Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

RIMCO buys FAT Performance
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
rockerarm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 4:37 pm    Post subject: RIMCO buys FAT Performance Reply with quote

Hi all. Received my Rimco e-mail and looked at the new address and it's the FAT location. Evolution of our industry. I hadn't heard of this anywhere else here, so thought I'd make mention. What are your initial thoughts of this business move?
Bill.
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 5:58 pm    Post subject: Re: RIMCO BUYS FAT PERFORMANCE Reply with quote

Rimco bought fat, or fat bought rimco? Interesting either way. B&R moved into RPM Mufflers, times are changing.

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Randall
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 9:16 pm    Post subject: Re: RIMCO BUYS FAT PERFORMANCE Reply with quote

FAT explains it in the most recent post on April 13 at --
https://www.facebook.com/Fat-Performance-168686016481479/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 11:21 pm    Post subject: Re: RIMCO buys FAT Performance Reply with quote

Dang, I don't Facebook...care to paraphrase and relay?
surfbeetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 11:53 pm    Post subject: Re: RIMCO buys FAT Performance Reply with quote

Busstom wrote:
Dang, I don't Facebook...care to paraphrase and relay?

Taken from Facebook:
Fat Performance added 2 new photos.
April 13 at 10:47am ·
Fat Performance is pleased to announce that we are in escrow to sell to Rimco VW. They have hired an experienced VW engine builder, Roland Rascon, to work for a couple of months with Ron Fleming to gain even more experience from Ron's 50+ years of VW and Porsche high performance experience. Also, Ron and Greg will be available to consult and build some engines as needed on a part time basis.
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 12:10 am    Post subject: Re: RIMCO buys FAT Performance Reply with quote

Thanks surfbeetle. I was wondering when something like this would go down, they've been at it for decades.
jason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 11:52 am    Post subject: Re: RIMCO buys FAT Performance Reply with quote

What exactly did they buy?
pyrOman
Fire Master

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 7:04 am    Post subject: Re: RIMCO buys FAT Performance Reply with quote

So long as it isn't going to go the way of the mega corporations of buying out, liquidating and closing, ... Confused

It's all good! Cool
nsracing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 10:50 am    Post subject: Re: RIMCO buys FAT Performance Reply with quote

jason wrote:
What exactly did they buy?

People will sellout for the right price all the time. Nothing wrong w/ that.

I am sure they are all getting up in the age and got tired of turning wrench.

If it is equipment, California is crawling w/ machines. Buy all you want ---
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 9:04 am    Post subject: Re: RIMCO buys FAT Performance Reply with quote

Exactly my point. If they arent gonna build the motors theyre just a machine shop buying more equipment.
rockerarm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 12:58 pm    Post subject: Re: RIMCO buys FAT Performance Reply with quote

jason wrote:
Exactly my point. If they arent gonna build the motors theyre just a machine shop buying more equipment.

I'm not sure of what they (Rimco) got? Rimco's new address is at the FAT location. As I recall, FAT had a formidable service dept to service much of the stock/modified air cooled market (VW and Porsche).
FeelthySanchez
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:30 am    Post subject: Re: RIMCO buys FAT Performance Reply with quote

Don't really care what name is upon the building, I'm just glad to see the quality & experience stay local.
Enough clue..Whats that mean?
OldIronSpine wrote:
I'm not sure how compression works.
Turbos don't produce torque, they produce HP. Instead of torque.
The real problem with NA engines is you don't hear the nice whine of the turbo as it spools up.
Before I commit, I'm going to do more research because I don't really know what piston rings are.
rockerarm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 11:55 am    Post subject: Re: RIMCO buys FAT Performance Reply with quote

FeelthySanchez wrote:
Don't really care what name is upon the building, I'm just glad to see the quality & experience stay local.

Hi. I tend to agree. Those two names are a pair of the most infamous of shops in SoCal's air-cooled history. Let's all hope the quality & history springboards from here.
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:33 am    Post subject: Re: RIMCO buys FAT Performance Reply with quote

rimco will kill the name and quality just like my spellen. so sad. hopefuly it isant rimco bought fat ,but fat is taing some of rimco's$ and giving them a stall or 2 and fat should call the shots..still with that the quality of rimco, thier billing staff work staff, management, ownership and such is enough for me to never look into anything fat. hopefuly fat will realize this and go on a diet soon....and cut out the deadwood before it's too late. of coarse this is only my expearances with rimco that I have had...and it wasent the outer course....
G Herbeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 1:52 pm    Post subject: Re: RIMCO buys FAT Performance Reply with quote

Hello Everyone. I worked at Rimco for the last 9 years and was still there when Dennis bought Fat. Good LUCK to all involved. Most customers liked me and others you just can't please no matter what. I will miss all of you (You too Finn). By the way I didn't quit either! Oh well hope to say hi to all!

G Herbeck
Ex-counterman/ machinist @ RimcoVW
FeelthySanchez
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:04 am    Post subject: Re: RIMCO buys FAT Performance Reply with quote

G, Bienvenido a TheSamba!
Sounds like ya were there since approximately the Dyer Rd days.
OldIronSpine wrote:
The real problem with NA engines is you don't hear the nice whine of the turbo as it spools up.
Before I commit, I'm going to do more research because I don't really know what piston rings are.
G Herbeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 1:43 pm    Post subject: Re: RIMCO buys FAT Performance Reply with quote

Yup, was there right after he bought it from Jack Riddle. Worked with Todd till he couldn't deal with the change of ownership any longer. I was let go mid June this year (2017). No thanks for the years of service, the extra effort and such. Whatta guy!

Again miss all the customers good or bad, You guys were fun to work with.

Thanks again to all the peeps out there.

G Herbeck
FeelthySanchez
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:22 am    Post subject: Re: RIMCO buys FAT Performance Reply with quote

Alright, kool. Thanks.

Check PMs
OldIronSpine wrote:
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: