Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Occasional no crank, no click, no power at all
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
chromecarz00
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 4:23 am    Post subject: Occasional no crank, no click, no power at all Reply with quote

This happens once in awhile on my 71 Super. There's no click, no power to anything, but there's still 12.54 volts in the wires to the ignition switch and on the batteries and generator, and all hot fuses. Sign of an ignition switch going bad? If so, what's the right replacement? Mine has 5 large terminals and 2 small ones.

If I turn it off and come back to it a few minutes later, everything works fine.

Thanks
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 5:37 am    Post subject: Re: Occasional no crank, no click, no power at all Reply with quote

chromecarz00 wrote:
This happens once in awhile on my 71 Super. There's no click, no power to anything, but there's still 12.54 volts in the wires to the ignition switch and on the batteries and generator, and all hot fuses. Sign of an ignition switch going bad?

I also have a 1971 Super.

You're extremely fortunate: when it does nothing, that's the only time you have a chance of diagnosing and pinpointing the problem !!!

I'd also be interested in voltage across the battery terminals while you are trying to crank it and it won't spin the engine. I'm not so sure that this is not an instance of bad battery cables, wire connections, etc.

First of all, the ignition circuit is not fused from the factory. When not "doing anything", turn the ignition switch to the "run" position, then check for positive voltage getting to positive terminal #15 on the coil. If voltage is getting TO the ignition switch, and not to this terminal or the attachment terminal on the un-fused side of the fuse box, then bad electrical part of the ignition switch.

And check for positive voltage in the "start" position too; there's a connection under the rear seat by the battery if you don't want to crawl underneath to check the little wire on the starter for voltage while someone tries to crank.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
chromecarz00
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 6:23 am    Post subject: Re: Occasional no crank, no click, no power at all Reply with quote

Terminal voltage is 11, is definitely a good battery.

It's tough to check voltage at those times because it's sporadic. But what you're saying is to see if even though all the fuses have power, to see if the ignition coil has power or not?
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:00 am    Post subject: Re: Occasional no crank, no click, no power at all Reply with quote

Here's my suggestion for testing the things Cusser mentioned:
    First step, find the #50 starter solenoid wire below the rear seat. There is a junction there. Disconnect the two wires from the junction. Do not let them touch anything as they are NOT fused and WILL short out. After separating them, wrap them in a rag. Separating these wires disables the starter solenoid for testing. The junction is the heavy gauge red wire (grey sleeve) + red/black wires that come together at a junction in the center of this pic:
    Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

With your voltmeter, test the voltage at the end of the red/black wire in the pic. This wire comes from the ignition switch and should have battery voltage when you turn the ignition key to the START position. Test it 10x. What is the voltage reading you get?

With the #50 wire still disconnected, go around to the engine and disconnect the black #15 wire from the ignition coil #15 (+) terminal. Again, be careful as this wire is also NOT fused. Of all the black wires connected to the #15 terminal this will likely be the thickest and will be the only wire with 12v at the end when you remove it from the coil. It provides the power from the ignition switch to the ignition coil.
    Test the voltage at the end of this disconnected wire while the ignition key is in the RUN/ON position and in the START position. In BOTH positions the voltage should be close to battery voltage. Test it a few times and check if wiggling the ignition switch or holding the key in slightly different positions causes a disruption/change in the voltage. This could indicate bad contacts inside the ignition switch.

One more location to test is at the ignition switch itself. In '71 the wires were soldered to the bottom of the ignition switch. If you crawl under the steering column and look up under the ignition switch you should see a collection of wires soldered to the ignition switch. Here are some of the wire colors and their function:
    Red = #30, constant 12v from the battery
    Black = #15, switched 12v for the ignition system and other ignition switched devices. 12v while the ignition is in the RUN/ON position and the START position.
    Black/yellow = #X, accessory circuit has 12v while in the RUN/ON position but 0v while in the START position.
    Red/black = #50, starter solenoid circuit has 12v while the switch is in the START position.

When you finish testing don't forget to reconnect all the wires.
'67 Beetle #1 {project car that never made it to the road Sad }
'75 Beetle 1200LS (RHD Japan model) {junked due to frame rot}
'67 Beetle #2 {2019 project car - Wish me luck!}
dirtkeeper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:31 am    Post subject: Re: Occasional no crank, no click, no power at all Reply with quote

chromecarz00 wrote:
Terminal voltage is 11, is definitely a good battery.

11 volts?? Is definitely a bad battery
chromecarz00
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Occasional no crank, no click, no power at all Reply with quote

11 Volts while cranking.

Everything seemed fine, voltage wise. Today, I drove it briefly, parked it, went back to start it 2 minutes later and only got a click. Tried again a few minutes later, and it started up fine.

This is different from other times where voltages are fine and there's no clikc at all. thoughts?
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 11:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Occasional no crank, no click, no power at all Reply with quote

Sounds like a dirty connection. Clean your battery terminals. Check ground at tranny nose cone. Check for clean connection at starter stud and at 50 circuit to solenoid.

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
chromecarz00
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 11:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Occasional no crank, no click, no power at all Reply with quote

Dirty connection? Would that cause occasional lack of crank and click?
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:17 am    Post subject: Re: Occasional no crank, no click, no power at all Reply with quote

chromecarz00 wrote:
Dirty connection? Would that cause occasional lack of crank and click?

Dirty or burnt connection inside the ignition switch could cause your symptoms. The high level of current flowing thru the ignition switch will eventually create burnt spots on the internal contacts. When you turn the key you get more and more resistance. This results in inconsistent voltage reaching the starter solenoid; resulting in clicking.

Have you done the voltage tests?

When my ignition switch started to go bad the voltage reading on the #50 wire below the rear seat varied from 5v to 12v with the occasional 0v.
Disaster06
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 1:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Occasional no crank, no click, no power at all Reply with quote

I had an issue like this years ago on a newer car. I had a Scion that I messed around with the engine from time to time.

I guess I had a screw that held on the ground strap and I had a little corrosion on it. Most times the car would work, until it wouldn't and I would have to mess around with it, push start, etc.

When AAA would come out, battery was fine, we couldn't figure it out.

After cleaning the corrosion off the strap as well as the screw, never happened again.

I would definitely check your grounds
chromecarz00
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 1:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Occasional no crank, no click, no power at all Reply with quote

Just left town for a week, but grounds sounds like it could be the issue. I had an issue with my old Volvo in which the instrument cluster threw every single code possible, then on restart went back to normal.
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 1:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Occasional no crank, no click, no power at all Reply with quote

There are only two ground straps that the starter depend on:
    Battery negative (-) cable to chassis under the rear seat.

Transmission ground strap at the front end of the transmission. This grounds the engine and transmission to the rest of the car.

Both of these points must transfer the entire current load for the starter (100A+). If either cable is frayed or does not have a clean metal-to-metal contact it could cause problems.
chromecarz00
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 1:30 am    Post subject: Re: Occasional no crank, no click, no power at all Reply with quote

So I'm thinking that I may have a trans strap at all - can anyone confirm?

https://i.imgur.com/EIbSIRh.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/LIPO84S.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/P8BxYdc.jpg
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 6:56 am    Post subject: Re: Occasional no crank, no click, no power at all Reply with quote

chromecarz00 wrote:
So I'm thinking that I may have a trans strap at all - can anyone confirm?

I don't see a ground strap in any of those pics.

Some pics that will show you the transmission ground strap:
https://www.google.com/search?biw=1920&bih=926...esamba.com
joey1320
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:13 am    Post subject: Re: Occasional no crank, no click, no power at all Reply with quote

There definitely doesn't seem to be a ground strap in your car Confused
chromecarz00
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: Occasional no crank, no click, no power at all Reply with quote

That could explain it! Can I use one off the shelf or do I have to go with vw
joey1320
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:39 am    Post subject: Re: Occasional no crank, no click, no power at all Reply with quote

chromecarz00 wrote:
That could explain it! Can I use one off the shelf or do I have to go with vw

Anything from the auto parts store will work.
chromecarz00
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 1:22 am    Post subject: Re: Occasional no crank, no click, no power at all Reply with quote

Can it go to any bolt on the gearbox to the bolt on the engine mount?
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 4:43 am    Post subject: Re: Occasional no crank, no click, no power at all Reply with quote

Do it like this. You don't want itto hang too low. No reason to reinvent the wheel.

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
chromecarz00
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 4:47 am    Post subject: Re: Occasional no crank, no click, no power at all Reply with quote

Today, I got a situation where I got no click, no power to auxillaries, and regular voltage all around (12.4, including on the wires to the ignition switch).

I was positive the ignition switch had gone bad. Then a few minutes later, I came back and had power again, with a clicking at solenoid. Then I tried to manually jump turn over the solenoid, and it turned over. Then I went back to the ignition switch, and it started fine. Rolling Eyes

I will be mounting the grounding strap as shown above, but the fact that the auxillaries had no power leads me to believe a problem with ignition switch as well, no?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: