Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Looking at my Pict 34 carb and all of the vacuum hoses are cappe
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
chromecarz00
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 3:20 pm    Post subject: Looking at my Pict 34 carb and all of the vacuum hoses are cappe Reply with quote

I've got an electric ignition system and an aftermarket filter on top. I just want to make sure i'm not missing anything on the carb. It won't idle right and lurches a bit, so I'm going through piece by piece and seeing why.

Thanks!
Bama Dave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 3:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking at my Pict 34 carb and all of the vacuum hoses are cappe Reply with quote

Photos will help. Other engine specs will help.

1970 Beetle
1971 Super
1972 Baja

hellthorne wrote:
First off, I know i made stupid decisions that led to my predicament, so while you are welcome to tell me that I am an idiot for doing the things I did, please know that I am already aware of this.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 4:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking at my Pict 34 carb and all of the vacuum hoses are cappe Reply with quote

If you have a 34PICT-3 carb and all the vacuum ports are capped off, chances are that you have the 009 type centrifugal advance distributor.

This is a known poor performing combination.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 4:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking at my Pict 34 carb and all of the vacuum hoses are cappe Reply with quote

Current thread that may interest you https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683114&highlight=
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
chromecarz00
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 3:37 am    Post subject: Re: Looking at my Pict 34 carb and all of the vacuum hoses are cappe Reply with quote

1600 single port. Keep forgetting I don't have that in my signature.

How can I tell if it's a 009? Can't see any writing on it
Bama Dave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 3:52 am    Post subject: Re: Looking at my Pict 34 carb and all of the vacuum hoses are cappe Reply with quote

The serial number on it.

1970 Beetle
1971 Super
1972 Baja

hellthorne wrote:
First off, I know i made stupid decisions that led to my predicament, so while you are welcome to tell me that I am an idiot for doing the things I did, please know that I am already aware of this.
David_nc_72std
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 4:29 am    Post subject: Re: Looking at my Pict 34 carb and all of the vacuum hoses are cappe Reply with quote

If the distributor has no numbers anywhere on the body, and has no vacuum canister, its more than likely an 009 type.

How do you have the timing set? Generally with an 009 you set the timing at around 28-30 degrees at full advance, and the idle timing falls where it wants to. The quality of the distributors varies wildly, as does the amount of advance, so you really need to use a timing light and actually measure the idle timing to see if its anywhere near suitable.

Single port engine never came with 34 pict 3 carburetors, so it would help to know the specific carburetor you have. Is it a Solex or aftermarket version, and is there a number stamped onto the side of the mounting flange?
tasb
The Distributor Distributor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 9:40 am    Post subject: Re: Looking at my Pict 34 carb and all of the vacuum hoses are cappe Reply with quote

[quote="David_nc_72std"]If the distributor has no numbers anywhere on the body, and has no vacuum canister, its more than likely an 009 type[/quote]

I'll up that to "without a doubt". Adding that it is a Chinese clone.

1965 hardtop Deluxe Microbus owned since 1990 M 620 factory 12 v 1500cc

1961 (October)Single Cab- Road Trip Workhorse
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
chromecarz00
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking at my Pict 34 carb and all of the vacuum hoses are cappe Reply with quote

I'm not sure where the timing is set, I took it to a mechanic who put all these parts in when I got it and haven't touched it yet. However, I put some fresh fuel and got tighter caps for the vaccuum lines and everything is working much better now.

I'm going to futz with the timing though as I feel it may have gone off slightly. Any pointers?
David_nc_72std
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 4:03 am    Post subject: Re: Looking at my Pict 34 carb and all of the vacuum hoses are cappe Reply with quote

With an 009, set the timing at around 28-30 degrees at full advance, instead of at idle.

If you have a dual-port engine, check the left side casting where the intake splits, sometimes there is a vacuum port there, and if its plugged it might be leaking too.

Instead of the vacuum port plugs, I prefer actual vacuum line plugged on the end - a round-head screw with an unthreaded section, with the threads cut off, makes a nice plug, or solid aircraft-style rivets. Most vacuum plugs I've seen are rather thin material and don't seem to hold up well.
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 7:37 am    Post subject: Re: Looking at my Pict 34 carb and all of the vacuum hoses are cappe Reply with quote

The "vinyl" looking vac caps hold up way better than the rubber ones. I just got done doing a quick initial repair on a 73 standard thats in the shop right now. Car wouldn't idle for crap. 3 of the caps were all cracked and leaking. After replacing the caps, adjusting the choke and tuning the carb, it runs great. Still need to get out my crank pulley template and make marks on the pulley for 28 and 32 degrees so I can properly set the timing. It looks close (about 10 degrees at idle), but max advance setting is what it needs. If you dont have a degreed pulle, but have a mark for TDC, you can download and print the template that is on here somewere or go to the "hot spark" website and download it from there.
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tasb
The Distributor Distributor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 7:45 am    Post subject: Re: Looking at my Pict 34 carb and all of the vacuum hoses are cappe Reply with quote

Here:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/manuals/degree_wheel.php

1965 hardtop Deluxe Microbus owned since 1990 M 620 factory 12 v 1500cc

1961 (October)Single Cab- Road Trip Workhorse
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: