Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

I don't even know where to start anymore
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ach60 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 5:03 pm    Post subject: Re: I don't even know where to start anymore Reply with quote

Welcome to the "I'd like to push my '78 Convertible off a cliff Club"
I can't tell you how many times in the 20 years I've owned mine, it has defied being fixed.
Take a little time off & when the weather cools take another look at it.
Get you some DEVES Piston Rings, 85.5mm Bore, but be sure to get the correct thickness rings, so measure the ones you got first.
Also while you got the legal smog cert apply for historical plates.
I hear if you have historical plates you don't have to get smog anymore.
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KKiley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:19 pm    Post subject: Re: I don't even know where to start anymore Reply with quote

I get it about buying the wrong parts. I have also thrown away brand new parts that were junk and not worth returning.

I just look at it that if I don't fix it 2 or 3 times something is not right. I am just looking to get it running for more than a few days so I can get the bodywork done, get a new top installed. Once that is done, it runs and looks good, this car is gone. 1 1/2 years later, it's time to admit that this car and I are not a good fit. For being a simple car, it is truly the most frustrating vehicle I have ever messed with.

Kevin

Click to view image
KKiley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:20 pm    Post subject: Re: I don't even know where to start anymore Reply with quote

Ok, back from vacation, time to get this car running again. I actually have a registration and title on the way for this car. That only took 1 1/2 years.

It will start, but not keep running under 2,500 rpm. I did pull the injectors and powered up the fuel pump and verified the injectors are not leaking.The fuel pump just doesn't sound right to me, so I am going to get a fuel pressure gauge tomorrow and see what is going on.

Before this happened, the plugs looked fine. How long would it take to get them to look like they did when I pulled them?

Any other suggestions would be appreciated. I am done ranting and will fix my issues. I am going to re-ring the pistons one more time. I should have just measured everything and re-ringed it in the 1st place, if the pistons and cylinders were in spec. But I thought I'd just replace and move on.

Thanks
Kevin

Click to view image
KKiley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 3:10 pm    Post subject: Re: I don't even know where to start anymore Reply with quote

Here is what I have done today:

Fuel pressure checked: 28-30 psi while running. Holding pressure for at least 30 minutes

New plugs. Set points. It would start when giving it throttle and run at higher rpm's, then it would act like it has a major vacuum leak and want to die below 2,000 rpm.

Then the high speed idle issue returned. It was running at at least 3,500 rpm on its own, I was playing with the throttle cable and verified it was completely returned. It was screaming in the garage, then it started pouring out smoke again. I had to shut it down before it blew itself up.

I don't know if it's because the dual relay is bypassed and feeding the ecu directly, but that shouldn't do it.

It acts like the biggest vacuum leak ever when it's not running 3,500 rpm. But I have checked, sprayed every seal on it. I have no broken lines that I can find.

I am at a loss as to what to try next.

Kevin

Click to view image
KKiley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 3:19 pm    Post subject: Re: I don't even know where to start anymore Reply with quote

One thing I know, these rings are junk and the engine will need to come back out and have those replaced.

At this point, the car is undrivable. I hate to bail on the fuel injection, but I don't know where else to look. I just can't figure out what would cause it to idle at 3,500 rpm on its own with no throttle hooked up. For some reason the FI is just pouring gas into the engine while it's running. It bogs horribly, then decides to run WFO.

And to think, it was actually a decent running car at one point in time...

Kevin

Click to view image

Last edited by KKiley on Fri Jul 21, 2017 3:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 3:23 pm    Post subject: Re: I don't even know where to start anymore Reply with quote

Is the Auxiliary Air Valve stuck open?

Easy check is to remove both hoses and look inside. Cold it should be open. Hot it should be closed.

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 4:03 pm    Post subject: Re: I don't even know where to start anymore Reply with quote

KKiley wrote:
Then the high speed idle issue returned. It was running at at least 3,500 rpm on its own, I was playing with the throttle cable and verified it was completely returned. It was screaming in the garage, then it started pouring out smoke again. I had to shut it down before it blew itself up.

I wonder what would happen if the nut down inside the plenum that holds it to the case came off and it somehow started leaking?, a large vacuum leak pulling from the crankcase? where there's splashed oil too?, hmmm...

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
KKiley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 6:20 pm    Post subject: Re: I don't even know where to start anymore Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
I wonder what would happen if the nut down inside the plenum that holds it to the case came off and it somehow started leaking?, a large vacuum leak pulling from the crankcase? where there's splashed oil too?, hmmm...

Actually, that is what happened when Robbie was here. When I pulled the engine out to replace the pistons and rings, I found the nut inside the head. It was quite rounded off, lol. But it ran ok, but did have a leak. When I put it back together, I put blue locktite on that nut.

And the AAR is stuck open. I took it off and hit it with some carb cleaner and got it moving freely and put it back on.

At this point that really isn't the main issue, as I just started it and it is blowing blue smoke to fog the whole neighborhood. If we had mosquito's, they would all be dead now. Hopefully the vacuum issue will be found with the engine out again.

I do appreciate all the help and I do look forward to the car at least running again.
Kevin

Click to view image
KKiley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 7:00 pm    Post subject: Re: I don't even know where to start anymore Reply with quote

And I am so bummed to see that Grant rings are $23.75 a set. All this could have been avoided for such little money. But the links that I saw warning about the AA rings were from about 3 years ago, so I was hoping they had addressed that issue.
Guess not...

Kevin

Click to view image
KKiley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:19 pm    Post subject: Re: I don't even know where to start anymore Reply with quote

Well, time to pull the engine again and fix any issues I can find. I have been trading emails with Jonathon at AA Performance about the ring issue. I have tried to be nice, haven't ripped him a new one, and communication has stopped. The funny thing is they haven't even offered to sell me another set of rings, let alone offer a discount. Time to order up the Grant rings, just not from them.

I am over being mad at the car, lol. time to move on and fix this issue. I just hope the rings are the issue why it will not run under 2,500 rpm.

The good news is, since I quit smoking, my son ordered me the replacement ash tray/ cup holder. Since I have blue tooth in the car, the stereo is the best feature at this point, lol.

Kevin

Click to view image
KKiley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:41 pm    Post subject: Re: I don't even know where to start anymore Reply with quote

And I think the AAR valve is part of the issue. It is open and I need to figure out how to adjust it. The nut allows it to moved back and forth, determining how much it opens.

Kevin

Click to view image
ROCKOROD71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 5:47 am    Post subject: Re: I don't even know where to start anymore Reply with quote

Do you have these FI manuals?
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/manuals/afc_f...r_1974.pdf

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/manuals/afc_f...Manual.pdf

I should be one to talk because I have my own FI issues on my bus that I am terrified to tear into, but i have these printed out in a 3 ring binder and have read through them for the most part.
The multi-meter will be the tool of choice for testing and troubleshooting.
The FI on these old VWs is dead simple compared to modern ones but that makes it no less daunting. There are simply many more points of failure than a carb engine, the parts aren't readily available and rebuilding or jury-rigging stuff just isn't possible for the shade tree mechanic.
I don't think re-ringing is going to solve your idle issue, but it will solve the smoke issue hopefully.
The FI is going to need careful attention. The AFM could be stuck or sticking, as well as the throttle plate in the throttle body. I have a spare for my bus that is completely frozen. You can open up and adjust the AFM, there is a good thread in the baywindow forum on it.
We're pulling for you man....

30 years from now, the next guy may not want your girlfriend, but he may want your classic car, depending on how nice you were to it.

asiab3 wrote:

Careful guys, a petulant child can grow up to be president these days.

**winter drivers: no survivors!**rust warrior**#keepbodyshopsbusy**
KKiley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 3:22 pm    Post subject: Re: I don't even know where to start anymore Reply with quote

Thanks Rock. Those links are great and I am going to make a manual for them.

Started the engine pull today. Called Bill and Steve's parts. Grant rings. $20 in stock. Will make a trip tomorrow and pick them up.

Kevin

Click to view image
KKiley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 7:39 pm    Post subject: Re: I don't even know where to start anymore Reply with quote

Well, Busdaddy is the winner of What's wrong with Kevin's car now, lol. Removed the engine today and found issue #1: Nut was missing from the alternator wire, I am guessing that might have an impact on the Alt light coming on.

Here is issue #2:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Budaddy, the nut did not come off in the intake. I locktited the nut on, so the whole stud came out this time. Every bolt on the intake was loose, and that oil deflector was leaking oil down the case. Also a major vacuum leak, for sure.

Picking up new rings tomorrow and some other bolts and seals. The car may not be terminal after all Embarassed

We will get it buttoned back up and they address the dual relay/ electrical issue next Blue Locktite all around on this build, lol.

Kevin

Click to view image
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:14 pm    Post subject: Re: I don't even know where to start anymore Reply with quote

Shocked Damn, that was a wild assed guess Shocked, although it was the most logical explanation for the combined symptom Very Happy

Your rings may be fine afterall, it's your call if you want to reattach the manifold and try it, or swap the rings just because you are 3/4 of the way there now and the ones in it are known to be an issue.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here

Слава Україні!
KKiley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:30 pm    Post subject: Re: I don't even know where to start anymore Reply with quote

No way I am going with these rings. I don't like the compression readings I am seeing and for $20, I'd rather use known good ones.

I need to confirm the direction of that oil sling under the intake and make sure it is going in the right direction.

Also found that the main seal on the transmission is leaking, that is where the major oil leak was coming from. Will address that tomorrow too.

Kevin

Click to view image
KKiley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 3:39 pm    Post subject: Re: I don't even know where to start anymore Reply with quote

Well, just to update everyone, we have a running vehicle again! The intake not staying tight was causing so many issues. I red loctited the studs into the block for the intake. Then I bought all lock nuts for the nuts on the intake and the studs.

VW_Jimbo was very nice and helped me thru the build. I texted him like crazy during the assembly and then he came over yesterday for the final prep and we started the car! It smoked initially, but cleared up nicely. Jim thought the pulses felt good and the engine is hitting nicely on all 4 cylinders.

Found the issue with the alternator light, the nut was missing on the wire to it and it was loose. Now my newest issue is the parking light come on when the ignition is on. And it not the switch in the wrong position. It could be the switch though.

Going to address the dual relay next. Figure out why they are blowing.

Thanks for putting up with all my rants. Much better now.

Kevin

Click to view image
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 3:56 pm    Post subject: Re: I don't even know where to start anymore Reply with quote

Hey Kevin! It was awesome lending a hand to the cause! I enjoyed getting that Bug going with you, but you did all the work. I was just there for the fun part!

I saw you posted up that molded air hose up in the injected thread. Nice job, that is going to help someone out down the road!

Also, thought of one more item that I saw while helping you out. It was not of concern at the time, as we only wanted to see if the car would run, but since it is running. You need to get that engine compartment seal installed. Do not drive too long without it, you will negate all of your hard work.

I will try and get back out to you to help with the lights and the dual relay, soon, if I can work it out regarding my work schedule.

See you for beers on one of these Fridays. The Coconut beer is on me!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 5:26 pm    Post subject: Re: I don't even know where to start anymore Reply with quote

Yay Kevin!, third time's a charm Wink
And props to Jimbo for the hand holding/assist, sounds like Kevin's finally going to get some miles on that beast from the drivers seat, instead of just bent over the back end. Good news!

Слава Україні!
BIGMIKEY
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 6:39 pm    Post subject: Re: I don't even know where to start anymore Reply with quote

I have no experience with FI Beetles. A 1974 Sun Bug was the newest I ever owned. WTF is that stud with a nut doing In the intake port? I am not understanding where it came from or how it got in there...

Also, Coconut beer? Wow, sign me up!

Great that your bug is running again.

Mike T

Deserter Series 1 project.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=787047&highlight=

1973 Beetle Driver, Marina Blue.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: