Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

No port code flipseat with primer grey interior?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
otahuhu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 3:09 am    Post subject: No port code flipseat with primer grey interior? Reply with quote

Hi starting on a tear down and preservation on this flipseat... curtains have now gone getting some bbt fabric.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The unusual thing is that it has a primer grey interior...

sardine can had exploded at some point years ago under the cabinets Shocked

Anyway, you can see in this pic even the westy only bracket around the handle is primer grey.

Po painted 3 of the 6 window surrounds with house paint, makes even a westy brush paint job look tidy...

Anyone else have a westy with a primer grey interior? I seem to recall a velvet green sub hatch on here that looked to have a primer interior?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
easy e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 6:33 am    Post subject: Re: No port code flipseat with primer grey interior? Reply with quote

otahuhu wrote:
Hi starting on a tear down and preservation ...

Anyone else have a westy with a primer grey interior? I seem to recall a velvet green sub hatch on here that looked to have a primer interior?

I'm no help on the primer question... but, dayum... that baby is nice!!

Is May '64 early for a pointy rear bumper? I thought that was a mid-'65 thing. I guess lots of rear bumpers have been bumped & changed.
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 6:56 am    Post subject: Re: No port code flipseat with primer grey interior? Reply with quote

otahuhu wrote:

Looking at your M-code plate I see a 64 kombi, regular kombi paint, bench seat, sold in Germany with US spec. But the pics show the spare tire well in back.

This is in the gallery, an mcode plate from an Aug 63 flipseat. It has the paint code expected for a mid to late 60s westy:

Here's another:

more pics af the area around your mcode plate?
around where your bulkhead isn't?
under the front seat?

Looks like your bus was converted to a camper after it was sold and left the dealership. I suspect it was ordered by an American for pick up in Europe, to have a vacation there, and to bring home at the end of the trip. There are a few documented like this. Most have lost their documentation.
Yours does not have the usual specs for a flipseat. I think the rear bumper is not original, and it is missing the bumper over-riders.

Looks like someone had done a bunch of work on that bus before, new cushion fabric, new curtains (in SO-42 material, this rings a bell). It even has water bottless and a chandelier. Tidy! I see you are installing bungees. Smile
Looks like a fun camper ready to go.
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:16 am    Post subject: Re: No port code flipseat with primer grey interior? Reply with quote

great bus

yes, as a kombi it would have the grey primer interior

agreed with the above - has all the usual tourist stuff. surprised it doesn't have 6 pop-outs listed though
Z
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:46 am    Post subject: Re: No port code flipseat with primer grey interior? Reply with quote

Wow, great bus.

That sardine can thing, tho...eek.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
otahuhu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:40 am    Post subject: Re: No port code flipseat with primer grey interior? Reply with quote

Thank you for the replies, if it looks familiar Clara it probably is, it made the wines years ago because the Og owners widow and son in Albuquerque listed it cheaply then jacked the price right up, it then took a while to sell even though it had so many of the htf Westy parts. Pic from the Og ad...

I always remembered it and jumped on it when it came up again. I knew it was a no port code picked up in Germany Flipseat with the usual steering lock, USA specs, prep for camper and 199 mcodes, but thought it was odd it had no Westy paint code and really wierd that it has a primer interior. I will take pics of Flipseat area tomorrow it all looks legit. The curtain and Og bungee were preserved because no one had ever removed the grog cabinet, not even to look for the fishy smell Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oakman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 11:21 am    Post subject: Re: No port code flipseat with primer grey interior? Reply with quote

Killer Westy!! I got to check your flipseat out in person at Octo a while back, very nice bus.

otahuhu wrote:

Here's a 65' Velvet Green Subhatch Westy (so-33 i think), no port code, that is primer in the camping area and also has no Westy paint code:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=673066&highlight=

Last edited by oakman on Mon Jul 24, 2017 6:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Malokin Martin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 3:15 pm    Post subject: Re: No port code flipseat with primer grey interior? Reply with quote

I lusted after that bus. You are correct, it was a jerk move for the PO to squeeze the price.
hazetguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 5:41 pm    Post subject: Re: No port code flipseat with primer grey interior? Reply with quote

I remember seeing, and selling parts to the guy that owned that bus when I lived in Albuquerque. Always drooled over it, and thought the big hatch/hatchtop combo was pretty slick. Glad to see it again.
It was (and still looks to be) just a nice, clean bus that hasn't been all screwed with. Guard that chandelier with your life!
zuggbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:06 pm    Post subject: Re: No port code flipseat with primer grey interior? Reply with quote

Very nice
otahuhu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 12:58 am    Post subject: Re: No port code flipseat with primer grey interior? Reply with quote

Clara wrote:

more pics af the area around your mcode plate?
around where your bulkhead isn't?
under the front seat?

Clara I got up there and took some pics of the areas you were after...

pretty sure tag has never been messed with.

Under the the flipseats arms between the matt the arm and the base was really chewed up, If you have a late flipseat with the matt i would have a good look at this area! this is a dry bus, I guess the dust had piled up under there? there are piles of New Mexico dust everywhere in this bus.

The rest of it looks good a bit of rot and early repair over where the water jugs are stored (leaked?) the good old white house paint the og owners used around the windows is coming of with water and a cloth.

Thanks for the link to the velvet green bus thats the one I was thinking of...

I'll keep this going as a work in progress thread now. There are a few things to do in order to get it road worthy in this country, however I will be taking my time keeping it as og as possible and where it has been modified bringing it back to og.

Again, thanks for all the kind comments, I am really happy to have this bus Smile
oakman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 11:41 am    Post subject: Re: No port code flipseat with primer grey interior? Reply with quote

otahuhu wrote:

Under the the flipseats arms between the matt the arm and the base was really chewed up, If you have a late flipseat with the matt i would have a good look at this area! this is a dry bus, I guess the dust had piled up under there? there are piles of New Mexico dust everywhere in this bus.

Seems to be a dirt and water trap there, common place for rot. I see the plates beneath have drains built in like the rockers do but I'm sure they are all packed with dirt. I'm afraid to see what mine looks like! Your cab floor and everything else around there is super nice. Shocked At least it is pretty easy to access for repair.
oakman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 1:50 pm    Post subject: Re: No port code flipseat with primer grey interior? Reply with quote

Two years have flown by fast! Any updates on this sweet rig??

Clara wrote:

Looks like your bus was converted to a camper after it was sold and left the dealership. I suspect it was ordered by an American for pick up in Europe, to have a vacation there, and to bring home at the end of the trip. There are a few documented like this. Most have lost their documentation.
Yours does not have the usual specs for a flipseat.

I was looking back through this thread and wondered how this was possible?

Being a flipseat and seeing that it has M-367 which includes M-192 (body outfitted for camper) plus M-199 (used on swivel seats and Westfalia flipseat campers), it would have left the factory ready to go to Westfalia for the rest of the conversion work..right?

I can't see how it would have left the factory as a "normal" kombi taken to Westfalia for conversion by the new owners. What did they use as a front seat as the flipseat would not have been installed yet? I don't believe the seat stand area was later hacked at Westfalia from a walkthru or bench seat. This bus also has the odd "flipseat only" opposite opening pop-out behind the driver and the "closet vent" pop-out.

Just an interesting observation. There are obviously some Westfalia buses out there that don't fit into the standard "box" of what's normal. This bus and Mitch's Velvet Green 65' Subhatch so-33 https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=673066&highlight=karma are just two of them. Neither one has the Westy paint code, both have primer rear interior areas, and both are absolutely genuine Westfalias.

Last edited by oakman on Tue Jul 23, 2019 10:25 pm; edited 2 times in total
otahuhu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 5:26 pm    Post subject: Re: No port code flipseat with primer grey interior? Reply with quote

Hi Brandon, I'm working out of the country a lot but the bus is finally going to the right bodyman to do the rust under the flipseat arms and give it a little tickle here and there. Its literally taken years for this guy to be able to have some time to work on the bus. It will be strictly a preservation not a restoration. I just had all the running gear gone through, removed the disc brake kit that was on it and gone back to stock brakes. Basically anything that wasn't og has been put back to stock incl removing the fake safaris. Also found the last few missing items from the bus which included an original so34 owners manual, two bucket toilet a few westy rack clamps and one og cabinet knob. Big thanks to Greg and Clara, Merz and a Scammer from Italy (interesting Story)

I like the grey interior its still a mystery to me but I think the key thing with this bus is the 199 mcode... Swivel driver's seat Panel Van, Camper, Kombi...Also used on Flipseat Westfalia campers. The m199 code is contained in the m361 package incl in the m367 package Confused seen on the mcode plate. I Imagine the bus was transported sans seat to Westfalia by rail where it was outfitted with its so34 interior and then delivered to Berlin for pick up as part of the USA tourist delivery program hence all the USA spec mcodes. Maybe they just forgot to paint the interior at Hanover or maybe it was ordered that way its a kind of mouse grey grey interior like the old delivered in primer buses.

Ill update this thread with a few pics shortly... Anthony
oakman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 6:38 pm    Post subject: Re: No port code flipseat with primer grey interior? Reply with quote

otahuhu wrote:
I think the key thing with this bus is the 199 mcode... Swivel driver's seat Panel Van, Camper, Kombi...Also used on Flipseat Westfalia campers. The m199 code is contained in the m361 package incl in the m367 package Confused seen on the mcode plate. I Imagine the bus was transported sans seat to Westfalia by rail where it was outfitted with its so34 interior and then delivered to Berlin for pick up as part of the USA tourist delivery program hence all the USA spec mcodes. Maybe they just forgot to paint the interior at Hanover or maybe it was ordered that way its a kind of mouse grey grey interior like the old delivered in primer buses.

Ill update this thread with a few pics shortly... Anthony

Ever since I got my birth certificate, which like yours, shows M-199 as the seatbelt code (which doesn't really make sense as all of these later buses already had seatbelt mounting points from factory) I keep forgetting that M-199 is the actual code for Swivel Seats and Flipseats.. Embarassed

Glad to hear of the progress!!
j.pickens
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 7:41 pm    Post subject: Re: No port code flipseat with primer grey interior? Reply with quote

Quote:
It will be strictly a preservation not a restoration.

Thank you.

i wish more people would actually drive their vws rather than just talking about what they have in the garage.

Red Fau Veh wrote:
If you've seen one sunroof swivel seat kombi, you've seen them all! Cool
otahuhu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 4:54 am    Post subject: Re: No port code flipseat with primer grey interior? Reply with quote

Finally started on this last year and now have some time to upload some pics. To be clear I'm not taking any credit for the work here, I'm just writing the cheques. Credit goes to Dave Hermanns, Cory Woodd and Ivan fuller at... https://www.revivem.co.nz/ although these guys are predominately doing full blown restos I managed to slip the westy in and get them to promise to save a much og metal as possible and not go to crazy. Unfortunately here in NZ we have strict compliance rules that have to be adhered to before you can legally drive a vehicle on the road. Although this bus was solid it had some previous poor repairs to the rear and front that needed to be sorted properly and a bit of rust under the flipseat arms and one rocker. Pics...

Bus before, looking good with one of Jaceks' rack covers...

Not a good sign...

Nasty

Remove the damage and fabricating a cpl of bits

Test fit...

Repair the old

Better

Re skin, unfortunatly the old was to beat-up and poorly worked to save

Next up more of the same on the right side...
otahuhu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 5:24 am    Post subject: Re: No port code flipseat with primer grey interior? Reply with quote

The Right side

Looking familiar...

cutting the bad

Repairing the old

Nasty

Fixing the og

Test

refit

Re skin, Tig welds

Nearly there...

Coming up, Rust under the flipseat arm...

And a crappa

orangebug60guy
Twin #1

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 5:39 am    Post subject: Re: No port code flipseat with primer grey interior? Reply with quote

Nice job. Love this bus. Why didn't you remove the engine while doing all this welding?
otahuhu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 5:50 am    Post subject: Re: No port code flipseat with primer grey interior? Reply with quote

orangebug60guy wrote:
Nice job. Love this bus. Why didn't you remove the engine while doing all this welding?

Smile Seriously I have asked myself the same question so many times, but like I said I'm just writing the cheques and I surrender to the superior wisdom. Its possible they figured that with the corners off they would have plenty of access anyway. I really don't know? I plan on pulling the motor as soon as I get it back to remove muffler and make it look like a 1500 again and so the painter can get in there.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: