Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1968 Deluxe Build
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 15, 16, 17  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 11:23 am    Post subject: Re: 1968 Deluxe Build Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
So.. are you going to make pedal extensions or just have a really thin seat bottom?

No need if he's my height, his knees just wont hit the turn signal anymore =)
Other cars: 2003 F150, 2003 Jetta GLI vr6-6sp

Sambastic: adj; the quality of being nit picky, elitist, expecting everyone to do things the way they believe is best with no regard to situation, "sambastic"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Trashman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 12:57 pm    Post subject: Re: 1968 Deluxe Build Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
So.. are you going to make pedal extensions or just have a really thin seat bottom?

My legs are long enough to fully press in all the pedals easily with the stock seat on there. Although, I might make the seat bottoms about an inch shorter eventually. But for now the stock seats definitely work, and I'd also like to keep as much of the spring in the seat for comfort instead of going all foam seat bottom.
69Weekender
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:00 pm    Post subject: Re: 1968 Deluxe Build Reply with quote

This is more likely then not a noob question, but how do you sit in the bus? I'm 6'1 and have to hunch a little bit to not hit the ceiling.

Super clean build, I've been following this since the beginning! Keep it up
2015 Toyota Tacoma V6 4x4
Past:
01 Honda Insight, 06 Beetle TDI, 77 Toyota, 96 Geo Metro, 06 Tacoma, 13 Jetta Wagon, 05 Jetta, 96 Corrado VR6
Other ICE Machinery: Alco 251F 16v & 8v
Pinetops
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:34 pm    Post subject: Re: 1968 Deluxe Build Reply with quote

69Weekender wrote:
This is more likely then not a noob question, but how do you sit in the bus? I'm 6'1 and have to hunch a little bit to not hit the ceiling.

Super clean build, I've been following this since the beginning! Keep it up

Sit in a split and you will feel like you have tons of room in your bay.

You can hunch, lean back or lower the seat, whatever works best for you.
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:06 pm    Post subject: Re: 1968 Deluxe Build Reply with quote

I'm 6' and either work the lean back or the leaning forward on the wheel stance.
’65 Deluxe Build
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:20 pm    Post subject: Re: 1968 Deluxe Build Reply with quote

I'm 6' also, but must have 5' long legs, because I sit in mine with several inches above my head. And I even put in Vanagon seats ( Anxious ) which raises it a couple inches.
Do you guys have original seats?

"I must say, how can you be in a bad mood driving this vehicle full of vibrant color.
Cars of today are so bland in comparison. It's like driving a celebration!"
---WildIdea

Bus ownership via emoticons:
Very Happy Shocked Mad Sad Embarassed d'oh! Pray Brick wall Pray Dancing Dancing Dancing ---williamM
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:49 pm    Post subject: Re: 1968 Deluxe Build Reply with quote

^really depends on how big you hair is at the time.
’65 Deluxe Build
Trashman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 10:52 pm    Post subject: Re: 1968 Deluxe Build Reply with quote

After driving around with the tubs for a couple of weeks now I have fully gotten used to driving sitting a bit higher up. I hunched over the wheel before the tubs and am hunching over just a bit more now (this will go back to how it was before when the steering box gets raised). Although a prefer to hunch, I can still lean back if I wanted to and my head does not hit the roof. It might git the headliner if I had one Laughing The toughest thing to get used to was reaching a little further to throw 1st and 3rd into gear. But now, everything feels the same only with an even more commanding view of the road than before.
Trashman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 10:53 pm    Post subject: Re: 1968 Deluxe Build Reply with quote

btw hunching over the wheel is cooler if you didn't know Wink
Pinetops
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 3:57 am    Post subject: Re: 1968 Deluxe Build Reply with quote

KentPS wrote:
I'm 6' also, but must have 5' long legs, because I sit in mine with several inches above my head. And I even put in Vanagon seats ( Anxious ) which raises it a couple inches.

For most people I think the issue is more about visibility out of the front windshield than it is about headroom but I could be wrong.
Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:57 am    Post subject: Re: 1968 Deluxe Build Reply with quote

KentPS wrote:

I'm with you. Im 6'2" and I have no problems with my head hitting, must just be long legs. I do have issues with my legs wanting to hit the turn signal and nearly the steering wheel. I also have no head liner though, so that may be part of it, but I don't remember hitting the head liner when I did have one.

Sambastic: adj; the quality of being nit picky, elitist, expecting everyone to do things the way they believe is best with no regard to situation, "sambastic"
Trashman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 1:44 pm    Post subject: Re: 1968 Deluxe Build Reply with quote

Long needed fix went down today. A lot of you guys know, especially you 68 owners, that the upper brake fluid reservoir on a 68 is a one year only part. And if you know that, you might also know that this part isn't reproduced, until just recently. Cip1 sells a replacement 68 only brake fluid reservoir and I finally ordered one this past week and got it on today. Here are some pics of my old one compared to the new one. As you can see, my old one is all cracked and has a huge hole in it. Safe to say it wasn't holding any fluid and there isn't any amount of jb weld that could have change that. The new one looked great upon initial inspection, but when I went to go switch the old one out for it it wouldn't fit over the metal tube. I noticed that the opening wasn't round like the original, so I did a little bit of trimming to fix that and it slid right on and the old threads on the locking collar matched up with the new ones on the reservoir no problem. Happy camper with this one!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

You can see how the opening isn't round here.

And now it is.

Trashman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:34 pm    Post subject: Re: 1968 Deluxe Build Reply with quote

Finally got sick of that knock off 34 pict that came with the bus and decided to make a bigger move than going with a solex. I went the dual idf route. All kinds of new things here; dual spanish weber 40 idf's, csp bellcrank linkage, cb performance manifolds, carter electric fuel pump (wired in with a relay), cb fuel pump block off, 36 horse style doghouse fan shroud, hand spun aluminum velocity stacks, and a whole bunch of other odds and ends. All the tins that weren't replaced, along with the new ones were given a fresh coat of black semi-gloss engine enamel. Topped everything off with an oil change and popped it in. HOLY SHIT WHAT A DIFFERENCE. It reminds me of driving my old mk2 with the dual solex c40 addhe carbs. This thing has throttle response for days now and is so much fun to romp on.

I made this stand out of a couple of 2x4's and damn does it make working on an engine easy, and for just a few bucks.

In progress, late night shot.

All done and ready to come off the stand.

She's in.

Close up shot for the centerfold.

metz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 12:24 am    Post subject: Re: 1968 Deluxe Build Reply with quote

Man, super nice work! Very clean with the satin black tin.
Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:11 am    Post subject: Re: 1968 Deluxe Build Reply with quote

Looking sweet. I love the look of the coil in the back, it makes it really clean. Get rid of that pee shooter exhaust though. It doesn't pull exhaust fumes away from the bus properly and it likely doesn't flow enough for those 40's. Which would cause a hotter running engine.

Pinetops
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:04 am    Post subject: Re: 1968 Deluxe Build Reply with quote

Nice
Trashman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:59 am    Post subject: Re: 1968 Deluxe Build Reply with quote

Spike0180 wrote:
Looking sweet. I love the look of the coil in the back, it makes it really clean. Get rid of that pee shooter exhaust though. It doesn't pull exhaust fumes away from the bus properly and it likely doesn't flow enough for those 40's. Which would cause a hotter running engine.

Yeah thats one of the next things on the list. But since I'm doing a engine and trans raise the exhaust is going to have to be custom so I'm waiting to see how much room I have. I'm thinking about having the new one dump out on the drivers side somewhere between the tire and the bumper tucked up pretty high.
khalimadeath
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:43 am    Post subject: Re: 1968 Deluxe Build Reply with quote

I've been mia for a while, good to see your still working on this thing. Looks great man!

1970 Bus Westfalia
1964 Kombi
Trashman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:54 am    Post subject: Re: 1968 Deluxe Build Reply with quote

Thanks! Yeah slowly but surely plugging away on things. I planned to do a 2" beam raise last week and started working on it but decided I would have to do too much modification of other things to make it worth 2". Instead I'm going to wait to do a full 7" raise so I can crank my beam up to get some suspension travel back. Should also allow me to put it fully on the ground if I ever decide to bag it.
Trashman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:29 pm    Post subject: Re: 1968 Deluxe Build Reply with quote

Tubs are finally blue!

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 15, 16, 17  Next
Jump to:
Page 9 of 17

Jump to: