Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Type 64 Coming to the 36hp Challenge
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Vintage Speed Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bruce cook
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:47 am    Post subject: Re: Type 64 Coming to the 36hp Challenge Reply with quote

Dave Miller is making a race deck lid it will be on the car soon.
TinCanFab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 64 Coming to the 36hp Challenge Reply with quote

The engine is an awesome mix of old and new school. I love the serpentine setup, very nice

They're never really ever finished 58 rag build...
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=658092
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bruce cook
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 6:15 am    Post subject: Re: Type 64 Coming to the 36hp Challenge Reply with quote

More work on the racer as we near testing time
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

bruce cook
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 4:33 am    Post subject: Re: Type 64 Coming to the 36hp Challenge Reply with quote

Chassis sensors are in place, now for the under body defuser Rolling Eyes

hazetguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 4:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 64 Coming to the 36hp Challenge Reply with quote

][][][][

Last edited by hazetguy on Tue Sep 05, 2017 6:11 am; edited 1 time in total
JeeWee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 10:21 am    Post subject: Re: Type 64 Coming to the 36hp Challenge Reply with quote

bruce cook wrote:
After only 4 pulls on the dyno with small venturis Whitey Worsham 36 based
race engine made 172 H.P. now for some BIG venturi!!

wow I am impressed with the results, thanks for sharing! Any specs about the engine setup? Looks very epic so I expect quite some custom made parts!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
obieoberstar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 4:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 64 Coming to the 36hp Challenge Reply with quote

bruce cook wrote:
Chassis sensors are in place, now for the under body defuser Rolling Eyes

I have been following this build for a while now. Excited with each update.

Could you describe the function of these chassis sensors?
bruce cook
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 4:07 am    Post subject: Re: Type 64 Coming to the 36hp Challenge Reply with quote

The chassis senors are to measure down force and lift, this is needed to set the car up. The engine is the work of Whitey from German Automotive with 1699cc
henry roberts
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 1:31 am    Post subject: Re: Type 64 Coming to the 36hp Challenge Reply with quote

You broke the 100bhp/L mark, all motor! I knew it was possible, congratulations and great work.
bruce cook
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 2:52 am    Post subject: Re: Type 64 Coming to the 36hp Challenge Reply with quote

After over 6 years in the works The Type 64 Land Speed Racer will run at
the first ECTA event in Arkansas this coming April 2018

36hplandspeedracer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 4:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 64 Coming to the 36hp Challenge Reply with quote

The Type 64 tribute car is finished and race ready.

The results of the Team Versuchwagen Type 64's A2 Wind Tunnel test were spectacular and verified the aero efficiencies of Kommendas original sketches. And some surprises as well. In the tunnel, the vehicles tires are placed on top of sensitive computer connected electronic scales mounted under the floor which record variations in pressure as air flows over, under and around the body at various wind speeds. The biggest surprise (lesson?) came when improvement was found by removing the Copacetic Metal Shaping fabricated full belly pan along with the rear fender skirts/spats. This combination provided the most stable pressures at higher air flow speeds. It was determined the rear skirts/spats added 50 pounds of lift to the rear! It was also determined that installing a 4 3/4 inch tall perfectly vertical spoiler at the rear deck lid area would actually reduce lift, add stability "and reduce drag" making higher speeds possible without increasing horsepower. There is no front splitter, air dam or spoiler. The wind tunnel engineer running the tests indicated he had never seen such a early example of aerodynamics prove so successful. Kudos to Erwin Kommendas foresight and natural aero expertise.

Photo Copyright Roger Ball / www.callball.com

This car will be raced just once in the Type 64 configuration, in April at the ECTA speed trials in Blytheville, Arkansas, http://ecta-lsr.com/. After that, Dave will remove the T64 tribute body where it will then be installed on a second VW chassis/floorpan designed strictly for street driving at which point you can expect to see Dave enjoying the car at east coast Volkswagen and Porsche events. Bruce Cooks race based VW Beetle floorpan will then have a stock Volkswagen Type 1 sedan body installed and then delivered to the A2 Wind Tunnel to give us the first actual wind tunnel test of a Beetle air cooled sedan. After the VW Beetle wind tunnel test, the Bug will return to Arkansas for a attempt to capture the 36hp Challenge DSS (vintage dual carb) Bug record.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Axel Andersson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:09 am    Post subject: Re: Type 64 Coming to the 36hp Challenge Reply with quote

Impressive work Bruce and the others.

Best of luck with the future of the T64 Project.

Jorgen
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 64 Coming to the 36hp Challenge Reply with quote

That's THE only car I wish I had that I don't have. A work of art.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
1973 Ghia convertible
36hplandspeedracer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:45 am    Post subject: Re: Type 64 Coming to the 36hp Challenge Reply with quote

Press Release

Team Versuchen
Type 64 Tribute Vehicle
March 5, 2018

For immediate release:

Deja Vu

It has happened again. In 1939 Dr. Porsche created the KDF Typ 64 competition car to race in the Berlin to Rome high speed endurance race. World War 2 happened and the Typ 64 never turned a wheel in anger, leaving Dr. Porsches dream unfulfilled. Deja vu, and now the new handcrafted Typ 64 tribute car created to race for top speed records has met a similar fate.

Much to our regret, Team Versuchen, the group preparing to race the recently completed Type 64 KDF/VW/Porsche tribute car, has no option but to announce that planned competition with the car in April at the E.C.T.A. land speed event in Blytheville, Arkansas, will not take place. Due to legal complications, Team Versuchen has severed all ties with Copacetic Metal Shaping and Dave Miller.

It saddens us to advise all Team Versuchen followers, especially after all the effort and investment over the past six years, that it will not be possible to utilize the Type 64 tribute body or the unique custom components designed specifically for this special vehicle in a competitive environment.

All of your interest and support has been greatly appreciated.

Sincerely

Team Versuchen
Bruce Cook
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
D-train
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 64 Coming to the 36hp Challenge Reply with quote

What? That’s not good! Will it ever race?

Or will you now drop it off to my house?
36hplandspeedracer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 64 Coming to the 36hp Challenge Reply with quote

D-train wrote:

Sadly, no.......................
D-train
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 1:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 64 Coming to the 36hp Challenge Reply with quote

36hplandspeedracer wrote:
D-train wrote:

Sadly, no.......................

Is that no for racing?

Or no for my house? Hehe

What was the reason if you don’t mind me asking?
Axel Andersson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:49 am    Post subject: Re: Type 64 Coming to the 36hp Challenge Reply with quote

Bruce - Very, very sorry to hear this.

Is there still a chance there will be a turn of events?
AirCooledClassics
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:46 am    Post subject: Re: Type 64 Coming to the 36hp Challenge Reply with quote

Wow this is Painful . I can't get over this!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJoq3MtsPmc

My National Dragster article
http://www.dragracecentral.com/DRCStory.asp?ID=231552
PeteSC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2019 8:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 64 Coming to the 36hp Challenge Reply with quote

I believe this is the same car in this thread. I took these photos at “Cars on Kiawah” today in Charleston, South Carolina. Absolutely incredible machine. It was driven to the show from North Carolina.

Last edited by PeteSC on Mon May 06, 2019 5:22 am; edited 2 times in total
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vintage Speed All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: