Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1976 baywindow engine wiring diagram
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
cchris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 2:52 pm    Post subject: Re: 1976 baywindow engine wiring diagram Reply with quote

I have two main wires to the alternator other than the batt cable I disconnected both still had a draw But in my loom i am missing the main feed wire that hooks to the alternator itself so i ran one straight to the battery when disconnected that one the light goes out
cchris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 2:54 pm    Post subject: Re: 1976 baywindow engine wiring diagram Reply with quote

I meant to the starter not the alternator
cchris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 3:17 pm    Post subject: Re: 1976 baywindow engine wiring diagram Reply with quote

Disconnected both main wires at starter still sparks I am missing the charge wire to the back of the alternator just have the 3 that go to the voltage regulator so i ran one straight to pos on battery when that wire is disconnected the test light goes out
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 3:39 pm    Post subject: Re: 1976 baywindow engine wiring diagram Reply with quote

So it seems your alternator has internal issues, or maybe it's a rebuilt Bosch and the stud is touching the cooling cover on the front like most do.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 4:21 pm    Post subject: Re: 1976 baywindow engine wiring diagram Reply with quote

Alternator Type IV (4)

You disconnected the big red wire that goes to B+ and the light went out?
click on pic
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 4:27 pm    Post subject: Re: 1976 baywindow engine wiring diagram Reply with quote

telford dorr wrote:
Slammed77bus wrote:
I recently had the same problem somewhat . But as I touch the red wire to the positive on the batter it begins to spark. I used my test light to check and when I clip the alligator clip to the positive and then touched the b+ b+ bolt and the light turned on. That means it's grounded right?

Right. It means there are shorted diodes inside the alternator.

With the alternator frame grounded and the regulator disconnected, connecting a test light from +12 volts to either B+ or D+ should NOT cause the test light to illuminate. If it does: shorted diodes.

Quote:
Before anyone says anything the Previous owners have the batter wires backwards. The RED is negative and BLACK is positive

I'd fix that ASAP. Should you connect the battery backwards, even for an instant, you can kiss the alternator goodbye. All the diodes will be forward biased, and thus allow ridiculous amounts of current to flow. The diodes will instantly melt and short. Shortly after that, any interconnecting wire will overheat and melt the insulation. Sort of a catastrophic failure...
cchris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:58 am    Post subject: Re: 1976 baywindow engine wiring diagram Reply with quote

The previous owner told me the alternator was a brand new 70 amp alternator and it looks brand new I checked the post on the back and it is not touching the tin For whatever reason i do not have a charge wire coming out of the loom that runs from the alternator to the starter but i do have 2-10 gauge red wires hooked to the starter so i figured i could run one directly to the battery instead when that is hooked up i get a spark
cchris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 11:12 am    Post subject: Re: 1976 baywindow engine wiring diagram Reply with quote

Dcash i pulled off the the 3 wire plug to the voltage regulator and ran a test light to the pos. on batt to the D+ post and the test light lit up which says it's a shorted diode in the alternator which i can't believe this is brand new, and doesn't even have dust in it yet It was never completely installed until now and the only wires i hooked up were to the brand new out of the box voltage reg. and a wire from D+ to batt. If that's the case i see no way to remove the alternator without removing the engine
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 11:18 am    Post subject: Re: 1976 baywindow engine wiring diagram Reply with quote

Please check this as busdaddy suggested.
Alternator Type IV (4)
cchris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 1:09 pm    Post subject: Re: 1976 baywindow engine wiring diagram Reply with quote

I checked and the post is not touching the shroud
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 2:04 pm    Post subject: Re: 1976 baywindow engine wiring diagram Reply with quote

How about the washer?, what happens if you leave the cover off and connect the battery?

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here

Слава Україні!
cchris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 4:36 pm    Post subject: Re: 1976 baywindow engine wiring diagram Reply with quote

Not sure what you mean by the washer i have 2 plastic washers between the alternator and the wire so it doesnt ground to the alt body and as for the cover it's a 75 amp alt so it doesn't have a cover just a exposed post .
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 6:06 pm    Post subject: Re: 1976 baywindow engine wiring diagram Reply with quote

Any of the washers on the front of the Alternator, that may be making contact with the intake cover.

cchris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 7:48 pm    Post subject: Re: 1976 baywindow engine wiring diagram Reply with quote

No i have 2 plastic washers between the alt and the wire to keep from grounding to alt body and i don't see anything near the post that would short it to ground

Last edited by cchris on Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
lil-jinx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:30 pm    Post subject: Re: 1976 baywindow engine wiring diagram Reply with quote

on youtube ,a guy pulls an alternator out in about 4 mins,best give yourself a bit more.
1968 Dune Buggy
1974 parts bus
A smart man learns from his mistakes,a very smart man learns from other's mistakes.
cchris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:19 pm    Post subject: Re: 1976 baywindow engine wiring diagram Reply with quote

I just watched that looks like he's done it a few times I can guarantee it will take me longer
cchris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 6:39 pm    Post subject: Re: 1976 baywindow engine wiring diagram Reply with quote

I guess i have to pull the alternator it only shorts is when i tighten down the wire. Running just a jumper it won't spark It must be pulling on the post enough to short against the alt body on the inside as if the post grommet is missing although the post feels solid
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:31 pm    Post subject: Re: 1976 baywindow engine wiring diagram Reply with quote

cchris wrote:
I guess i have to pull the alternator it only shorts is when i tighten down the wire. Running just a jumper it won't spark It must be pulling on the post enough to short against the alt body on the inside as if the post grommet is missing although the post feels solid

Let us know what you find out.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:51 pm    Post subject: Re: 1976 baywindow engine wiring diagram Reply with quote

Sounds like youll be finding out what an alternator swap is like, it's not really as bad as it seems and doesn't take too long.

Since it has issues anyways you might consider some "in place" work, take all the nuts and washers off that stud and see what you can see through the hole it's in, it may be something you can correct while it's installed.

Слава Україні!
cchris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:13 pm    Post subject: Re: 1976 baywindow engine wiring diagram Reply with quote

I'm not sure if i can see in the hole with the hole with it installed maybe with a mirror Hopefully there's a piece of crud in the grounding it out I'll let you know
Thanks
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: