Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Using the oil pressure relief for???
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Plumb1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 6:01 pm    Post subject: Using the oil pressure relief for??? Reply with quote

Can the oil pressure relief on the drivers side of the block be used to install the temp probe for a Bosch oil/water temperature gauge?

Thanks..
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Using the oil pressure relief for??? Reply with quote

Hey!

What is your case number?

Why not use the original oil pressure location? You can install a T fitting there for additional accessories.

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
Plumb1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 2:50 am    Post subject: Re: Using the oil pressure relief for??? Reply with quote

Because there is already a tee there for the original sending unit and a bosch oil pressure gauge.

With the after market ignition and engine tin, the amount of room doesn't allow for that many brass fittings.

Will have to check on the case number.
David_nc_72std
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 3:33 am    Post subject: Re: Using the oil pressure relief for??? Reply with quote

Plumb1 wrote:
Can the oil pressure relief on the drivers side of the block be used to install the temp probe for a Bosch oil/water temperature gauge?

Not sure about Bosch, but VDO makes a sender for that location. The thread size is M18 x 1.5. You may have to use an adapter for the Bosch sender. Some people don't like this location because there isn't full oil flow at that point, just what flows past the valve plunger.

http://vwparts.aircooled.net/VDO-300F-Oil-Temp-Sending-Unit-18-X-1-5mm-p/v323064.htm

Quote:
Why not use the original oil pressure location? You can install a T fitting there for additional accessories.

The original pressure sender location is a fairly poor location for the temperature sender, especially with a T-fitting, because then you have practically no oil flow at the sender.

The other common location for a temperature sender is the oil drain plate, if you have the oil drain bolt in the center, thread size is M14 x 1.5. Best location, if you have an external oil filter, is somewhere in the oil line or oil filter bracket.
Plumb1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 2:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Using the oil pressure relief for??? Reply with quote

Good advice David.

I had actually thought of utilizing that drain plug, only for the fact I would be afraid of running something over and the thermometer getting broken off.

But that be where she ends up
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Using the oil pressure relief for??? Reply with quote

This is not the best pic, but it was all I could find to illustrate possible spots for an oil temp sensor:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

If you have a "universal case" you may have the T3 oil dip stick hole located at the red arrow. For Beetles, there will be a block off plate here. Drill and tap a hole and mount your temp sensor. This will represent the oil temp of the oil in the crank case. One thing to consider... the oil level in the crank case of a running acvw engine is almost zero. Ther is already so little oil in the engine, most of it is in motion while the engine is running at anything above idle. You want to mount your sensor as low as possible.
Even if you don't have a pre-drilled hole here you can drill and tap directly into the case if needed. Just make sure there isn't any interference with the engine tin.

An alternate (and possibly better) spot would be the round oil galley plug just to the left of the block off plate area. This is part of the oil galley and is the INLET to the oil pump. This guarantees you will have a flow of oil past the sensor. Again make sure you don't have clearance issues w/ engine tin in this location.

Personally, I don't like the idea of the oil drain plate sensor only because it is at the lowest point of the engine and reduces the ground clearance. But considering adding a deep sump would probably end up with even less ground clearance it is probably okay. It is other wise a very good spot because all the returning oil pools at the sump plate so you get the temp of the oil just as it has returned from around the engine.
'67 Beetle #1 {project car that never made it to the road Sad }
'75 Beetle 1200LS (RHD Japan model) {junked due to frame rot}
'67 Beetle #2 {2019 project car - Wish me luck!}
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:25 am    Post subject: Re: Using the oil pressure relief for??? Reply with quote

ashman40 wrote:
Personally, I don't like the idea of the oil drain plate sensor only because it is at the lowest point of the engine and reduces the ground clearance.

Yes, I did break off the Motometer temperature drain plug sender unit I had there, just knocked the end off, no oil leaked out. I ended up buying a VDO temperature sender to replace it, so no guarantee that my Motometer gauge still reads correct "number", but I only use that to check for differences/changes.

That broken Motometer sending unit? Being like many here who never throw anything away, that is now the drain plug for the rebuilt 1600cc engine in my 1970 !!! So it's back in the vehicle that I used with it in the 1970s !!!
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Plumb1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Using the oil pressure relief for??? Reply with quote

Wow Ashman.

That is an awesome reply. Thanks for putting in the effort and energy to do that.

Pretty sure I can figure something out from that for sure.

Again, thanks.
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Using the oil pressure relief for??? Reply with quote

Maybe the sender needs a prophylactic to keep it safe.
5% Off your order with coupon code: 5%OFF
Restored Distributors Available (<--Click here)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Plumb1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 8:17 am    Post subject: Re: Using the oil pressure relief for??? Reply with quote

Have been super busy with work all week. This morning was the first opportunity I have had to even go in the shop.

The number stamped on the block is: AK170736
VW identified as 1973, US model.

Another website offers that the case is aftermarket. Not sure how that is possible. It is a 44 year old car, so anything is possible.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: