Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

led head light's
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
ataraxia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:40 pm    Post subject: Re: led head light's Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
Erik G wrote:
ataraxia wrote:
They'd look a bit strange on a VW though.

agreed. not so bad on a 944 with pop-up headlights. Or a Baja like Mark has

The jeep guys seem to like them

Erik, your pictures are about the same results I have with the Bus. MUCH better than the off the shelf sealed beam halogens that were in it. As for looking strange... How many people are going to pass you the opposite way, and for the split second they can even identify what the vehicle is, say to themselves "wow, that looked really stupid on a classic VW"? If they help me to see an animal on the road at 1am on the way home from a show/track, I don't care if they're red in color, or what others think.

About the only LED headlight that I've seen in person that's better than the Truck Lite is the JW Speaker 8700 Evolution 2 LED headlight. It looks good on lifted trucks/off road vehicles but would look really odd on a classic VW.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Fairly consistently rated better for cutoff / light dispersion than the Truck Lite - and don't care about how it looks - it's right up your alley.

http://www.jwspeaker.com/products/led-headlights-model-8700-evolution-2/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:10 am    Post subject: Re: led head light's Reply with quote

I do see now why you would think it would look odd. The Vintage LED's have more of a white color than a halogen, but when they are off, they look no different than a Hella shell with an H4 bulb. I guess if you had the odd looking ones on your concours show Oval, then yeah, that would look odd. I'm still of the opinion, if it helps me see, I really don't care how others view it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:49 am    Post subject: Re: led head light's Reply with quote

Ok, but you are primarily drag racing your car right? They are fugly - but probably cool on jeeps and mad max or fast and furious type cars.

I have no idea about that Vintage LED brand, I've never seen them, never seen shots of the spread or throw or pattern. The guy is even local to me I think, never posted pics. I'm sure they are just generic e-codes with a commercially available bulb. I would think they would have a problem dissipating heat in a sealed VW fender too

But:

Laughing
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:47 am    Post subject: Re: led head light's Reply with quote

The Vintage LED's are adequate enough for me. No one said anything about them in the Bus while off at two of the largest local VW shows, so they must not stand out too much. The JW light would look goofy to me in any vehicle, but if they were the head, and shoulders best option on a vehicle that gets driven, I'd put them on a Model T. I mainly thought you were talking about the appearance of something like the Vintage light, which to me doesn't look any different at all from a stock light. Most of our vehicles are trailered, or driven during the daytime. It's those that drive a lot, or all year when the days are short would any better headlight help any. I actually used to race with my headlights off some of the time, so the track visability wasn't any part of the equation for me.
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:07 am    Post subject: Re: led head light's Reply with quote

I think the googler eyes would look ok in early with the fluted lens....but how that affects the light may be a issue...or may not. I got some low power h4 led's to ty in mine, there cheep, only36 watt I see how they do in my std dead housings then in the projector housings when i get a chance to do some swaping and painting of the bucktes ( early style lights in my bud looken real dinghy)
vintagecarleds
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 11:46 am    Post subject: Re: led head light's Reply with quote

Erik G wrote:
Ok, but you are primarily drag racing your car right? They are fugly - but probably cool on jeeps and mad max or fast and furious type cars.

I have no idea about that Vintage LED brand, I've never seen them, never seen shots of the spread or throw or pattern. The guy is even local to me I think, never posted pics. I'm sure they are just generic e-codes with a commercially available bulb. I would think they would have a problem dissipating heat in a sealed VW fender too

But:

Laughing

Photos of the beam are listed on our website per product.

Beam photos are of 1 lens (not two) Cool

No issue dissipating heat in the fender.

https://vintagecarleds.com/product-category/7-inch/

Cheers-
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 12:16 pm    Post subject: Re: led head light's Reply with quote

yeah - and last time you said you would post pics that didn't happen

again, none against a wall, none of the spread, none of the throw. They look nice so thats one part of the equation down, 3 more to go...
vintagecarleds
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 12:21 pm    Post subject: Re: led head light's Reply with quote

Erik G wrote:
yeah - and last time you said you would post pics that didn't happen

again, none against a wall, none of the spread, none of the throw. They look nice so thats one part of the equation down, 3 more to go...

Have you looked at our website, and checked the photos?

Is there something different you want other than the photos currently listed?

Let me know-

Feedback: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=630636

Website with photos:
https://vintagecarleds.com/shop/7-inch/vc3500-classic-kit/

nextgen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 1:44 pm    Post subject: Re: led head light's Reply with quote

I went the simple LED Strip from Auto Zone. Very Bright, I use them as my dims, gives a cool effect while still using original lamps and signals in the same housing. All under my 1956 Porsche speedster grilles. Nice effect simple stick on to a small stainless steel bar.

Sorry Photobucket screwed me so you have to click on the three links below.
Hopefully you the links will a least work.

http://photobucket.com/gallery/user/nextgenusa/media/cGF0aDovUDEwMTA2NzUuanBn/?ref=1

http://photobucket.com/gallery/user/nextgenusa/media/cGF0aDovUDEwMTA2NzAuanBn/?ref=1

http://photobucket.com/gallery/user/nextgenusa/media/cGF0aDovUDEwMTA2NzIuanBn/?ref=1
LETS TALK DUBS https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=joe+cali+ghia https://letstalkdubs.libsyn.com/ep-200-joe-cali-ty...qI3xJTCzjs
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 1:45 pm    Post subject: Re: led head light's Reply with quote

ahhhh - I was looking through the gallery pics. Definitely good for still looking like a normal headlight

how about some like this for some context?

as for reviews -I don't much care for un-educated reviews. There are still a lot of people that think their HID drop ins are perfectly fine - know what I mean? I have a hard enough time with my personal friends and their drop ins...
nextgen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 2:54 pm    Post subject: Re: led head light's Reply with quote

Looks good and give a nice effect, especially at dusk.

LETS TALK DUBS https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=joe+cali+ghia https://letstalkdubs.libsyn.com/ep-200-joe-cali-ty...qI3xJTCzjs
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
theastronaut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 3:19 pm    Post subject: Re: led head light's Reply with quote

If you're looking to upgrade your headlights, candlepowerforums.com has an automotive lighting section with the most well-educated moderators and members on any type of headlight you could imagine. Check over there to see what those guys recommend. I'm super happy with my Cibie Z-Beams and Cibie e-codes in my daily drivers, both with relay harnesses and high quality bulbs. They perform much better then Dapper Lighting's 7" V2 HID headlights, which turned out to nothing but overpriced low quality chinese halogen projectors.

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?87-Automotive-Motorcycles-Included

VintageCarLED's is selling "DOT" Autopal headlights with drop in LED bulbs, which are illegal to use on the road... Check ebay for the same housings they use, only $27.95. Search on candlepowerforums for those guys opinions/reviews of Autopal "headlights". Also, the DOT doesn't "approve" any aftermarket headlights, so stay away from companies that claim that their lights are "DOT approved"

http://www.ebay.com/itm/7-H6024-H4-DOT-EURO-CONVERSION-HEADLIGHTS-KIT-/230154579474

More info on DOT approval:

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?387801-DOT-approved-headlights

'64 Beetle Sunroof OG Bahama Blue
'63 Beetle Vert
'66 Beetle
'88 Festiva L
'89 Festiva L
'64 Chevy C10
'66 Chevy C10
vintagecarleds
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 7:14 am    Post subject: Re: led head light's Reply with quote

Erik G wrote:
ahhhh - I was looking through the gallery pics. Definitely good for still looking like a normal headlight

I can do that for you, Looks like the test car they used in those photos was a Jeep YJ? Not sure of which car the other photo shows.

In order to replicate that test, I need to know:

What ISO setting the camera used was in.

Distance the headlights were from each other (center to center)

Distance from the center of each headlight to the ground.

Looks like a almost perfect flat asphalt road, I think I have one like that near me.

After I get this info I can replicate those tests for a valid comparison.

However that top headlight is a Modern Jeep headlight, What If I do the same test as above but with the following units below tested at the same ISO Setting?

Stock Sealed beam (What all U.S. Spec VW's came from the factory with)
    Hella lens with a H4 Bulb.
    Hella Lens with our LED bulb.
    Autopal Lens with a H4 bulb.
    Autopal Lens with our LED bulb.

I think this would be a better test?

-Thomas
vintagecarleds
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 7:29 am    Post subject: Re: led head light's Reply with quote

theastronaut wrote:
If you're looking to upgrade your headlights, candlepowerforums.com has an automotive lighting section with the most well-educated moderators and members on any type of headlight you could imagine. Check over there to see what those guys recommend. I'm super happy with my Cibie Z-Beams and Cibie e-codes in my daily drivers, both with relay harnesses and high quality bulbs. They perform much better then Dapper Lighting's 7" V2 HID headlights, which turned out to nothing but overpriced low quality chinese halogen projectors.

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?87-Automotive-Motorcycles-Included

VintageCarLED's is selling "DOT" Autopal headlights with drop in LED bulbs, which are illegal to use on the road... Check ebay for the same housings they use, only $27.95. Search on candlepowerforums for those guys opinions/reviews of Autopal "headlights". Also, the DOT doesn't "approve" any aftermarket headlights, so stay away from companies that claim that their lights are "DOT approved"

http://www.ebay.com/itm/7-H6024-H4-DOT-EURO-CONVERSION-HEADLIGHTS-KIT-/230154579474

More info on DOT approval:

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?387801-DOT-approved-headlights

Just a few corrections.

First off, you are correct, we are using Autopal headlights with drop in LEDs. We’ve done extensive testing and found that the Autopal lenses offer the best value and the best beam pattern for our LED design. We offer an upgrade to Hella lenses for those who prefer them, but we recommend sticking with the Autopal lenses for those reasons.

Secondly, you are also correct that our lights are not technically legal for on road use. However, the only lights that are legal are Halogen bulbs that exactly duplicate the Original Equipment Manufacturers design with respect to voltage, wiring and output. If you replace original sealed beam headlights with anything other than duplicates of those headlights than they are not legal for on road use. (Per FMVSS 108 S7.3-S7.9)

Third, you are correct that the DOT does not certify any lights themselves. However, a manufacturer may certify that they meet the requirements themselves. From 49 U.S.C. 30115: In General.— A manufacturer or distributor of a motor vehicle or motor vehicle equipment shall certify to the distributor or dealer at delivery that the vehicle or equipment complies with applicable motor vehicle safety standards prescribed under this chapter. A person may not issue the certificate if, in exercising reasonable care, the person has reason to know the certificate is false or misleading in a material respect. Certification of a vehicle must be shown by a label or tag permanently fixed to the vehicle. Certification of equipment may be shown by a label or tag on the equipment or on the outside of the container in which the equipment is delivered.

Anyone who spends more than a few hours a year driving at night knows that sealed beam bulbs are not just bad, but borderline unsafe at modern speeds. We have done our best to offer our customers the best value to improve their headlight. We have never argued that our lights are the best. If you are willing to spend $500-$600 and forgo the classic look, you can get better lights from JW Speaker and several other brands.

We do think that our lights are the best you can get if you want your car to retain their vintage appearance and upgrade your lights.

The above listed forms are listed here:
(Per FMVSS 108 S7.3-S7.9)
(From 49 U.S.C. 30115)

https://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/CFR-2004-title49-vol5/xml/CFR-2004-title49-vol5-sec571-108.xml

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/49/30115

-Thomas
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:57 am    Post subject: Re: led head light's Reply with quote

vintagecarleds wrote:
Erik G wrote:

I can do that for you, Looks like the test car they used in those photos was a Jeep YJ? Not sure of which car the other photo shows.

In order to replicate that test, I need to know:

What ISO setting the camera used was in.

Distance the headlights were from each other (center to center)

Distance from the center of each headlight to the ground.

Looks like a almost perfect flat asphalt road, I think I have one like that near me.

After I get this info I can replicate those tests for a valid comparison.

However that top headlight is a Modern Jeep headlight, What If I do the same test as above but with the following units below tested at the same ISO Setting?

I think this would be a better test?

-Thomas

LOL - ok. The 944 pics I posted are from a phone
vintagecarleds
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:04 am    Post subject: Re: led head light's Reply with quote

Erik G wrote:

LOL - ok. The 944 pics I posted are from a phone

Okay, so ill just do the below with the same ISO setting.

theastronaut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:11 am    Post subject: Re: led head light's Reply with quote

Why not post isocandela plots? Pictures aren't a good way to compare beam patterns and brightness (again, spend some time on candlepowerforums). Plots of Cibie, Hella, and Marchal H4 headlights are already available so you'd be able to directly compare the output of your lights to other well known lights.

'64 Beetle Sunroof OG Bahama Blue
'63 Beetle Vert
'66 Beetle
'88 Festiva L
'89 Festiva L
'64 Chevy C10
'66 Chevy C10
vintagecarleds
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:12 am    Post subject: Re: led head light's Reply with quote

theastronaut wrote:
Why not post isocandela plots? Pictures aren't a good way to compare beam patterns and brightness (again, spend some time on candlepowerforums). Plots of Cibie, Hella, and Marchal H4 headlights are already available so you'd be able to directly compare the output of your lights to other well known lights.

We actually sent sets for that testing to a user on here who works in that field, i'm still waiting on the PDF file with results from it.

My only thing is most customers wont know how to understand that data.

(thus the beam photos etc)

I do have that data from our old VC2500 model which we discontinued.

Would you like a copy?

Here is the testing rig with controlled voltage output the lab put together for us so they could test it vs. a sealed beam.

Last edited by vintagecarleds on Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:32 am; edited 1 time in total
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:28 am    Post subject: Re: led head light's Reply with quote

The problem I have with a lot of the unapproved LEDs is that they do not have vertical cutoffs and create a lot of glare for other vehicles. I can almost tell right away when someone is running unapproved LEDs at night.
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 1:57 pm    Post subject: Re: led head light's Reply with quote

74 Thing wrote:
The problem I have with a lot of the unapproved LEDs is that they do not have vertical cutoffs and create a lot of glare for other vehicles. I can almost tell right away when someone is running unapproved LEDs at night.

absolutely. the cut off is key.

the pics he posted against a wall look good for this. Also the 944 ones I posted, but they are fugly looking units - ok for a 944 where the headlights retract. Not ok for a VW

Looking forward to more pics! and thanks austonaut about candlepowerforums. Unfortunately, I can't see any imgur or whatevur...
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: