Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

5 speed conversion
Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
sixfootdan
Samba Smartass

Location: \Lo*ca"tion\, n. 1. The act or process of locating.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 1:56 pm    Post subject: 5 speed conversion Reply with quote

I have a 1981 Caddy and I am removing the 4 speed in lieu of a 5 speed. The arm that moves the rod in a transverse direction needs to be longer to move past 3rd to reach 5th. I need to know the difference in length from the 4 speed to the 5 speed? Thanks in advance.

GO SEAHAWKS!!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 2:05 pm    Post subject: Re: 5 speed conversion Reply with quote

You'll really want to get the linkage out of a 5-speed car, the shifter box is slightly different too to allow for the extra throw of the lever.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
ps2375
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 6:06 pm    Post subject: Re: 5 speed conversion Reply with quote

And I think the piece with the ball on it is also different. I have adjusted a 4 speed linkage to shift a 5 speed tranny in the past, but it takes some trial and error, as you cannot use the method outlined in the Bently Manual.
sixfootdan
Samba Smartass

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:08 pm    Post subject: Re: 5 speed conversion Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
You'll really want to get the linkage out of a 5-speed car, the shifter box is slightly different too to allow for the extra throw of the lever.

I just found complete 5 speed linkage on Craigslist, So I guess I'll go that route. Cool

GO SEAHAWKS!!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sixfootdan
Samba Smartass

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 6:02 pm    Post subject: Re: 5 speed conversion Reply with quote

New problem, I drove my caddy with the 5 speed but I can't get 1st and 2nd without pushing down on the shifter as if to go in reverse. I slid the shifter plate around with no luck. I read somewhere about a stop finger gap needing to be 15mm but I don't know what that is? Before I start moving things around, I thought maybe someone has already been there. Thanks

GO SEAHAWKS!!!
ps2375
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 6:06 pm    Post subject: Re: 5 speed conversion Reply with quote

There is a very nice diagram in any Bently manual for any mkI for that adjustment. And it is done UNDERNEATH the car, not inside.
sixfootdan
Samba Smartass

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 7:49 pm    Post subject: Re: 5 speed conversion Reply with quote

ps2375 wrote:
There is a very nice diagram in any Bently manual for any mkI for that adjustment. And it is done UNDERNEATH the car, not inside.

I ordered a manual but still waiting for it. I just figured out the 15mm deal from some more reading. I also think the selector lever is set too far to the passenger side. I'll post results as I go. Cool

GO SEAHAWKS!!!
Butcher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 7:31 am    Post subject: Re: 5 speed conversion Reply with quote

sixfootdan wrote:
New problem, I drove my caddy with the 5 speed but I can't get 1st and 2nd without pushing down on the shifter as if to go in reverse.

There is one clamp on the linkage that needs to be loosen and the linkage needs to be rotated. Then tighten the clamp. If you think about it, you're not moving the lever far enough so that is why you have to press down to get it to move a bit more. It's pretty simple, but you may have to make a scratch mark so you know where you are starting from.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 8:31 am    Post subject: Re: 5 speed conversion Reply with quote

Put vehicle in first gear, loosen clamp on shift rod right where downpipe does the last turn to meet exhaust, push shift lever against lock out gate then move it away from gate (approximately 1/8", I used to insert a cassette tape case lid or CD case lid between the two. (this is assuming that all the bushings are new.)) then tighten the clamp underneath.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:41 am    Post subject: Re: 5 speed conversion Reply with quote

Stop finger, L-shaped component at end of #4:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Adjusting:
http://www.cabby-info.com/Files/AdjustingShiftLinkages.pdf
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sixfootdan
Samba Smartass

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 7:38 am    Post subject: Re: 5 speed conversion Reply with quote

Thanks for the info and help, My Manual showed up yesterday. Got it all adjusted and it works great. Cool

GO SEAHAWKS!!!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: