Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Show us your 80's/90's customs!
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 144, 145, 146, 147, 148, 149  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Reader's Rides Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
thevinster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 10:44 am    Post subject: Re: Show us your 80's/90's customs! Reply with quote

I found these two in a back lot while exploring the other month. A Baja bug and a ghia with a gnarly paint job
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

joey1320
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 8:35 am    Post subject: Re: Show us your 80's/90's customs! Reply with quote

Another one that could be given a second life...
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1978852

Brambug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 2:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Show us your 80's/90's customs! Reply with quote

Wow there're some cool cars in here... I wouldn't mind giving one of those a better life, so sad to see so many of these bugs rot away
Jonnyla
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Show us your 80's/90's customs! Reply with quote

I wish I could find more pics of this '63 I built up in the 90's. I just ran across this one tonight. I always wonder where it ended up. I traded it for a very clean lifted '86 blazer in 1999. Which I then sold for a lot more than I had wanted for the VW. This thing had so many Porsche modifications. 5 speed 912 trans, 356 tail lights, 356 bumper trim on the euro blades. Speedo was on center of dash and where glove box and original speedo was there was oval window dash grills with gauges in center. Had a W deck lid and vents below rear window were filled (no idea why). Lots of "smoothed over" body mods. Anyways, I hope to find more pics and will post if I do. I had a a 60 bug in the garage too, you kind kind of see the back window of it.
If anyone has ever seen this car around hit me up. I'd love to know its story after me. I did see it on hwy 280 in San Mateo about a year after I traded it.

Just remembered the interior was all tweed. Pink, gray and turquoise from Jbugs and procar front seats. Also had a gray canvas ragtop.

It was on a magenta IRS pan with four lung empi 8 spokes.

Jon

I guess I should also add that this was in the Bay Area, California. So. San Francisco.

Skim
Rants Master

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Show us your 80's/90's customs! Reply with quote

did you mickey mouse it together :insert joke drum here: Cool
1954 Sunroof
1959 Lowlight Ghia vert
1960 Lt Grey Double Cab SMZ LEGIT
1963 Deluxe Turkis Walk Thru 15 Window OG Paint
JDGas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skim wrote:
dubluv wrote:
Naked wrote:
Skim wrote:
Oldskooler wrote:
Backto89 wrote:
brody wrote:
man.... no offense, but you 80s guys sure screwed up a lot of cars... Very Happy

No offence taken but, dude we didnt screw them up. These cars had inspiration and imagination to dare to be different than following the same old same old style, which happens now.

Targa tops, roof chops, rear scripts, pillarless, baja, buggy, all forms part of customising.

The main focus in the 2000's is to restore back to original and put some period accessories on. It was cool at first, but its been done to death...if I see another beige or black bug on fakey BRMs or polished Fuchs I will scream! Wink

The 80s cars you had so many different options to choose and know that two cars would not be the same. With some further thought you could change the paintwork to one off graphics, try different lights etc, wheels etc.

There were more bugs etc about back then too, so it wasnt such a big deal to chop the roof off, or customise a samba.

Stu

I have to agree. Custom VW's were the coolest thing on the street in the late 80's. That and mini trucks.

Alot of us did the OG paint, real BRM's, Fuchs (they were called Alloys back then). That's not a new thing. We did that because that's all we could afford. We saved for shiny new wheels and slammed our stockers. Shit, I rolled a slammed 1960, 6v, 36hp, og ruby red bug with a roofrack and radio delete for looonnnggg time. Smoothies and temporary use only tires.

Hoodrides are nothing new to us broke high-schoolers in the 80's. The only thing new about them are the crazy prices people are asking for them.

The baby blue vert ghia with the stripes on the side was our club president. I think his name was Bobby. My memorie isn't what it used to be but that car was awesome.

Yeah we had our bright colors and pastels, and sure the midwest guys got a little carried away with the fiberglass and those crazy hawaiians had their 15x10 inch rear wheels, but here in California, some of the baddest VW's that were customized in the 80's, could still hold their own in popularity today. BADRAZZ is a good example. So are all those bright ass 21-23 windows in the beginning of this thread.

You hit the nail on the head. Back then, it wasnt the ricer movement, for us high school kids it was V dubs and Mini Trucks, take your pick.
Yep I still call them alloys too. Laughing I remember that ghia, it had the color matched 14" alloys.

They only thing close to a Ricer back then where 510's and ealry 70's Celica's, which I still think are cool ass cars. But anything was cool if it was hittin some low Hz's coming out couple 15" CV's or Pyle's. And all most everyone I knew with a VW had to have it primered "under construction" look. I got tired of seeing that at shows and tehn they made it a catagory at VW and Minitruck shows. How bout this is far as I got it and and Im done.

Dammit these picture bring back cool ass memories. I was in the "under construction" category with the slammed primered look and the for ever thumping Pyles in the back.
Back in the day there use to be this VW club called Fantasy VW club running around the Escondido. I use to know this cool dude Ben Mata that was a member and had the nicest bug I had ever seen, it was always clean and detailed to a T, man I wish I had a picture of his bug. I then got inspired to do the mini trucking thing thanks to another club I saw rolling around town by the name of Southern Coast Mini Truckers or something like that and then I went out and got me a 1969 510 dropped it and installed an L20 with dual sidedrafts, that little car handled like it was on rails!! Now Im back to VW's. Cool thread!

Fantasy V-ubs painted their club logos on the quarter window glass. I remember the president was a dude named Jeff Schuck. His brother is in Oregon now still into VW's. Cool dudes.

Caught this one on Crusin' Grand in Escondido last summer. Not done in typical Fantasy V-Dubs style, maybe and old member that updated his car. I'll have to hit up Jeff Schuck about it. Cool to see their painted windows back out on the street

1961 Sunroof Beetle - sold
1969 Sunroof Beetle
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sovereignsamba
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 9:33 am    Post subject: Re: Show us your 80's/90's customs! Reply with quote

1985. Only 1000 miles since built, true time capsule.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sportin-wood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 7:33 am    Post subject: Re: Show us your 80's/90's customs! Reply with quote

BAD TEMPER II can be yours....

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2057431
"Relax, all right? My old man is a television repairman. He's got this ultimate set of tools. I can fix it." --- Jeff Spicoli
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bryan67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 8:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Show us your 80's/90's customs! Reply with quote

Not for that price.
Bashr52
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 6:39 am    Post subject: Re: Show us your 80's/90's customs! Reply with quote

Bryan67 wrote:
Not for that price.

Looks who's listing it, most of his stuff is up there in price.
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 8:49 am    Post subject: Re: Show us your 80's/90's customs! Reply with quote

Bashr52 wrote:
Bryan67 wrote:
Not for that price.

I don't think Randy decides on the sell price. I bought a bug from him and he had to go to the owner to present my offer.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
Banzai KG
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 9:44 am    Post subject: Re: Show us your 80's/90's customs! Reply with quote

Last month, a long time friend Stanley Escalano contacted me that he wants to bring out his 1955 Oval window Bug "BadRazz" back to the shows next year.
So I went to his pad in Salinas and talked about some upgrades he wants to do.
He wants to refreshen the transaxle, rechrome some parts, and some upgrades.
He definitely misses driving his ride with us to the shows as he's seen my adventures on my Facebook page.

So here's pictures I took last month when I visited Stanley:

V.V.W.C.A. - Golden Gate Chapter: http://www.ggcvvwca.org/
B.L.T.N. (Better Late Than Never) late model VW Club (San Jose/Santa Clara, CA): https://www.facebook.com/groups/bltnvw/
NorCal Aircooled Group (NAG) Facebook Goup: https://www.facebook.com/groups/NAGVW/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tinman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 7:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Show us your 80's/90's customs! Reply with quote

That car is sweet ,, used to see it around ,, and at kelley
park a few years back ,, its got the look and the stance
Skim
Rants Master

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 6:46 am    Post subject: Re: Show us your 80's/90's customs! Reply with quote

Banzai KG wrote:
Last month, a long time friend Stanley Escalano contacted me that he wants to bring out his 1955 Oval window Bug "BadRazz" back to the shows next year.
So I went to his pad in Salinas and talked about some upgrades he wants to do.
He wants to refreshen the transaxle, rechrome some parts, and some upgrades.
He definitely misses driving his ride with us to the shows as he's seen my adventures on my Facebook page.

So here's pictures I took last month when I visited Stanley:

Bad Razz was a Bad Motherfucker in its day. Still is.
1954 Sunroof
1959 Lowlight Ghia vert
1960 Lt Grey Double Cab SMZ LEGIT
1963 Deluxe Turkis Walk Thru 15 Window OG Paint
bugnut68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Show us your 80's/90's customs! Reply with quote

sportin-wood wrote:
BAD TEMPER II can be yours....

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2057431

60k...that's gonna be a hard sell.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Rich's 50
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Show us your 80's/90's customs! Reply with quote

Bashr52 wrote:
Bryan67 wrote:
Not for that price.

Laughing You cheap bastards Wink
obus Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 6:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Show us your 80's/90's customs! Reply with quote

This up for sale now! https://newjersey.craigslist.org/cto/d/vw-rolls-royce-conversion/6230743573.html
1960 Paprika Red Karmann Ghia Convertible aka Schatze L452 built 5/20/60
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
66 21 window bus built 8/31/65 https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=777273
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Show us your 80's/90's customs! Reply with quote

obus wrote:
This up for sale now! https://newjersey.craigslist.org/cto/d/vw-rolls-royce-conversion/6230743573.html

Saved for posterity

Price seems unreasonable
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Show us your 80's/90's customs! Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:

Price seems unreasonable

Quite possibly the understatement of the year.
63Ragtop NZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 11:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Show us your 80's/90's customs! Reply with quote

The bastards thread is up there guys /\/\/\

Laughing Sick
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Reader's Rides All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 144, 145, 146, 147, 148, 149  Next
Jump to:
Page 145 of 149

Jump to: