Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

67 bug will not start after towing 2500 miles
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
walterblair71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 12:46 pm    Post subject: 67 bug will not start after towing 2500 miles Reply with quote

towed my 67 bug from CA to OH, had dogs in car and sure they kicked into gear on the way, found alternator belt off ran just perfect before towing but will not start now, any ideas??
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 1:14 pm    Post subject: Re: 67 bug will not start after towing 2500 miles Reply with quote

Um does it turn over by hand?
What gear did the dogs snick the gear shift into?

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
walterblair71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 1:20 pm    Post subject: Re: 67 bug will not start after towing 2500 miles Reply with quote

turns over fine by starter, never tried by hand yet, not sure what gear
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 1:34 pm    Post subject: Re: 67 bug will not start after towing 2500 miles Reply with quote

Ok. So with that said. Does it make any kinda strange noises when cranking with the starter?

Usually when a car is towed in gear. Bad things happen. You might have dodged a bullet this time. But time will tell.

Does it have power to the #15 post(+) on the coil? If not look into that first.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
walterblair71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 1:43 pm    Post subject: Re: 67 bug will not start after towing 2500 miles Reply with quote

have not had time to look at it yet, busy with family after getting back to OH, and just looking to see if anybody here had the same thing, just tried starter fluid and cranking over but did not start, pretty limited on time, daughter has MS and X has leukemia and starting on chemo and son is handicapped, so trying to their house and things in order first, thats the way i roll
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 2:10 pm    Post subject: Re: 67 bug will not start after towing 2500 miles Reply with quote

Well, family first of course. Hobbies last. Take a deep breath and relax.

67's are the best year IMO. Most street folks have no idea what year car your driving and usually guess 68(in my case anyway).

When you get a chance. Post some pics of your new car and especially the engine compartment. Many times we can detect issues that you don't even know you have.

Is this your first ACVW?

walterblair71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 2:17 pm    Post subject: Re: 67 bug will not start after towing 2500 miles Reply with quote

had the car for over ten years, had 71 westy, also 86 gti and more that i do not remember, not a newbie, have pulled and worked on vw for years, nothing like this , sold vw bus parts for 20 years in CA, obtw forgot to mention another problem is the car is at my brothers about ten miles away so that makes it more of a pita, like i said just looking for directions if anybody ha had this problem before
vwjetboat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 2:28 pm    Post subject: Re: 67 bug will not start after towing 2500 miles Reply with quote

well.. I know what towing a ford truck behind a RV does in gear .. it sucked the plastic intake into the motor.. yes.. it SUCKED the intake into the motor..

Now on the vw.. i would say it did something internal as the motor was trying to pump air.. but could not.. as the butterfly was shut... that or it sucked all the gas it could through the carb and washed the cylinders down and you have no compression..
walterblair71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 2:51 pm    Post subject: Re: 67 bug will not start after towing 2500 miles Reply with quote

my guess would be the latter of the two, will look into it when time allows
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 3:13 pm    Post subject: Re: 67 bug will not start after towing 2500 miles Reply with quote

if it was put into backup gear and towed forward, or forward gear and towd backwards, engine wojld turn backwards, and oil pump would thus not be pumping oil into the bearings.

now if put into a low gear and towed fast, big damage could be done from over speed. seems to me if the alternator belt was in good shape and correctly adjusted, the only reason it would come off would be from over revs.

bad dog, bad bad dog.

good luck

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
vwjetboat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 3:19 pm    Post subject: Re: 67 bug will not start after towing 2500 miles Reply with quote

more of a chance it got knocked in 1st or 3rd.. 1st gear I would think the rods would be hanging out.. so musta got knocked in 3rd
walterblair71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 3:30 pm    Post subject: Re: 67 bug will not start after towing 2500 miles Reply with quote

would not even attempt to guess which gear, both dogs were large, pittbull and overweight lab and each an easy 50 pounds, the only thing different is no start and sounds different now when cranking, a more pronounced sound whereas before it was a little lower pitch i guess you could say, i am 60 and hearing is not all that good these days, but i do know it is not the same cranking sound as before
vwjetboat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 3:31 pm    Post subject: Re: 67 bug will not start after towing 2500 miles Reply with quote

walterblair71 wrote:
would not even attempt to guess which gear, both dogs were large, pittbull and overweight lab and each an easy 50 pounds, the only thing different is no start and sounds different now when cranking, a more pronounced sound whereas before it was a little lower pitch i guess you could say, i am 60 and hearing is not all that good these days, but i do know it is not the same cranking sound as before

sounds like it is spinning over much much faster?
lost compression
vwjetboat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 3:32 pm    Post subject: Re: 67 bug will not start after towing 2500 miles Reply with quote

pull dipstick wipe on white cloth and look for metal..
walterblair71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 3:43 pm    Post subject: Re: 67 bug will not start after towing 2500 miles Reply with quote

when time allows will drain oil and use magnet, that i would believe would be the best course of action, due for oil change anyways
Slow 1200
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 12:55 am    Post subject: Re: 67 bug will not start after towing 2500 miles Reply with quote

also take the valve covers off, hope you don't find a lot of carnage in there
sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:14 am    Post subject: Re: 67 bug will not start after towing 2500 miles Reply with quote

I think you will find it's new engine time.
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:34 am    Post subject: Re: 67 bug will not start after towing 2500 miles Reply with quote

sjbartnik wrote:
I think you will find it's new engine time.

Maybe he gets lucky and coincidentally the coil wire fell off..........but most likely there is major damage that an oil change will not cure.
Wayne S. Johnson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:02 am    Post subject: Re: 67 bug will not start after towing 2500 miles Reply with quote

Follow the standard troubleshooting procedure.

1. Does the starter crank the engine. Pass
2. Compression check.
3. Check if gas is in the carb, accelerator pump visual check.
4. Install new spark plugs, even good looking plugs can be bad.
5. Check spark at end of plug wire.
6. Static timing check.
7. Charge battery, even if it cranks OK the voltage can be loaded down reducing the coil output. Old/fouled plugs will make the problem worse.

BAD DOG
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 10:53 am    Post subject: Re: 67 bug will not start after towing 2500 miles Reply with quote

Thats why Mitt put the Mutt on top....

Idle speculation on the internet aside, run a compression test and assess the motor condition. Its not the first dog gear failure. Check the shift collar, and try some K-9 additive in your engine oil, if its available at your automotive local parts offerer, or ALPO
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: