Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

seat belt repair 1969 beetle
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
KSKI
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:41 pm    Post subject: seat belt repair 1969 beetle Reply with quote

I have a 69 convertible with three point seat belts- the problem is they don't pull out- any way to trip the locking mechanism or such thing?
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:45 pm    Post subject: Re: seat belt repair 1969 beetle Reply with quote

I recommend NOT fixing - those things are almost 50 years old !!! Get some modern HumVee type retractable units, like I have in my 1971 Convertible.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:13 pm    Post subject: Re: seat belt repair 1969 beetle Reply with quote

So, here's the thing. Original 1969 VW Beetle seat belts were non-retractable. They had a spring winder that pulled the slack out of the belts when you took them off so they were less likely to get caught in the door. And they were meant to be hung up on a little hook when they weren't being used so back seat passengers wouldn't get tangled up in them when getting in and out of the car. None of this worked particularly well.

If your belts are retractable they are not stock, so no way to really know how to make them work without pictures.

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:56 pm    Post subject: Re: seat belt repair 1969 beetle Reply with quote

You might be able to get away with removing them all together. If they didn't come in the car when it was made you don't have to have them. Maybe your state is different though.
5% Off your order with coupon code: 5%OFF
Restored Distributors Available (<--Click here)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 6:04 pm    Post subject: Re: seat belt repair 1969 beetle Reply with quote

kawfee wrote:
You might be able to get away with removing them all together. If they didn't come in the car when it was made you don't have to have them. Maybe your state is different though.

AFAIK all of the contiguous United States require seat belts in cars that had them as standard equipment.
I wear mine religiously. If I get behind the wheel they are on. Even when I'm moving the car in a parking lot without the belt on I feel uncomfortable.

Wear seat belts. They save lives. Even in a 50yo VW Beetle Shocked

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 6:13 pm    Post subject: Re: seat belt repair 1969 beetle Reply with quote

67rustavenger wrote:

AFAIK all of the contiguous United States require seat belts in cars that had them as standard equipment.

That is probably true. In Texas you only have to wear them if the car was made with them in it or if someone installed them in the car at a later date and they remain. If your car wasn't made with them you do not have to have them as long as there are none in the car currently.

Seat belts save and they don't. They've never saved my life. I don't believe in them unless I am in an open roof car.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ach60 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 6:35 pm    Post subject: Re: seat belt repair 1969 beetle Reply with quote

buy new
http://www.westcoastmetric.com/search.html?q=seat+belt&go=Search
I have a VW Convertible and I found the stock 3 point belts really painful due to the height of the upper anchor.
Nothing short of installing a roll bar with higher anchor would solve this problem, so I installed new lap belts instead.
These cars really don't do well in crashes, but you'll do a lot better if you don't get thrown out of the car because you had no seat belt on.
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:12 pm    Post subject: Re: seat belt repair 1969 beetle Reply with quote

Factory seat belt retractors looked like this http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=C16-111-704A $9

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
bnam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 12:20 am    Post subject: Re: seat belt repair 1969 beetle Reply with quote

KSKI wrote:
I have a 69 convertible with three point seat belts- the problem is they don't pull out- any way to trip the locking mechanism or such thing?

If they are retractable REPA ones that were retrofitted at some point, I can help you get it unstuck. Post some pics.

The other comments above apply -- there are safer ones available today. Even a properly working original REPA (even if belts were not weakened with age) will be outperformed by a new unit.
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 5:23 am    Post subject: Re: seat belt repair 1969 beetle Reply with quote

kawfee wrote:

Vw shipped the car with seat belts, but not with retractable seat belts. Wink

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
bobinphx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 6:25 am    Post subject: Re: seat belt repair 1969 beetle Reply with quote

I FULLY second the Humvee belts. I put a set in my 1969 and they work great. The belts are cheap and the quality is very high.

I did make a small modification. These belts have a habit of the clip sliding all the way down to the anchor point on the floor. It makes them hard to just grab and sling over your shoulder to click them in. to fix this, I hand sewed a small round black button about shoulder height on the belt. This keeps the clip in part in the perfect position to just grab it, click it in and go. My Nissan truck has a similar button from the factory, just for this problem.

Get the belts. javascript:emoticon('Very Happy')
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 6:29 am    Post subject: Re: seat belt repair 1969 beetle Reply with quote

bobinphx wrote:
I FULLY second the Humvee belts. I put a set in my 1969 and they work great. The belts are cheap and the quality is very high.

Oh yes: I had to buy a pair of inexpensive brackets for these for mine.
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 6:34 am    Post subject: Re: seat belt repair 1969 beetle Reply with quote

Mr. Cusser directed me to the Humm Vee style of seatbelts. They are fine and dandy!

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
Tom K.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 6:07 am    Post subject: Re: seat belt repair 1969 beetle Reply with quote

x2, x3, x4? on the Humvee seat belts. They are cheap, easy to install, and work perfectly. Search this site for more info and where on ebay to find them.
'65 Ghia: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=762478&highlight=
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 7:52 am    Post subject: Re: seat belt repair 1969 beetle Reply with quote

67rustavenger wrote:
kawfee wrote:

All cars sold in the US since 1967 must have seat belts. VW had the mount points in the body from the early '60s. In '66 they were optional and many came with them. In '67 they were installed in all US model Beetles.
Rear seat belts may have come later as mandatory?

FYI, my '67 came with funky retractable seat belts that hooked to a chrome "loop" mounted between the front seats. Those were the "early days" of automotive safety! It was one step ahead of tying a rope around your waist! Laughing
Pics I found of the '67 seat belt:

'67 Beetle #1 {project car that never made it to the road Sad }
'75 Beetle 1200LS (RHD Japan model) {junked due to frame rot}
'67 Beetle #2 {2019 project car - Wish me luck!}
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:46 pm    Post subject: Re: seat belt repair 1969 beetle Reply with quote

That's very novel.
Volks Wagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 4:44 pm    Post subject: Re: seat belt repair 1969 beetle Reply with quote

KSKI wrote:

Most retractable seatbelts need to be positioned/orientated correctly to pull out without locking up. There's a 'sweetspot' where they can be pulled out and this varies from type to type. There's a ballbearing in a hollow and if it's not seated down fully it is pushing up on a ratchet arm and locking the gear so the belt won't unwind. To get the ball down into the lowest position and freeing the ratchet means you need to move the springloaded roller mechanism in 2D to get tilt right on both axes. It is a very small sweetspot, have patience and keep moving and pulling the belt. Then install them in that position...

I'm definitely, probably, the worlds greatest lover.

Aithníonn ciaróg ciaróg eile.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: