Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New to me 1965 Bug.. very good and of course has issues
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
cherylbug66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 5:25 am    Post subject: Re: New to me 1965 Bug.. very good and of course has issues Reply with quote

Sharp64 wrote:
cherylbug66 wrote:
Pruneman99 wrote:
Sharp64 wrote:
cherylbug66 wrote:
I just bought a 1966 6v and had the same issue. I just replaced the battery with a 6v Optima and after cleaning connections, checking ground, we found that the generator wasn't putting out the voltage that John Muir and his wise book indicated, so I am having it rebuilt. Unfortunately, that means taking the engine out to get the generator out to rebuild her. Sigh. Well, maybe they will find other things I have missed in the short time I have had her.

The other thing the garage found was that I needed a new intake manifold. I hope that will resolve the sluggishness I was having on acceleration. I love my girl!

Your car's interior is gorgeous! Good luck with her.

What was wrong with the intake manifold?

I don't think I've ever seen a bad intake manifold. Ever. It's a tube basically.. was it rusted out? I just cleaned up 2 sets of 50+ year old manifolds.. look like new.

I'm calling them today. They have had my car for a week and I have no idea what is going on with it. I am definitely looking for another classic car garage. This is nuts. I didn't think the intake was bad, but then again, I wasn't inspecting it either. I just knew my generator wasn't putting out the voltage that it should.

Exactly what Pruneman is saying. Maybe to not hijack this thread, you should start your own and ask some questions. It will be an enormous benefit to you to have at least some basic knowledge regarding your classic car to keep unscrupulous mechanics from demagnetizing your floormats or finding oil dripping from your shocks. At $100+ an hour such things can get pricey.

Thanks. I'm not a VW newbie. I've had 13 of them before this bug. It has just been 20 years...lol

I knew I couldn't rebuild a generator, so I took it to this place. I have only owned her for 3 weeks, so I hadn't gotten that close to look at the intake manifold. I'm just scratching the surface of getting her tuned back up. Thanks for the suggestion though!
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 5:39 am    Post subject: Re: New to me 1965 Bug.. very good and of course has issues Reply with quote

cherylbug66 wrote:

Thanks. I'm not a VW newbie. I've had 13 of them before this bug. It has just been 20 years...lol

I knew I couldn't rebuild a generator, so I took it to this place. I have only owned her for 3 weeks, so I hadn't gotten that close to look at the intake manifold. I'm just scratching the surface of getting her tuned back up. Thanks for the suggestion though!

Yeah, Ive heard the 13 vws with former boyfriend story from another post. Owning and having a clue about them are two different things. I'm simply trying to help in suggesting you learn a bit about the mechanical aspects. Pulling an engine and/or replacing a generator aren't really huge projects. Neither are basic maintenance items which if you are letting a mechanic do can be quite expensive. Obviously, I'm not the only one thinking it was strange that they had to replace the manifold.. Anyways good luck and Ill stop cluttering up the OPs thread.
“...some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.” - Michael Caine
jzjames
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 6:43 pm    Post subject: Re: New to me 1965 Bug.. very good and of course has issues Reply with quote

Q-Dog wrote:
In my experience, slow cranking when hot is usually a starter issue. Don't forget to check the starter bushing.

X2. This can be a symptom of a cheap replacement starter.
Top of the line Bosch may solve it.
Fozzy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:02 am    Post subject: Re: New to me 1965 Bug.. very good and of course has issues Reply with quote

jzjames wrote:
Q-Dog wrote:
In my experience, slow cranking when hot is usually a starter issue. Don't forget to check the starter bushing.

Top of the line Bosch may solve it.

its got a damn near new Bosch starter in it.. looks brand new anyway..

71 Tin Top Westy
Adopted Dec or so 2017
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rockerarm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:50 am    Post subject: Re: New to me 1965 Bug.. very good and of course has issues Reply with quote

jzjames wrote:
Q-Dog wrote:

This can be a true statement but always exceptions to the norm. I worked a fleet shop where many of the cars/trucks had side terminal batteries. I have seen many times where a too long bolt used here and crack the batt case and acid runs down the inside of the cable. Not immediately noticeable but in time corrodes this cable. New symptom was slow crank sometimes intermittently.
Multiple replacement starters. No fix. Ohm meter check batt cables, look good as you only need one strand to have continuity. Shop learned voltage drop test and saw 2+ volt drop on a 4ga battery cable! replace cables and magically fixed the problem.
Motor homes and hot rods with tubing headers would be a victim of the same slow crank hot til improvements were made.
Hope this helps, Bill.
SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:08 am    Post subject: Re: New to me 1965 Bug.. very good and of course has issues Reply with quote

FWIW Fozzy, the starter was replaced when I bought, thinking the guy said he purchased it from Autozone, Oreilys, something like that.

Oct. ’67 Double Cab (’68 Crew Cab)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44412.png]Click to view image[/URL]
March '69 Delivery (Panel Bus)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44414.png]Click to view image[/URL]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rockerarm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:18 am    Post subject: Re: New to me 1965 Bug.. very good and of course has issues Reply with quote

SamboSamba22 wrote:
FWIW Fozzy, the starter was replaced when I bought, thinking the guy said he purchased it from Autozone, Oreilys, something like that.

Regardless of where the starter was purchased from if a local independent electric shop with experience in the rebuilding of starters, generators, and alternators could check this out and give it good to go or no go.
Fozzy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 12:25 pm    Post subject: Re: New to me 1965 Bug.. very good and of course has issues Reply with quote

Not going to say yay or nay but to me this sure seems like a wiring issue.. someone threw a lot of components at this. I think the issue is between the components. But this remains a mystery until I get out into the heat and start eliminating problems. Something eventually has to give. I did buy some ten foot test leads.. Im very eager to get started.. but damn the heat makes this less that fun.

71 Tin Top Westy
Adopted Dec or so 2017
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rockerarm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 12:46 pm    Post subject: Re: New to me 1965 Bug.. very good and of course has issues Reply with quote

Hi. Hopefully you're correct here but working with a 50 year old car that could have some original components is a something to consider.
Remember, the positive batt cable circuit is very simple- batt to starter.
The neg batt cable circuit is nearly as simple. Starter to trans/mount ground to batt.
It is the starter solenoid circuit that we will see if it's the culprit. this circuit has many connections- battery-starter-volt reg-long wire-headlight switch-fuse box-ignition switch-2nd long wire-starter solenoid. If you find a voltage drop in this last circuit you can install your volt meter leads on the "-" to test the sub circuits and/or switches.

One last thing to ask, is the trans case and/or the starter painted where possibly the mounting surface could interfere with the return ground circuit? Just something to look at while there. Simple test is to hook up a batt jumper cable from starter housing/mounting stud back to batt negative terminal.
I'm pulling for you, brother.
Fozzy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 6:16 pm    Post subject: Re: New to me 1965 Bug.. very good and of course has issues Reply with quote

I appreciate the tips and help and will start fresh again sometime tomorrow. Today I went to the store and bought some connectors and such and crawled under the car to reinstall the remote starter button the exact same way it was in there before just with totally secure and clean connectors. I went to start it and... nothing. The green and red lights come on and dim as I attempt to start it, but nothing. So.. I'm at ground zero and will start all over again tomorrow. I cleaned up all my tools and put everything away and will start fresh at zero.. OH. Also the battery voltage was at 5.96 so I hooked it up to a charger to charge until I start farting around with it.

I would like to ask what you guys would do. Should I dump the remote starter and start testing voltage and connections with out it connected to the system? I know at this point the ignition switch does work as we tested the switch on Thursday. Hook all the wires up as originally done and go from there?

As for paint on the transaxle, there is nothing at the ground areas at all and there is a new ground strap added. The starter appears to be new Bosch. I almost took a picture but was under the car with no camera/phone.. but it looks new/fresh.

I'm frustrated.. but its a combo of the car, the heat and being fired from my job last thursday.. When it rains.. it pours.

71 Tin Top Westy
Adopted Dec or so 2017
Fozzy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 12:03 pm    Post subject: Re: New to me 1965 Bug.. very good and of course has issues Reply with quote

rockerarm wrote:

Hi. Get a decent DVOM and perform a 3 phase test on these 3 circuits:
1- Battery positive. DVOM positive on battery post (not terminal) and DVOM negative on starter post (not cable terminal). Disable ignition at coil so engine doesn't start. DVOM on dc volts. Crank over engine and document reading.

OK I applied the test leads as stated above. With the key on I got 01.5 on the DVOM (set to 6 volts) When I cranked the engine (which it was not doing at all the day before, It cranked and the DVOM read 95.5

2- Battery negative. DVOM positive on batt neg post (not cable end) and DVOM negative on the starter case (housing). Again crank engine and document reading.

Placed the leads and with key on I got 02.9.. Cranked the engine and I got 43.5 on the DVOM

3- Starter solenoid circuit. DVOM positive on batt positive post and DVOM negative on starter solenoid connection (the push-on wire at starter). Crank engine and document reading.
On test 1 and 2 you should be able to maintain industry standard of less than .2v drop on these two circuits.
On test 3 you will see that this is a unique circuit and with all the connections and wire lengths it will be difficult to obtain good results here without some due diligence (ie:work). Every connection or switch is allowed the .1v to .2v drop and I don't recall the allowable drop for the two long lengths of old wire here but you can easily do the math and see that with a 6v system and minimum voltage is approx. 4.8v there isn't much wiggle room.

I hooked the leads up and with the key on I got 6.4 on the DVOM, When I cranked the engine over I got 46.8

71 Tin Top Westy
Adopted Dec or so 2017

Last edited by Fozzy on Tue Jul 25, 2017 2:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Fozzy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 12:25 pm    Post subject: Re: New to me 1965 Bug.. very good and of course has issues Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

OK the GREEN wires are to the remote starter in the battery area. I tried to get a good shot of the starter it is indeed a BOSCH 6 volt and when it gets power it cranks great..

71 Tin Top Westy
Adopted Dec or so 2017
rockerarm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 4:36 pm    Post subject: Re: New to me 1965 Bug.. very good and of course has issues Reply with quote

Wow, those are some numbers. Please verify the test leads are in the correct holes in the DVOM and on the "Vdc" scale.
Bill
Fozzy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:46 pm    Post subject: Re: New to me 1965 Bug.. very good and of course has issues Reply with quote

rockerarm wrote:
Wow, those are some numbers. Please verify the test leads are in the correct holes in the DVOM and on the "Vdc" scale.
Bill

Let me go look at this damned thing.. I had the meter on 6 volt.. that may be the issue with it. I know that made no sense

71 Tin Top Westy
Adopted Dec or so 2017
Fozzy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 6:47 pm    Post subject: Re: New to me 1965 Bug.. very good and of course has issues Reply with quote

Fozzy wrote:
rockerarm wrote:

Hi. Get a decent DVOM and perform a 3 phase test on these 3 circuits:
1- Battery positive. DVOM positive on battery post (not terminal) and DVOM negative on starter post (not cable terminal). Disable ignition at coil so engine doesn't start. DVOM on dc volts. Crank over engine and document reading.

OK, Take TWO... I tried to test with the DVOM set up correct (VDC) I tried on the battery first. And VIOLA! I set up the leads and got 0.06 at the poles. Cranking I got 0.06 - 0.04

I applied the test leads as stated above. With the key on I got 0.00 on the DVOM When I cranked the engine and the DVOM read 0.00

2- Battery negative. DVOM positive on batt neg post (not cable end) and DVOM negative on the starter case (housing). Again crank engine and document reading.

Placed the leads and with key on I got 0.00.. Cranked the engine and I got 0.00 on the DVOM

3- Starter solenoid circuit. DVOM positive on batt positive post and DVOM negative on starter solenoid connection (the push-on wire at starter). Crank engine and document reading.
On test 1 and 2 you should be able to maintain industry standard of less than .2v drop on these two circuits.
On test 3 you will see that this is a unique circuit and with all the connections and wire lengths it will be difficult to obtain good results here without some due diligence (ie:work). Every connection or switch is allowed the .1v to .2v drop and I don't recall the allowable drop for the two long lengths of old wire here but you can easily do the math and see that with a 6v system and minimum voltage is approx. 4.8v there isn't much wiggle room.

I hooked the leads up and with the key on I got 0.06 on the DVOM, When I cranked the engine over I got 0.00

So its better.. but still a bit confusing. Why there is a reading between positive and negative at the battery and between the battery positive and the Solenoid is I have no idea.. I have watched the videos (in fact several videos) about voltage drop testing and it finally made some sense

71 Tin Top Westy
Adopted Dec or so 2017
rockerarm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:05 am    Post subject: Re: New to me 1965 Bug.. very good and of course has issues Reply with quote

Ok, your new results seem to show acceptable positive and negative battery cable circuits. Your starter solenoid circuit is with the "modified" push button switch, correct? If so, then reinstall wires so the actual ignition switch is flowing the current for the starter solenoid and see what voltage drop you get.

Electrical issues can be intermittent and not show up while testing for awhile. If this is the case here you may wish to delve into a wire terminal end cleaning procedure, which some folks here have talked about.

I probably couldn't correctly explain how the voltage drop works from a experts perspective but as I basically explain, the volt meter has the ability to measure the difference in voltage, no matter how small, do the math internally, and display the difference on the digital display.
Here are some links I have used to help myself:

http://www.fme-cat.com/Docs/1519.pdf

http://www.freeasestudyguides.com/voltage-drop-test.html

http://www.fluke.com/fluke/uses/comunidad/fluke-ne...sevoltdrop

Hope this helps my friend and stay hydrated.
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:33 am    Post subject: Re: New to me 1965 Bug.. very good and of course has issues Reply with quote

note all voltage drop tests must be made under load (ie while cranking the starter in this case).

also note that the shop that wnts to remove the motor for generator replacement probably has no idea what they are doing. the generator can be removed without pulling the engine.

also note a frequent failure in generator can be the brushes wearing out, simply easy five minute replacement job with generator in place. if the brushes are worn dwon to below their holder, they are too worn, they should stick up above their holders.

for drop test hook up volt meter positive to the solinoid terminal that has wire from the key switch on it, negative meter wire to the starter body, then have the key switch operated, turn or attempt to turn the starter. read the voltage at this point. if low voltage, repaet test, this time move the negative meter wire to the batter ground terminal and repeat test. if voltage increases a good deal, then you know your ground from battery to starter is bad. (ie the two ground straps on car)

if voltage from first test was low, and second test (negative meter on battery) was fine, then you need to find out where the loss is, it will be someplace along the path from starter, to the key switch, and back to battery positive. you can measure across the key switch while cranking. place one test lead from meter on the input positve wire to the key switch, place other lead of meter on output of key switch, the output that goes to the starter solinoid. turn the key to crank the starter, and note the voltage drop across the key switch. if excessive, they the key switch is at fault.

a cleaned up switch, a new switch or an additional starter relay will solve that problem. dont shy away from adding an auxilary starter relay, it can solve a lot of problems. even when the cars where new, folks added a starter relay, many of my old vws and even newer vws have had starter relays added. the relay also saves on wear and tear on the keyswitch.

good luck

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
rockerarm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:06 am    Post subject: Re: New to me 1965 Bug.. very good and of course has issues Reply with quote

bluebus86 wrote:
note all voltage drop tests must be made under load (ie while cranking the starter in this case).

for drop test hook up volt meter positive to the solinoid terminal that has wire from the key switch on it, negative meter wire to the starter body, then have the key switch operated, turn or attempt to turn the starter. read the voltage at this point. if low voltage, repaet test, this time move the negative meter wire to the batter ground terminal and repeat test. if voltage increases a good deal, then you know your ground from battery to starter is bad. (ie the two ground straps on car

This is not a correct voltage drop/loss test. You have to have the volt meter in a parallel circuit to be successful here. All your test did was verify a voltage reading to the solenoid. But since you didn't verify voltage at any point prior to the solenoid you cant verify if there was any drop, or loss, in this critical circuit.
You tests can be confusing and subsequently require more testing. Your test is looking at voltage to the solenoid AND possibly verifying a ground. So, with your test if the numbers (ie: voltage) is low, does one have a voltage to solenoid loss or a ground loss.
As I previously have shown every individual circuit is tested individually. Your test could be considered flawed as it is testing multiple circuits (positive to solenoid and ground) at the same time.
Your first statement is true and is the key to success here.
But thank you.
rockerarm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:44 am    Post subject: Re: New to me 1965 Bug.. very good and of course has issues Reply with quote

Hi. Let's test a component here that could likely be at fault, the ignition switch.

Old school testing with a volt meter would test as follows:
1- volt meter positive on term 30 (input wire). Volt meter negative on any ground source. Ok, we have 6.xxx volts here.
2- volt meter positive on term 50 (output wire). crank car over and verify voltage to be 5.xxx to 6.xxx.
The key thing here is you don't know how much voltage was lost here because the battery will loose some voltage for the starter motor AND maybe we lost some voltage thru the old ign switch. THIS TEST IS MEANINGLESS.

New school and the gold standard is as follows:
1- voltmeter positive to term 30
2- voltmeter negative to term 50
Crank engine over and verify the VOLTAGE DROP across the ignition switch. The standard is not greater than .1v across and switch.
This test is not dependent on what the battery dropped to for the starter motor AND if one has a decent ground connection for the voltmeter.

Lets fix some old cars today Very Happy
Fozzy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:21 pm    Post subject: Re: New to me 1965 Bug.. very good and of course has issues Reply with quote

rockerarm wrote:
Ok, your new results seem to show acceptable positive and negative battery cable circuits. Your starter solenoid circuit is with the "modified" push button switch, correct? If so, then reinstall wires so the actual ignition switch is flowing the current for the starter solenoid and see what voltage drop you.

Hope this helps my friend and stay hydrated.

Thanks mucho. I need to do this much earlier in day.. But that's next.. And maybe a ride around town for the hell of it... Heat index is "only" supposed to reach 108 or so today.. Rolling Eyes

71 Tin Top Westy
Adopted Dec or so 2017
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6

Jump to: