Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Volvo goes electric
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:28 am    Post subject: Re: Volvo goes electric Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
kawfee wrote:
Subsidies can and will inflate a market. It's one of the abnormalities to our capitalistic style not being a laissez faire type. One would hope it helps the product/etc in question to take hold. It seems to have done the job in this instance. I see Teslas everywhere.

Funny thing when gasoline gets up around 4 to 5 bucks a gallon people become interested in saving fuel. If you live long enough you'll remember what I said.

I've seen those prices once already. I probably won't remember you said it but you never know. Maybe we will become good friends and we'll be sitting on your porch drinking iced tea and you can remind me.
5% Off your order with coupon code: 5%OFF
Restored Distributors Available (<--Click here)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Redneckgearhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 2:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Volvo goes electric Reply with quote

Yea my brother owed 50k on a 30k mustang. It got totaled and his gap insurance picked up the tab. It was funny that his regular insurance tried to value it as a base v6 ( they obviously know what it is, they insured it) and my brother caught it. Their first question when he mentioned it "Don't you have GAP insurance? Why do you care?" Yes he went out and bought another one, at least he's not as far upside down on it.

My 99 suburban gets 15mpg loaded or not. The wife's 07 Yukon gets around 17, and surprisingly enough it didn't change when we disabled the engine destroying active fuel management. Government subsidies will always cause a rise in price with very little rise in technology.
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 4:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Volvo goes electric Reply with quote

Q-Dog wrote:
These "subsides" some of you mention came by way of tax rebates for buying more fuel efficient vehicles. The reasoning was that kick-starting the purchase of these vehicles would advance the technology and get companies to produce more fuel efficient vehicles.

Anyone remember the business tax breaks the government offered for the purchase of heavy duty trucks and SUVs about 10 years ago? That was when gas prices were near $4 a gallon and automakers were declaring bankruptcy because they couldn't sell their gas guzzlers.

And with gas selling at around 2.50 a gallon, the only vehicles selling like hot cakes are trucks and SUVs. The thing is they aren't getting better mileage, but they are getting bigger. So much for "cash for clunkers", as all that did was get rid of available parts cars to help keep our old junk (not my VW) going.

Like others, I'm still driving something that gets 25+ mpg on a regular basis, as I can't afford to buy anything new.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 6:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Volvo goes electric Reply with quote

Gas still below 2 bucks here every redneck and his brother is driving a big truck just like it will go on forever. You shoulda heard the bitching and moaning back when it topped out over 4. I am looking forward to that again. Very Happy
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Volvo goes electric Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
Gas still below 2 bucks here every redneck and his brother is driving a big truck just like it will go on forever. You shoulda heard the bitching and moaning back when it topped out over 4. I am looking forward to that again. Very Happy

I've been waiting patiently too. Hopefully, everyone dumps their trucks and flood the used market. The last time it happened you could get trucks for very good prices.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 6:12 am    Post subject: Re: Volvo goes electric Reply with quote

kawfee wrote:
Zundfolge1432 wrote:

I've been waiting patiently too. Hopefully, everyone dumps their trucks and flood the used market. The last time it happened you could get trucks for very good prices.

The used pickup market was flooded with pickups here a few months ago with the last big round of oilfield layoffs. I would think Houston has the same situation.

I was looking for a small, plain, single cab pickup at the time and all the dealerships told me I was looking for a unicorn ... hard to find even a new small truck from any dealer. But there is no shortage of full sized pickups and all of them told me they could give me a good deal on any number of 4-door, 4-wheel-drive, jacked up, full-sized pickups.

After months of looking I stumbled upon a 2011 Ford Ranger with 40,000 miles. 4 cylinder, 5 speed, single cab, manual everything. It is exactly what I wanted, just wish I could find something new. And I've been thinking about my usage. A small electric pickup with 150-200 mile range would be enough for most of my needs.

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:13 am    Post subject: Re: Volvo goes electric Reply with quote

Q-Dog wrote:
kawfee wrote:
Zundfolge1432 wrote:

The used pickup market was flooded with pickups here a few months ago with the last big round of oilfield layoffs. I would think Houston has the same situation.

I was looking for a small, plain, single cab pickup at the time and all the dealerships told me I was looking for a unicorn ... hard to find even a new small truck from any dealer. But there is no shortage of full sized pickups and all of them told me they could give me a good deal on any number of 4-door, 4-wheel-drive, jacked up, full-sized pickups.

After months of looking I stumbled upon a 2011 Ford Ranger with 40,000 miles. 4 cylinder, 5 speed, single cab, manual everything. It is exactly what I wanted, just wish I could find something new. And I've been thinking about my usage. A small electric pickup with 150-200 mile range would be enough for most of my needs.

I haven't really seen things slow down in Houston. much. I think it's all the well sites and smaller refineries/processors that have gotten hit the hardest. We have seen quite a few layoffs around here in many of the oil and gas companies. At the same times there are a dozen new hi-rise business and apartment buildings being built in the downtown/uptown/energy areas. I am quite shocked when I drive into uptown and see a new hi-rise being built every time.

Even with $4 gas people may not be tempted to sell as they were last time. We can only hope.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 11:54 am    Post subject: Re: Volvo goes electric Reply with quote

I think you and I are hoping for different reasons. My hope is that people will use more mass transit, ride sharing/car pooling,biking,walking and that alternative fuel sources will become more widely accepted. The whole infrastructure is designed to favor cars where I am, no sidewalks,no mass trasit nothing. It's not by accident.
Redneckgearhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 12:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Volvo goes electric Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
I think you and I are hoping for different reasons. My hope is that people will use more mass transit, ride sharing/car pooling,biking,walking and that alternative fuel sources will become more widely accepted. The whole infrastructure is designed to favor cars where I am, no sidewalks,no mass trasit nothing. It's not by accident.

Just not feasible nor cost effective outside large metropolitan area.
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 12:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Volvo goes electric Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:

There's no mass transit where I am either. They have buses and a new light rail but if you have and own a car you will drive it instead of taking those.

Small towns can barely afford the one stop light in the middle of town. I doubt they will ever have mass transit. It's just too expensive to build for a very small population.

Europe is wonderful with their transit system but you can fit all of Europe into Texas.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 12:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Volvo goes electric Reply with quote

They are trying converting regular lanes into bike lanes in the Los Angeles area, and it's a pipe dream. Sorry, I will not be riding a bike with my computer bag in 100 degree heat. Nor in rain. Nor can I carpool on a bike. It just won't happen. Using tax dollars (and lanes we already paid for with car taxes) for bikes is just fantasy. The Ciclavia events are just that... events, not a transport system.

Build more roads.
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 12:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Volvo goes electric Reply with quote

I rode a bike for most of the time I was at University in Austin. It was great. Austin is built for it. Many cities are not. Most drivers are not looking for motorcycles let along bikes. 75% of all motorcycle accidents are caused by a car that did not see them. I suspect the bicyclists that get run over may be similar.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 4:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Volvo goes electric Reply with quote

Redneckgearhead wrote:
Zundfolge1432 wrote:

Just not feasible nor cost effective outside large metropolitan area.

Instead of looking at negatives why not think of ways to make it work?

We had people coming from semi rural areas to a parking lot they got on a small shuttle bus that went into the city. Kept wear and tear off the car saved a little gas. It's called park and ride. Probably wouldn't interest you, it works. Very Happy
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 6:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Volvo goes electric Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:

We had people coming from semi rural areas to a parking lot they got on a small shuttle bus that went into the city. Kept wear and tear off the car saved a little gas. It's called park and ride. Probably wouldn't interest you, it works. Very Happy

We've got those. They are dotted along the main highways about every 5 miles or so. The people in the suburbs drive to them and hop in a van or carpool together. We have one way HOV lanes which are blocked from the highway so that no one on the highway can enter them. I've never seen them blocked with traffic. It's a very quick way to get into downtown which is sometimes 26 miles away.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 6:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Volvo goes electric Reply with quote

I remember Houston traffic jams, if Houston wasn't enough reason to leave, the traffic certainly was.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Volvo goes electric Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
I remember Houston traffic jams, if Houston wasn't enough reason to leave, the traffic certainly was.

Dallas has been the same way. Austin is now too. I hear San Antonio is expanding rapidly as well.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 6:22 am    Post subject: Re: Volvo goes electric Reply with quote

kawfee wrote:
TDCTDI wrote:

Dallas has been the same way. Austin is now too. I hear San Antonio is expanding rapidly as well.

Picture 8 lane freeway Friday afternoon around L. A. More specifically getting out of Long Beach heading for San Bernardino, Now that's traffic. Very Happy what to do if you gotta take a leak?
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 10:21 am    Post subject: Re: Volvo goes electric Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
kawfee wrote:
TDCTDI wrote:

Picture 8 lane freeway Friday afternoon around L. A. More specifically getting out of Long Beach heading for San Bernardino, Now that's traffic. Very Happy what to do if you gotta take a leak?

26 lanes, total, here.
http://www.politifact.com/texas/statements/2016/ap...-turner-t/

Give it 15 years and they will make it wider.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: