Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

GPS locator to find a stolen Vanagon
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 32, 33, 34  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 5:15 pm    Post subject: Re: GPS locator to find a stolen Vanagon Reply with quote

I've yet to read a recent post where a Vanagon went to a "chop shop" for disassembly.
Most were joy rides, hot item transport or possible drug runs.
One went to Mexico and was sold.

In my recent travels across the Northern USA going coast to coast I've largely stayed off of the interstates when feasible. I found that there are indeed vast areas that lack cellular service. For example, In central Montana it was 10-15 miles between mail boxes, no power lines, no telephone lines.....
But nearly every little one horse town that I entered had cellular service.

If your Van is stolen AND driven, at some point there will be cellular service.

Study the options, determine your level of security comfort, determine your acceptable budget and proceed accordingly.

I'm in the North East, an area without cellular service is rare and when found, it only requires a short time of travel through the dead spot.

I'm comfortable with Cellular.

Bottom line, to do something, anything, is FAR wiser than doing nothing because "it won't happen to me!"

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 7:22 pm    Post subject: Re: GPS locator to find a stolen Vanagon Reply with quote

So the trackers that need cell service send a text message with the coordinates. That means a 1x signal for a for seconds. If someone stole your bus and went anywhere near any town they are nailed.... btw those trackers can set geofences so if someone drives it more than 50 feet you get a text if you set it that way. I agree that SPOT is better cause it does
not rely on cell coverage but for me I am fine with a cell SIM based system. I won't knock SPOT, just get any GPS tracker and feel better about your chances.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
Jon_slider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:32 pm    Post subject: Re: GPS locator to find a stolen Vanagon Reply with quote

Not sure I understand the differences between Cell and SPOT features, and costs.

Is this right?:

It costs $50 for SPOT hardware plus $15 a month to display Current Location, Direction of Travel, Location History, and Speed, on a Map.

Cellular sends a text of Current Location, No Direction of Travel, No Location History, No Speed?

Any other Feature differences?

djkeev wrote:
I'm comfortable with Cellular.

How much money are you saving?

If you lived, camped, or parked in areas with NoCell, would you change your choice.

dobryan wrote:
If someone stole your bus and went anywhere near any town they are nailed

not sure I understand, if they drive across country, through a town with reception, and then go back to areas with NoCell, does the CellSIM solution report No Location, Last Known Location, Direction of travel, Speed?

How much do you save per month?

Do you live, camp, or park in areas with NoCell?
Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:43 pm    Post subject: Re: GPS locator to find a stolen Vanagon Reply with quote

Jon_slider wrote:

It costs $50 for SPOT hardware plus $15 a month to display Current Location, Direction of Travel, Location History, and Speed, on a Map.

You pretty much convinced me to go with spot…

Now who's got the $50 discounts?

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Aryana
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:47 pm    Post subject: Re: GPS locator to find a stolen Vanagon Reply with quote

Yeah, but for them to move the van with SPOT Trace activated it will leave some bread crumbs at some point. That can be very helpful leading right up to wherever it lost the satellite coverage.
Jon_slider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:55 pm    Post subject: Re: GPS locator to find a stolen Vanagon Reply with quote

Paulbeard wrote:

click the link in your previous post or:

click here for more places that have the same deal
http://bfy.tw/CzmG
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:56 pm    Post subject: Re: GPS locator to find a stolen Vanagon Reply with quote

You'll need to read the details on the SIM based trackers. They have varied capabilities. SPOT is a good alternative if you are OK with that platform. Not one size fits all. 😀

For me I do not need a bread crumb trail. I want to know where my bus is, not where it was.

The Western Syncro build
davevickery
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:38 pm    Post subject: Re: GPS locator to find a stolen Vanagon Reply with quote

Paulbeard wrote:
Jon_slider wrote:

It looks like they are just doing mail in rebates for half off like they did when I got mine last year. Good through purchases/activations until September. I don't like mail in rebates but I did get the check a couple months later.

So it is 100-120 for the Spot Trace and you get half back later. REI sells them. I bought mine through sportsmans warehouse. Nobody seems to stock them but you can pick it up in a few days at the store and activate it the day you get it.

The service plan discount appears to only be on service upgrades, not the regular $150 service plan. Plus there is a $15 network fee. I didn't read the fine print, maybe they waive the network fee the first year, but I think it is just another way of raising prices and still say it cost $149/year. My renewal was for $165. They offered me a $50 credit when I complained.

So it will cost you $265 up front and you will get back $50 later. The power cord is another $30. That is why I was looking at cheaper alternatives.
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 5:54 am    Post subject: Re: GPS locator to find a stolen Vanagon Reply with quote

davevickery wrote:

So it is 100-120 for the Spot Trace and you get half back later. REI sells them. I bought mine through sportsmans warehouse. Nobody seems to stock them but you can pick it up in a few days at the store and activate it the day you get it.

I ordered mine from Amazon while on the road in AZ. They delivered it same day to a locker where I picked it up (they've got a DC near Phoenix). Amazon is remarkable.

As for the Spot Trace, I find the confidence inspired by the always on tracking plus the stupid-simple ease of use to be a decent value (even though I usually avoid products that require monthly/annual fees).

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
HoustonPhotog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 6:04 am    Post subject: Re: GPS locator to find a stolen Vanagon Reply with quote

I posted a Spot Trace Review a couple of years ago... Still love it.

http://texasvanagons.com/spot-trace-gps-tracker/

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

kourt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:49 am    Post subject: Re: GPS locator to find a stolen Vanagon Reply with quote

My review (found earlier in this thread) of one of the TK/Coban series (cellular service) trackers is still relevant:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6946473#6946473

When a phone call is placed to the tracker, a text message is returned to the caller (only two pre-authorized caller numbers are allowed) showing GPS coordinates, speed, a link to a map showing the van's location, the tracker power status, the door switch status, and the ignition power status.

Additional text message combinations sent to the tracker can return its working voltage, cell signal strength, and other diagnostics. I can configure GPS fences, speed limit warnings, or other features via SMS in the field.

I am still using this tracker 3 1/2 years after installation. I have Ting GSM (T-Mobile) cell service. It works very well in most locations. As others have said, driving the van into almost any city would bring the cellular service back into play and would make the van trackable. It has fit my needs for most of the theft risks I have faced. You simply need to keep your cell phone with you in case you are faced with the challenge of recovering a stolen van (I mention this because I just did a bit of mountaineering and every ounce of weight matters on a 50 mile hike; I almost left my cell phone behind at the trailhead, but realized I would need it to recover the van if it was stolen).

I am employing all the other methods--killswitches, careful parking site selection, inconspicuity, not driving a flashy vehicle--and the sum of those behaviors seem to work well for me thus far.

kourt
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
davevickery
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 10:39 am    Post subject: Re: GPS locator to find a stolen Vanagon Reply with quote

I would also like a visible deterrent to keep the initial damage from happening. Maybe just window stickers that say "Warning: Alarm System" without given them details what to look for.

Maybe someone can get a batch printed up for us. I'll buy a set. (The ones on ebay all seem badly worded. Telling crooks you have a hidden GPS tracker in your car seems stupid to me).
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 10:55 am    Post subject: Re: GPS locator to find a stolen Vanagon Reply with quote

davevickery wrote:
I would also like a visible deterrent to keep the initial damage from happening. Maybe just window stickers that say "Warning: Alarm System" without given them details what to look for.

Maybe someone can get a batch printed up for us. I'll buy a set. (The ones on ebay all seem badly worded. Telling crooks you have a hidden GPS tracker in your car seems stupid to me).

I have the parts to add a small red flashing LED to my dash. Haven't got a round tuit yet......

The Western Syncro build
B.O.B.Wanders
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:14 pm    Post subject: Re: GPS locator to find a stolen Vanagon Reply with quote

We got the Spot trace earlier this month at Bass Pro Shops (in stock). I thought it would be good insurance both for the van being stolen and for peace of mind when we are on the road. I like it so far.

Still looking for that perfect spot to hide it since it does need to "see" the sky. I just stuck it up on the upper bunk for the trial run and it worked great. They make you give it a device name when you activate so we named it "Chip" since it is sort of like micro-chipping your pet (or apparently your employees soon).

I gave my daughter the web site and she was able to track us on a recent trip through the NC Blue Ridge Mountains (lots of areas with no cell coverage). She has been leery of our somewhat spontaneous travel style since we ended up in Tacoma WA on what started out to be a trip to Slovenia. (You gotta love Space-A travel!)

"It feels good to be lost in the right direction” - unknown
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:48 pm    Post subject: Re: GPS locator to find a stolen Vanagon Reply with quote

davevickery wrote:

I would too. Since I'm putting in a new kill switch, I want immobilizer stickers, which are hard to find. The one I did find is actually a factory Honda sticker. Thus, monsoon weather permitting, I'll be stopping in at my local Honda dealer tomorrow to see if they have (or can get) two of these:

Part #39885-S5A-A11
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 10:59 pm    Post subject: Re: GPS locator to find a stolen Vanagon Reply with quote

B.O.B.Wanders wrote:

Still looking for that perfect spot to hide it since it does need to "see" the sky.

There are so many possibilities. I recently found a hidden key that the PO had left behind in my van. It was accessible but I'll bet an easter egg with a $100 bill left there would have been unfound after an easter egg hunt at a gathering of Vanagon owners.

Experiment and I think you'll discover that it talks to satellites surprisingly well.

This is an opportunity to be clever. Very Happy

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
davevickery
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:34 am    Post subject: Re: GPS locator to find a stolen Vanagon Reply with quote

kamzcab86 wrote:

Part #39885-S5A-A11

Thanks that one works for me. $2.70/ea online
https://www.hondapartsnow.com/genuine/honda~label~immobilizer~39885-s5a-a11.html
Guybrush
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 7:25 am    Post subject: Re: GPS locator to find a stolen Vanagon Reply with quote

B.O.B.Wanders wrote:
We got the Spot trace earlier this month.......Still looking for that perfect spot to hide it since it does need to "see" the sky.

Hmmm, everybody's been talking about how it is easy to hide, first time I see this mentioned. Makes it seem much less interesting all of a sudden.
Aryana
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:07 am    Post subject: Re: GPS locator to find a stolen Vanagon Reply with quote

If you have trouble hiding it, then you have issues! It's super easy. They even give you everything you need to mount it in the box.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:12 am    Post subject: Re: GPS locator to find a stolen Vanagon Reply with quote

To me, it is much more than simply hiding the tracker device, it is wiring the tracker or kill switch in such a way that it looks stock and not added on. Non stock looking wires are easy to spot and disable.

I have my perfect spot picked out and my wiring decided upon. One will be hard pressed to know that I have a tracker wired in and an even more difficult time finding the device.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 32, 33, 34  Next
Jump to:
Page 15 of 34

Jump to: