Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Stripped drain plug?
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
efnm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:34 pm    Post subject: Stripped drain plug? Reply with quote

Hi, new thing owner here and first time to VW's of any sort. I changed the oil today and babied the 10mm nuts when putting the sump plate back on. However, the drain plug seemed stripped and the bolt just spins once you give it some decent torque. Obviously there is now a small leak.

Sooo, I thought you could torque down the drain plugs fairly well, is that correct? I don't think I stripped it.

Next question, the drain plug bolt itself seems odd in that its head itself is smaller than the large copper washer that came with the Jbugs kit. I had to reuse the existing washer. Should I buy a different plug? Does anyone have a favorite source for oil plate and drain plug?

Thanks, Ephraim
mondshine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:56 am    Post subject: Re: Stripped drain plug? Reply with quote

First, if it is the threaded holes in your engine case that are stripped, consider using a "repair stud". They look like this:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Usually, they are available in 6mmx8mm size (sometimes, but rarely 6mmx7mm).
The stripped hole in the engine case would be re-tapped to accommodate the oversized thread.

The key to a leak-free sump plate is that the gasket surface of the sump plate needs to be flat.
Often, due to over tightening, the areas around the holes get distorted (cupped) preventing a good seal. They can be hammered flat with a little care.

One of the few aftermarket "billet" accessories of any use are those aluminum drain plates. They are thick enough to prevent this distortion, and remain flat. Mine is re-threaded 1/2" NPT for the drain plug.

These Fel-Pro "OS21625" gasket sets are the best I've ever used:

These high quality gaskets come with nice real copper washers, so there's no need to strongarm those M6 nuts.
Lots of places sell these; here's one:
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/fel-os21625?seid=srese1&gclid=CKyO4tDUgs0CFRIbgQodiBwKmA

Lastly, there are many methods and procedures for air cooled VW's that are completely different than on other cars. if you are new to air cooled VW's, a good workshop manual is a necessity. I suggest ISBN-13: 978-0837616230.

Or this:

http://www.thethingshop.com/COMPLETE-181-SERVICE-MANUAL/productinfo/181+SM/

Oh, and by the way, welcome to the Thingdom!

Good luck, Mondshine

Last edited by mondshine on Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:27 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
911pickup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:29 am    Post subject: Re: Stripped drain plug? Reply with quote

The big oil drain plug in the center of the plate should be torqued to 33 foot/pounds.
If the threads are stripped buy another quality drain plate.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:12 am    Post subject: Re: Stripped drain plug? Reply with quote

911pickup wrote:
The big oil drain plug in the center of the plate should be torqued to 33 foot/pounds.

The book says 23 ftlbs.

Best is to buy a plate with no drain plug. Then it can't leak at the drain plug.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
efnm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 11:23 am    Post subject: Re: Stripped drain plug? Reply with quote

Thanks a bunch, I just ordered the billet cover and my local OReillys had the good gaskets in stock.

Question on the Thing service manual from Thingshop - is the scan better quality that the from RoMDOC CD? The photos in that guy look like bad photocopies from 80s! The diagrams and text read fine, though, but I'd buy the paper manual if the pictures are better (as in usable).
911pickup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 2:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Stripped drain plug? Reply with quote

Bruce wrote:
911pickup wrote:

The book says 23 ftlbs.

Best is to buy a plate with no drain plug. Then it can't leak at the drain plug.

You're right. I will teach me to trust an internet link to Hot VW. Very Happy

https://hotvws.com/content.php?contentID=62
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: