Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

2017 Southwest Colorado off road adventure Aug 4-6
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Forum Index -> Shows/Events/Camping/Clubs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 5:36 pm    Post subject: Re: 2017 Southwest Colorado off road adventure Aug 4-6 Reply with quote

Phell, if the 9am start time is too early for you to make maybe you can take the highway around and meet us in Rico or maybe the Rd 38 turn off. Hoping to make Rico by 3 and Rd 38 by 4. Saturday's camp spot will be within an hour of turning onto Rd 38, so hopefully at a camp spot by 5.
’65 Deluxe Build
mtnbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 6:52 pm    Post subject: Re: 2017 Southwest Colorado off road adventure Aug 4-6 Reply with quote

John Jones ! that dude has the balls....

tighten your battery straps !
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 5:47 pm    Post subject: Re: 2017 Southwest Colorado off road adventure Aug 4-6 Reply with quote

Any news on the Rico Hot Springs?? I heard the property sold and it may no longer be open to the public. Hope that is not the case..its the BEST hot springs almost no one knows about
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 7:54 pm    Post subject: Re: 2017 Southwest Colorado off road adventure Aug 4-6 Reply with quote

Rico hot springs is not open to the public anymore. The friend I asked didn't know why but he did know it was closed. I do know that they are doing some mine clean up in the area so maybe that's it, but no definate answer.

Personally I think Sheep Springs on the banks of the Piedra River is a nicer free hot spring, but to each their own.
’65 Deluxe Build
big bus mike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 5:28 pm    Post subject: Re: 2017 Southwest Colorado off road adventure Aug 4-6 Reply with quote

Hey Richie, are we going to be camped anywhere close to fishable waters? Trying to decide whether or not to bring fishing gear.

Thanks
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 11:03 pm    Post subject: Re: 2017 Southwest Colorado off road adventure Aug 4-6 Reply with quote

BBM, we are going to be camped right on the shore of the West Fork of the Dolores River on Saturday. Hoping to reach camp 4ish on Saturday and head out around 10ish on Sunday. Leaves plenty of time for throwing the fly rod. Please be sure to have a Colorado fishing permit, hate to see anyone get hassled. I've been told Dunton stocks the river so they can hold fly fishing classes for the rich and famous....may make for some good dinner.
’65 Deluxe Build
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 6:24 am    Post subject: Re: 2017 Southwest Colorado off road adventure Aug 4-6 Reply with quote

Dunton stocks the river?? I believe it!!! I was around when it was possible to go there as a mere mortal. In fact I remember going to Telluride in the early 70's with my folks (in our "new" 64 Beetle) and seeing houses for sale on the east end for $500. Any my folks thought that was a ridiculous price! Should be a good weekend for mushroom hunting as well if the rains keep up. Grilled Bollet with fresh trout anyone?
big bus mike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:51 am    Post subject: Re: 2017 Southwest Colorado off road adventure Aug 4-6 Reply with quote

Everybody ready?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:39 pm    Post subject: Re: 2017 Southwest Colorado off road adventure Aug 4-6 Reply with quote

Somehow I lost the reply notifications. Hopefully this post restarts that.

Just thinking today: What are the food plans? Everybody on their own, or is there a pot-luck dinner or anything?

I'm still aiming to go! With the freshly-installed Grabbers AT2s, the Bus should be ready too! Camp preparations are looking pretty good, also, to allow me to take off beforehand.

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 3:04 pm    Post subject: Re: 2017 Southwest Colorado off road adventure Aug 4-6 Reply with quote

vwwestyman wrote:

Just thinking today: What are the food plans? Everybody on their own, or is there a pot-luck dinner or anything?

Everyone needs to be self sufficient. Bring everything you and your passengers will need for the 2 nights. Now if people want to share grills and food, cool, but he prepared.

You're also gonna need some warm clothes, rain clothes and summer clothes. We will be in the high country of Colorado and the weather can change in a heartbeat. The rain has been plentiful this summer and rest ashore if you don't bring rain clothes you'll be wet and cold.

I also recommend a good spare (full of air...), tow strap, tools and spare parts. If something happens and you don't have what you need to get going again I'm sure someone will. Isn't that right Manfred?

I'm currently on the beach on the right coast. But my bus is already packed with all my camping supplies, tools and parts (and my spare has air). See you guys there!
’65 Deluxe Build
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:03 am    Post subject: Re: 2017 Southwest Colorado off road adventure Aug 4-6 Reply with quote

That was soooooo embarrassing I would have been sunk w/o Bubba's extra grub screw. I keep one in my tool box now at all times. Anyway, yes..be prepared!
mtnbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:15 pm    Post subject: Re: 2017 Southwest Colorado off road adventure Aug 4-6 Reply with quote

^^^^^^hahahahha, funny shit (forgot about the shift linkage. but your help w my bus.....) ! We stick together and we have it made ! Don't worry, if you don't have it, one of us will !

Good times ahead..
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 5:08 am    Post subject: Re: 2017 Southwest Colorado off road adventure Aug 4-6 Reply with quote

Zang, I just looked at the maps to see how far I'd have to drive to meet up with you all! Its 12+ hours!

I'm still feeling pretty good about having stuff ready to go for the kid's camp at work the following weekend and being able to take off.

My tentative plan right now is to leave Manhattan early Wednesday morning Aug 2. I'll meet up with the Buskatier crew from Nebraska (Terry Wolfe has responded in this thread) where ever they are at that point--it'll be somewhere between the Sand Dunes and Durango.

Then we'll all meet up with you all on Friday I suppose.

Sunday after the adventure, I'll plan to make it to Colorado Springs where I have family and will crash for the night. (Subject to change depending on when we get done, I may stop somewhere between the stopping point and the Springs I suppose.) Then I'll get up Monday and blast back to Kansas, have Tuesday to double-check that all of the camp preparations are done, and head off to camp on Wednesday! Whew!

That's my plan/goal anyway. I'm really, really hoping it'll work out!

Maybe next year this trip and camp won't be so darn close to each other! Smile

BTW, the front page still says 10:00 start time. Might be a good idea to have a moderator edit that to reflect the new 9:00 departure.

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
camit34
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:38 pm    Post subject: Re: 2017 Southwest Colorado off road adventure Aug 4-6 Reply with quote

vwwestyman Our plan is to head down from the Denver area on Friday. Hoping to caravan with people from this area or meet up with some in the Springs. If your plans change to where you'll be in the Springs on Friday, it'd cool to meet up there and caravan the rest of the way.

If anyone is heading down from the Denver area on Friday and wants to caravan down, let me know and we'll figure out a time.

If anyone is in the Springs and wouldn't mind us meeting up with them for the drive down, we'd appreciate it.
1967 Freedom Camper (SOLD)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:17 pm    Post subject: Re: 2017 Southwest Colorado off road adventure Aug 4-6 Reply with quote

Yesterday Mtnbus and I went up FR578 to check out the condition of the road and to see if we'd all fit at the Friday night campsite. There seems to be plenty of room at the campsite and if we need more room there is an adjoining site we could use, if nobody is camping there already. Mtnbus said he'll go up the the site on Thursday and set up some tents to reserve the site, he lives close. I won't be able to get up to the site till Friday morning, I'll be marking the site with a cone and a flag.

It has been raining a lot here, more then usual. FR578 is in good shape but I heard from some friends that Bolam Pass was a real mess. They had no problem on dirt bikes but stated it's soupy and slippery. Mtnbus and I decided we would take FR578 to Hotel Draw, FR550. This road was in a lot better condition and more suitable for 20+ buses. So...I'm gonna make this slight alteration to our route. We'll take FR578 to FR550(Hotel Draw) to FR564 to FR435 (Roaring Forks). This route will put us out on Hwy 145 just south of Rico. Depending on the time and how everyone feels we can head north and check out Rico or we could head south of to CR38 and find a campsite. Either one is fine to me and we can make that decision on the fly. The rest of the route will remain the same.

Friday night campsite is still across from Sig Creek Campground
Saturday departure from camp is 9AM
Saturday's route: FR578 to FR550 to FR564 to FR435 to HWY 145 To CR38
Camping Saturday on CR38 on the West Fork of the Dolores River
Sunday's departure time 9am
Sundays route: CR38 up and over the Meadows and back to HWY 145 and possible Telluride bus bomb.

Bring bug spray and rain gear.

I posted 2 short videos we took while scooting the roads. I posted them to my thread in the Bay Forum, didn't want to spoil it for everyone. Here's the link if you'd like to get a sneak peak of the trip.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8508818&highlight=#8508818
’65 Deluxe Build

Last edited by richparker on Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:33 pm    Post subject: Re: 2017 Southwest Colorado off road adventure Aug 4-6 Reply with quote

The trip is 11 days out, here's the updated list.

richparker/Rich P & Family/'68 tin top westy
Manfred58SC/Manfred Bereuter/'69 Adventure Wagon
Mtnbus/Bubba & Hugo/'59 DD camper
cdollar/Chris Dollar/'57 westy
Bulli Klinik/Mike K/'68 Dormobile
busboyjake/Greg/'78 Westy
greenmtnjakes/Chad/'78 Westy
vwwestyman/Dave Cook/'78 TDI powered Westy
okartguy/'77 Westy
YellowCOwesty/Bill
MrGas/Vanagon
jamtonio/'71 9 seater
Buskatier + 4 Splits!!!
Eric M/'84 Country Conversions Vangon +2!!!
Big bus Mike
camit34 / '71 Westy w/a fresh 1914! / Aaron & Family
KCW Crew
Pheal/'75 Westy

Looking like a solid 23+ buses!!! If you are not on this list and plan on attending please quote the list and add your name. I do not want to leave any one behind. Big thanks to everyone, this will be our largest off road trip so far!

Rich P.
’65 Deluxe Build
big bus mike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:16 am    Post subject: Re: 2017 Southwest Colorado off road adventure Aug 4-6 Reply with quote

We're bringing a few folks. Haven't gotten solid numbers yet but somewhere between 2-10 buses.

Oh, and this will be a shakedown trip for our new-to-us 78 Westy that my wife and I are moving into and going on a massive road trip in.
mtnbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:18 am    Post subject: Re: 2017 Southwest Colorado off road adventure Aug 4-6 Reply with quote

Hell yea Mike !
Look forward to having a few beers with ya
KCW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 10:11 am    Post subject: Re: 2017 Southwest Colorado off road adventure Aug 4-6 Reply with quote

SOOOO looking forward to this... I need a break from sanding.. Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

Should be 4 busses from this direction.

Going to be an epic time. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 6:35 pm    Post subject: Re: 2017 Southwest Colorado off road adventure Aug 4-6 Reply with quote

richparker/Rich P & Family/'68 tin top westy
Manfred58SC/Manfred Bereuter/'69 Adventure Wagon
Mtnbus/Bubba & Hugo/'59 DD camper
cdollar/Chris Dollar/'57 westy
Bulli Klinik/Mike K/'68 Dormobile
busboyjake/Greg/'78 Westy
greenmtnjakes/Chad/'78 Westy
vwwestyman/Dave Cook/'78 TDI powered Westy
okartguy/'77 Westy
YellowCOwesty/Bill
MrGas/Vanagon
jamtonio/'71 9 seater
Buskatier + 4 Splits!!!
Eric M/'84 Country Conversions Vangon +2!!!
Big bus Mike & Poise
camit34 / '71 Westy w/a fresh 1914! / Aaron & Family
KCW + 3 / stoked to meet these guys!
Pheal/'75 Westy

That's a lot of buses!
’65 Deluxe Build
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Shows/Events/Camping/Clubs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 6 of 10

Jump to: