Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Fuel gauge sending unit
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
der58SC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dstefun wrote:
Be sure to release the float on the new one or you'll be pulling it out again!

does anyone by chance have a pic of the piece that holds the float?

KCCO!!

Strictly Vintage 2s
SCZ9-1-1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have a photo but, when new sending units are shipped there is a little pin that is placed in a small hole on the side of the unit a few inches down from the top. The pin holds the float in place so that the unit won't be damaged in shipping or by the recipient when he or she gets it under their Xmas tree all wrapped up and they shake the hell out of it to see what it is. (They are receiving it as a surprise because their partner or best friend is tired of having to go bring them gas when they run out and the cheap bastards don't have AAA). The pin is held in place by a piece of tape. Remove tape and small pin prior to installing in fuel tank. Otherwise you'll either be pulling the engine and fuel tank or cutting a hole in the luggage area above the tank to pull it out.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
der58SC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tell me how you really feel. Laughing Don't hold anything back.

I don't remember seeing any pin on mine when I bought mine brand new. I am about to pull mine out to toss in another one so I will check to see if it is still there. That might be why mine always reads Full when it was actually empty. Shocked That or the fact that I never had my gauge grounded. Embarassed

Ah the simple mistakes we make. Laughing

KCCO!!

Strictly Vintage 2s
bherder
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if the new sending units are stubby (for 10 gallon tanks) or taller (for 15 gallon tank)? I have a 66 sending unit and a 71 unit and the 71 is about 2 inches taller.

I took my unit apart and cleaned the shaft and it slides nice now. I ohmed it out and it is reading about 60 ohms full, and 160 ohms empty. Does that sound about right?

Parts manual:
http://oacdp.org/
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not right for an og gauge.
pig-pen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 10:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel gauge sending unit Reply with quote

Quick question... I have been trying to fix my fuel gauge for a while now...

'64 double cab

NOS gauge in, grounded etc, new cable to sender. reads full when cable is grounded so all ok there...

Pulled out the old sender which the PO had put in, and it was a lever type, which is wrong? only ever showed a quarter tank.

Got a new tube type sender, put that in... just wondering about the earthing of this? The old lever unit had 5 screws, one of which tightened onto a copper strip, so earthing the unit. the others had plastic washers...

installed the new unit with these screws... do I need the plastic washers or should I replace with metal to earth the unit correctly to the tank?
Who.Me? Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 12:22 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel gauge sending unit Reply with quote

pig-pen wrote:

Got a new tube type sender, put that in... just wondering about the earthing of this?

I earthed mine with a fly lead to a screw in to the body.

Checking a photo, I have two wires coming form the sender, one connected to the spade connector, the other to one of the securing bolts.

Can't remember whether the earth is the one connected the spade connector or the bolt though.

I don't remember having plastic washers, although there might have been some. I did seal the sender to the tank and around all the bolt holes with Pertex high-tack gasket sealer though to make sure I didn't have any vapour leaks. That sealer never goes compleatly hard, so I can remove the sender without damage.

Looking for info on my truck's history. Are you from Campbell California or nearby. Do you recognise it? ... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=636786
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:51 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel gauge sending unit Reply with quote

There is ground wire from a sender mounting bolt to the body.

I don't remember seeing plastic washers - they are steel.

You can see the brown ground wire here in this tank photo:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

It mounts to a screw hole that is above the center of the tank, visible from the rear of the Bus but behind the fan shroud if the engine is in there.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pig-pen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 1:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel gauge sending unit Reply with quote

thanks all. I actually just did that anyway today... and all seems to be working good.

The plastic washers were with the lever sender which was in there... I also tried the lever sender and that worked reading correct empty and full, but the float was screwy. Is the float supposed to half fill with fuel? I am assuming it needs some weight to make it lower, and air to make it raise?

Not using it now, just interested.
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 6:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel gauge sending unit Reply with quote

pig-pen wrote:
...the lever sender ...Is the float supposed to half fill with fuel?

The float in the lever sender? No it should be sealed air or non-absorbent float material: both kinds of senders should.
pig-pen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:30 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel gauge sending unit Reply with quote

the float in the lever sender yes, was full of fuel. Guess that was why it didn't work! did not float, and is also too stiff to lower itself too. Oh, well... a new tube type is in there now.

EDIT : and all working perfectly. Full when full and empty when empty.Smile

Last edited by pig-pen on Fri Aug 04, 2017 4:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
dgsaz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 12:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel gauge sending unit Reply with quote

I just finished a gas tank refurbish. Interesting stuff. As far as I can tell, this was the first time the tank has been out since it was built 65-66.

The tank came out very easy. I found a big seat belt washer under the tank when I removed it.

I took out the sending unit and had a look inside the tank. To my amazement I could not see any rust, anywhere. It looked new inside. The filter was very clean for being over 50 years old.

The entire tap and filter assembly was put together without washers. I used the washers from the kit.

I also took the old sending unit apart just to "have a look". A simple but effective device. Photos attached. Reminds me of something Lucas Electronic would come up with.

Old sending unit apart.

The top of the sending unit. I'll reground everything and hopefully I'll get reading of full tank. Before it read 3/4 when full.

The old and new, tap and filter. Notice how clean the filter is.

It's ready to reinstall in the bus. Probably the most difficult part of the install will be filler neck grommet. I'll heat it up with hot water and use some Windex for lube. Should go back without to much effort. I'm going to put an inline filter on the line out from the tap, behind the firewall, out of the engine compartment.

Cheers,

dgsaz
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: