Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Wiring for Turn Signal Switch?
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
chromecarz00
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 5:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Wiring for Turn Signal Switch? Reply with quote

Hi, so as mentioned above I'm using aftermarket flashers with an aftermarket relay. I bought the one above (https://www.amazon.com/Heavy-Compatible-Electronic-Flasher-Signal/dp/B06XS8VX2W?tag=viglink129040-20) and using these (http://m.ebay.com/itm/6x2inch-Round-9-LED-Clear-Cover-Amber-Light-Flower-shape-Fender-Side-Marker-/371622745952?nav=BUYING_BEST_OFFERS).

With an LED turn signal does resistance matter?
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:04 am    Post subject: Re: Wiring for Turn Signal Switch? Reply with quote

LED bulbs typically have much lower resistance than incandescent bulbs. Also, LEDs only allow current to flow in one direction. This means the + and - connectors on the bulb must be strictly followed. Unlike incandescent bulbs which can usually be wired either way. The ground wires go to the - terminal on the LED lamp.

Please diagram or describe how you have everything wired on your bench.
Have you disconnected the dash indicator for testing as suggested?
'67 Beetle #1 {project car that never made it to the road Sad }
'75 Beetle 1200LS (RHD Japan model) {junked due to frame rot}
'67 Beetle #2 {2019 project car - Wish me luck!}
chromecarz00
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 1:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Wiring for Turn Signal Switch? Reply with quote

No dash indicator installed. I've got my battery positive -> flasher x, flasher l -> led positive, led negative -> battery negative. The LED turns on, but doesn't flash. I'm thinking it's the relay just being faulty?
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 2:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Wiring for Turn Signal Switch? Reply with quote

If you can, test with a regular 21W incandescent bulb. Or, wire multiple LEDs in parallel to increase the load and see if there is a difference.

The relay is rated for 20A which means it should actually be able to make your headlight flash (headlights are powered by 8A fuses). If you can't find a normal bulb, test it with a headlight.

Confirm the voltage at the X terminal is at least 11.0v as this appears to be the min voltage.
'67 Beetle #1 {project car that never made it to the road Sad }
'75 Beetle 1200LS (RHD Japan model) {junked due to frame rot}
'67 Beetle #2 {2019 project car - Wish me luck!}
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: