Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

2.1 WBX: Leak, water pump and coolant crossover pipe SOLVED
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
table
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 10:46 am    Post subject: 2.1 WBX: Leak, water pump and coolant crossover pipe SOLVED Reply with quote

Putting engine back in the van. Got it all together (yay!), coolant in, and.... drip. drip. drip.

The leak is between the water pump and the crossover pipe that goes under the pulley to the right head. (Of course. Super fun spot to work) I pulled the pump and the pump sealing face is clean and flat. As far as I can tell, the sealing face on the crossover pipe flange is good too. I noticed that the allen bolts that hold the crossover pipe flange to the water pump were pretty much bottoming out in the holes in the water pump, so I figured that was my problem and used two bolts that were 5mm shorter for the reassembly.

Still dripping in the same spot.

I used the paper gasket that came with the engine gasket kit. I could put silicone on the gasket or double up on the gasket. Or both. Although it might work, it's not very confidence inspiring to put silicone on...

Suggestions? Ideas?

Thanks all!
T3 Pilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 11:03 am    Post subject: Re: 2.1 WBX: Leak between water pump and coolant crossover pipe Reply with quote

http://gasgacinch.com

Simple and it works.......plus you will always have the 1940's pinup girl on the can to cheer you up.

Pro tip: use a q tip to apply it because the included applicator makes a sloppy mess.

The most important part in every vehicle is the nut behind the wheel......
AtlasShrugged
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 11:13 am    Post subject: Re: 2.1 WBX: Leak between water pump and coolant crossover pipe Reply with quote

Odd that it leaks there..that is not a problem most of the time.

I would not use silicone sealants or double up the gaskets.

I would inspect the flange on the water pump and the steel pipe flange. The flange(s) may have some old gasket material on them or maybe a crack in the steel or water pump..you need to look.

When reassembling them I would use Permatex High Tack gasket sealer #80062.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
table
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 1:01 pm    Post subject: Re: 2.1 WBX: Leak between water pump and coolant crossover pipe Reply with quote

I have taken the pump out again. It looks OK and I have filled it with tap water to see if it leaks. It's OK.

Has anyone ever seen a crossover tube break? I'm thinking at the seam between the flange and the tube itself. I can't see anything, but the tube is captive behind the pulley.

Thanks! Shocked
table
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 1:50 pm    Post subject: Re: 2.1 WBX: Leak between water pump and coolant crossover pipe Reply with quote

...and it's impossible to get the crossover pipe out without removing the pulley, right?
Robw_z
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 3:17 pm    Post subject: Re: 2.1 WBX: Leak between water pump and coolant crossover pipe Reply with quote

You can remove the crossover pipe without removing the pulley. I do remember some cursing during the process. Is the leak clearly at the flange near the water pump? I had a leak on the other side where it goes into the head, it was a bad plastic flange I replaced with a new stainless one.

-Rob
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 3:25 pm    Post subject: Re: 2.1 WBX: Leak between water pump and coolant crossover pipe Reply with quote

Those tubes rust.

Make sure it is the sealing surface leaking and not the actual pipe itself rusted thin.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jberger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 7:27 pm    Post subject: Re: 2.1 WBX: Leak between water pump and coolant crossover pipe Reply with quote

Putting the engine back in...?? What work was done? Oversized oil pump? The cover will hold the crossover pipe off of its mating surface.
atomatom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 8:15 pm    Post subject: Re: 2.1 WBX: Leak between water pump and coolant crossover pipe Reply with quote

perhaps you used the wrong o-ring?

it should look like this: http://www.van-cafe.com/yellow-o-ring-for-coolant-crossover-tube

atomatom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 8:17 pm    Post subject: Re: 2.1 WBX: Leak between water pump and coolant crossover pipe Reply with quote

i also had a similar experience with the bolts bottoming out on a new pump. i added washers instead of shorter bolts. however, i'd be surprised if this is related to your leak.
rubbachicken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:38 pm    Post subject: Re: 2.1 WBX: Leak between water pump and coolant crossover pipe Reply with quote

that depends on the year of the van, the yellow seal is only for 1.9 engines, the upper crossover pipe into the thermostat housing, not the water pump

atomatom wrote:
perhaps you used the wrong o-ring?

it should look like this: http://www.van-cafe.com/yellow-o-ring-for-coolant-crossover-tube

lucy's BIG adventure

meet 'burni'

markswagen {mobile mechanic} san diego area all early VW's cared for.

619 201 0310 or 617 935 4182
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
atomatom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:45 pm    Post subject: Re: 2.1 WBX: Leak between water pump and coolant crossover pipe Reply with quote

yes, i stand corrected
table
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:47 pm    Post subject: Re: 2.1 WBX: Leak between water pump and coolant crossover pipe Reply with quote

Yeah, this is a 2.1, so there's no o-ring. One of the things done WAS a slightly larger oil pump, but I don't think it's pushing the crossover pipe out.

To provide some possible closure: I held a straight edge to the flange on another crossover pipe - it was quite flat. The one in the van has a bit of an arc to it, as though someone (no, not me!) overtorqued it at some point and pulled the edges of the flange with the bolt holes in toward the water pump.

I trimmed the edges of the paper gasket around the bolt holes, where there is no sealing action, to allow for clearance of the warped flange, and gooped it up. I used the black cylinder head goop because I had lots left over from putting the heads on. It's drying overnight, then I'll put coolant in tomorrow. Pictures to follow when I bring my camera nearer to the computer.

Hopefully it works! I spent as much time on that one leak today as I did putting the whole engine back in! Fingers crossed...

Thanks for everyone's help!
jberger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:25 am    Post subject: Re: 2.1 WBX: Leak between water pump and coolant crossover pipe Reply with quote

I'm curious.. did it work?
table
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:03 am    Post subject: Re: 2.1 WBX: Leak between water pump and coolant crossover pipe Reply with quote

I filled it last night... no drips. Haven't started it yet. I do like that head sealant goop - very sticky. (I did make sure sealing surfaces were clean and oil free and dry)
table
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:45 pm    Post subject: Re: 2.1 WBX: Leak between water pump and coolant crossover pipe Reply with quote

Just for everyone's info, I've put a few hundred miles on the repair now, and it seems to be holding just fine. If I could do it again I'd take it right out but that wasn't going to happen easily without pulling the crank pulley.
table
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 11:47 pm    Post subject: Re: 2.1 WBX: Leak, water pump and coolant crossover pipe SOLVED Reply with quote

If you're having trouble imagining all this, I finally got the pictures off my camera:

I used a feeler gauge as a straight edge. There was a big gap inboard of the fastener holes.

I modified the gasket as shown here and gooped it up real good.
fortheloveofvdub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 8:24 pm    Post subject: Re: 2.1 WBX: Leak, water pump and coolant crossover pipe SOLVED Reply with quote

I have this exact problem tonight. I got that new crossover pipe behind the pulley last winter. It took me all day. I’m going to have to attempt to re-seal there at the water pump/pipe connection. That new pipe came from bus depot and the fitment was far from perfect. Very bummed.
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 9:21 am    Post subject: Re: 2.1 WBX: Leak, water pump and coolant crossover pipe SOLVED Reply with quote

fortheloveofvdub wrote:
I have this exact problem tonight. ..... That new pipe came from bus depot and the fitment was far from perfect. Very bummed.

If a flange(s) is not flat, you might be able to true it up using a thick piece of glass and various grades of emery cloth.

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
T3 Pilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 9:25 am    Post subject: Re: 2.1 WBX: Leak, water pump and coolant crossover pipe SOLVED Reply with quote

.... or a belt sander

The most important part in every vehicle is the nut behind the wheel......
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: