Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Riv-Nut displeasure (SOLVED)
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
VWinVT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 1:01 pm    Post subject: Riv-Nut displeasure (SOLVED) Reply with quote

I am installing the GW pop top struts. We chose these because of the locking feature, 2 small children sleep up top and it has always been in the back of my mind them pulling the bars and....

Anyway, I have one strut in place and I do not like the riv-nuts at all. They do not create a positive hold. The rear bracket wiggles a bit and I don't see how, even with silicone, water is not going to get in there due to its un snug fit.

Have others noticed this with the riv-nuts or did I install them improperly?

Small wheel turns by the firing rod,
Big wheel turns by the grace of God.
Every time that wheel turns 'round,
You're bound to cover just a little more ground.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 1:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Riv-Nut displeasure Reply with quote

I have never had issues with them. the real trick is to make sure the hole is just big enough to put them in. I usually don't clean the flashing away when drilling the hole. also I make them snug enough to have to slightly tap them in with the butt of a screwdriver.

some cheap ones do not have the teeth knurled into the head. avoid those

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
Bassyaks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 2:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Riv-Nut displeasure Reply with quote

I use them daily in my business, never a product problem, however there can be an installer created problem. Never drill a the hole larger then what they recommend as others have said, try reinstalling by collapsing it again, it will crush. You didn't collapse it enough.
termuehlen Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 2:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Riv-Nut displeasure Reply with quote

Maybe it is too late, but if you buy pop top assists from Jack Bombay you don't need any riv-nuts.

https://poptopshocks.blogspot.com/
VWinVT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 2:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Riv-Nut displeasure Reply with quote

Operator error...i did not tighten it enough.

VWinVT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 4:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Riv-Nut displeasure Reply with quote

termuehlen wrote:
Maybe it is too late, but if you buy pop top assists from Jack Bombay you don't need any riv-nuts.

https://poptopshocks.blogspot.com/

unsure of the intent of this comment; as it is clear that GW struts had not only been purchased, but were in the process of being installed. Eh?

termuehlen Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Riv-Nut displeasure (SOLVED) Reply with quote

I am glad you got your problem resolved. I was merely trying to let you know that if you were in a situation that was not easily solved, there was another option available.
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 7:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Riv-Nut displeasure (SOLVED) Reply with quote

So what would cause my riv-nut to be uneven once crushed? Like the trim around it is not flush with the body panel.

Also GoWesty sent me my tool with like 5 serrated washers on it, plus a rubber at the bottom.
Squidfish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 8:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Riv-Nut displeasure (SOLVED) Reply with quote

That is their "riv-nut" tool and each washer is to discarded once used for each riv-nut install. There are instructions on their web site and should be some in your packaging too.

As to being off-center/un-even, try re-tightening via the riv-nut tool instructions, it could be loose. The hole should barely have fit the riv nut insert.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 9:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Riv-Nut displeasure (SOLVED) Reply with quote

I just removed our GW struts and definitely have concerns about water getting in there. Think I'll seal them with button-head Allens and silicone.

The Bombay design was the original lift solution, is far less intrusive, and thus superior. Plus the struts don't leak oil and stain the tent like both my GW sets have.

— Colin Chapman
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 3:32 am    Post subject: Re: Riv-Nut displeasure (SOLVED) Reply with quote

gonewesty4good wrote:
That is their "riv-nut" tool and each washer is to discarded once used for each riv-nut install. There are instructions on their web site and should be some in your packaging too.

As to being off-center/un-even, try re-tightening via the riv-nut tool instructions, it could be loose. The hole should barely have fit the riv nut insert.

Ah okay - I reused the washer each time. However they looked good after I tightened them a bit. Thank you!

E1 wrote:
I just removed our GW struts and definitely have concerns about water getting in there. Think I'll seal them with button-head Allens and silicone.

The Bombay design was the original lift solution, is far less intrusive, and thus superior. Plus the struts don't leak oil and stain the tent like both my GW sets have.

Well, to say the Bombay are superior is somewhat a stretch. The GW are superior in more assistance given their mid lifting point - as opposed to the rear. I just installed the GW set and they advised me to remove the lock/dust shield.

But the Bombay design is superior in installation. Not having to make holes in your body is nice.

So it just depends on what you value more. I'm going to be having 3 bars, 200w of full frame solar, and maybe even a cargo box up there.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: