject: Re: identification request Reply with quote

vwjetboat wrote:
might want to call law enforcement and find out if its stolen.. kinda odd for it to be where it is ..

There is a guy on the site near Eureka and he's found tons of VWs "abandoned" like that in super N. CA. To the point where it's almost crazy.

I wouldn't be surprised to find out there are numerous Porsches up there too.
The condition and forestry pictured looks similar to many Buses he pulled out.

Always worth making sure it's legal though.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwjetboat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 7:20 pm    Post subject: Re: identification request Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
vwjetboat wrote:

There is a guy on the site near Eureka and he's found tons of VWs "abandoned" like that in super N. CA. To the point where it's almost crazy.

I wouldn't be surprised to find out there are numerous Porsches up there too.
The condition and forestry pictured looks similar to many Buses he pulled out.

Always worth making sure it's legal though.

Yep.. had a friend buy a 65 stang.. when the new fenders covered the vin when it went to get repaired.. the org vin stamped in did not match the riveted ones he was out about 7k sold it for parts for 2k
PD41
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 5:03 pm    Post subject: Re: identification request Reply with quote

water guy wrote:
I'd love to find 16" wheels for $100....or even $200....or $300

Went to the So Cal Pomona swap meet a few years ago.
Not many 356 parts guys any more show up.

Saw a guy unloading a pickup truck full of VW parts, then noticed 2 Pre A
356 wheels that had modern emergency spares on them. He said they were on the front of a sand rail buggy.

Paid $40 for 2 Pre A 16" wheels.

It does require time to search, but deals do pop up.
Most guys online do not post deals. You have to do it
the old school way. Looking, asking, knock on doors.
James Davies
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:42 am    Post subject: Re: identification request Reply with quote

That car is a '55 coupe that's had the top chopped off. Someone should check the serial number under the hood (center). Should be 5xxxx.
roy mawbey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 5:33 am    Post subject: Re: identification request Reply with quote

Yep correct check under the front hood for the large stamped number. the 55 coupe cars had the chassis numbers from 52532 to 54223 The number you advised on the Reutter badge on the l/h hinge plate falls into that number spread.

Roy
Wolfgangdieter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 6:26 am    Post subject: Re: identification request Reply with quote

So post up some new photos of it out of the woods. There are some willing to restore such a car - Would be great car art just as it stands.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Porsche - 356 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: