Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Binz #148 up for Auction at Pebble Beach in August
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ronjonlasvegas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:06 am    Post subject: Binz #148 up for Auction at Pebble Beach in August Reply with quote

Here is the link, it looks like a very nice restoration. The auction is August 18-19, 2017. What do you think it will bring?

http://www.goodingco.com/vehicle/1958-volkswagen-type-2-double-cab/
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:25 am    Post subject: Re: Binz #148 up for Auction at Pebble Beach in August Reply with quote

I'll guess it makes $100K...

Bill
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hazetguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:55 am    Post subject: Re: Binz #148 up for Auction at Pebble Beach in August Reply with quote

i sure wish they'd take that stupid-a$$ slow vehicle magnet off the back. and to make a highlight picture of it in the gallery of images? wtf!

for once, it really does look like a pretty nice, accurate "restoration", although I wish there were more underneath pictures.
aside from some easily changeable items (fan belt, spark plug wire ends, gen pulley nut), the engine looks pretty accurate except for the fan shroud (beetle, not bus), but otherwise everything looks period correct, even the fuel pump and yellow wire condenser.

i'm with Bill, i bet it goes over 100K.
BulletBus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:10 am    Post subject: Re: Binz #148 up for Auction at Pebble Beach in August Reply with quote

I think this will be interesting to see. So far, all the high dollar buses that I've seen sell have been deluxes. So I wonder what the interest from that crowd of more money than sense will be. I'm betting that 99 percent of them have no idea what a binz is.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bulli Klinik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:17 am    Post subject: Re: Binz #148 up for Auction at Pebble Beach in August Reply with quote

I don't think the typical auction crowd will have the knowledge to appreciate the Bus or the restoration. 99% of the folks will talk about the 'VW Van turned into a truck". I think he'd have better luck putting a price on it.
Colorado Springs
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:20 am    Post subject: Re: Binz #148 up for Auction at Pebble Beach in August Reply with quote

If I had the money, and I'd had the sense from the passion and knowledge of our hobby, and know that true value is to be had in a vehicle like this, not a hacked/graphed 15 Window now Samba bus.
I hope it goes well over a $100k, so the average Joe's will quit asking me, "but do you have one of those 23-Window buses?!" Schmucks.
Good looking doka.

Oct. ’67 Double Cab (’68 Crew Cab)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44412.png]Click to view image[/URL]
March '69 Delivery (Panel Bus)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44414.png]Click to view image[/URL]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:39 am    Post subject: Re: Binz #148 up for Auction at Pebble Beach in August Reply with quote

I can't guess at a price since it's a Truck but I'm interested to see the result

Quote:
Rotisserie Restoration by Marque Experts

I think his name is spelled Mark? Very Happy

As in Mark Rafferty out of FL restored this truck.
I remember it having some serious rust that was all fixed.

Some old pics in the gallery:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php?search_keywords=binz+148&show_results=summary
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
adriano
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:39 am    Post subject: Re: Binz #148 up for Auction at Pebble Beach in August Reply with quote

Is she the same?
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...;start=240
Very nice Binz. This is one of my favourite models but I think final price will be lower than 100K. Rare model but not a samba.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:43 am    Post subject: Re: Binz #148 up for Auction at Pebble Beach in August Reply with quote

adriano wrote:
Is she the same?
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...;start=240
Very nice Binz. This is one of my favourite models but I think final price will be lower than 100K. Rare model but not a samba.

Yes, the photos I posted above are posted 1/2 way down that page above.
It starts at THIS POST

Gatorwyatt also says in that thread he sold it for between $50K-$70K in 2011.
(The text wasn't very specific)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hazetguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:03 am    Post subject: Re: Binz #148 up for Auction at Pebble Beach in August Reply with quote

all the auctioneer has to say is something like "this VW has had the Hands Of Rafferty laid upon it". the skies will open up, the angels will start singing, and it will easily hit 7 figures.
BeaterBarndoor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:42 am    Post subject: Re: Binz #148 up for Auction at Pebble Beach in August Reply with quote

hazetguy wrote:
all the auctioneer has to say is something like "this VW has had the Hands Of Rafferty laid upon it". the skies will open up, the angels will start singing, and it will easily hit 7 figures.

😂
For anyone with time to kill...
http://thebustransfer.com/Project_Archive/Pages/58_Binz_Crew_Cab.html

Whaaaaat?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ronjonlasvegas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 1:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Binz #148 up for Auction at Pebble Beach in August Reply with quote

I am thinking it will hit $85k, but you never know. It will be interesting to see.
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 2:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Binz #148 up for Auction at Pebble Beach in August Reply with quote

I think the price will be dictated on how many true aircooled VW people with the funds to purchase it and have to have it. Think Jerry Seinfeld.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
gatorwyatt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 6:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Binz #148 up for Auction at Pebble Beach in August Reply with quote

Dang Jon! It was finished in like 02' or something... pick on the details will ya. Laughing no one was taking the time at that point in the hobby to decipher details like that but I guess I could have fixed them when I had the engine out to rebuild prior to selling.
The truck was rough as they come but between NOS, very nice used metal and Marks talent we got it back together. Mark cannot take the blame on the bodywork. It went through two different guys and the last one that actually painted it did a really nice job for what he was dealt. The first body man sucked at life and started out good but life changed and he was failing fast so it was pulled. I was responsible for the mechanicals and assembly. Whoever buys it will have a nice piece with some small easy to fix blemishes.

wanted:
RHD Barndoor floor mat..reproduction is fine
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Binz #148 up for Auction at Pebble Beach in August Reply with quote

I look at it a little differently. Here is why I believe the sale price will be lucky to break $79k. Binz fans are VW truck and vintage VW people. Auction buyers who ring up the incredible prices are collectible car buyers who want to be VW owners. They are responsible for the 6 figure sambas- because they represent status to their peers. the more recognizable the status of a bus (regardless of authenticity or resto accuracy) the more these guys scramble and compete.

I believe this truck's buying public is almost too exclusive- therefore will sell for a price reflective of this less-competitive category.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
brettsvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 3:55 am    Post subject: Re: Binz #148 up for Auction at Pebble Beach in August Reply with quote

hazetguy wrote:

for once, it really does look like a pretty nice, accurate "restoration", although I wish there were more underneath pictures.
aside from some easily changeable items (fan belt, spark plug wire ends, gen pulley nut), the engine looks pretty accurate except for the fan shroud (beetle, not bus), but otherwise everything looks period correct, even the fuel pump and yellow wire condenser.

i'm with Bill, i bet it goes over 100K.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

My 59 kombi build.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=635003&highlight=

My buggy build.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=558601&highlight=

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=289807
jeremy57ride
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:06 am    Post subject: Re: Binz #148 up for Auction at Pebble Beach in August Reply with quote

I'm voting under 100k. But who knows on the auction day! I wish the best to the seller for his time and money invested.
As far as the market, I'd say an all original commercial vehicle would command more. Meaning, the true original paint, mechanical survivor. But Pebble Beach? Know Idea... you have to know your audience, and this may hit the right note.

gatorwyatt- What number does in need to hit for you to be pleased? (I know that is sensitive info... but that's what we all want to ask) Hope all goes well, I'd imagine the build up to auction day could be a roller coaster!
gatorwyatt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:34 am    Post subject: Re: Binz #148 up for Auction at Pebble Beach in August Reply with quote

The number it needs to hit has nothing to do with my opinions or needs. The truck was sold in 11' to fund the greater good of growing my business with a new building.
My wish is that someone who understands it's relevance to the history of the products offered by Volkswagen through the years will buy it and be the new curator and take care of it as I did.
The only real Binz that remains the king of all Binz's known is Wade's. The rest are all no different in the fact they needed complete top to bottom restorations or have been updated in some way. That fact helped me move on when the time came to let go of #148.

wanted:
RHD Barndoor floor mat..reproduction is fine
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cru62
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:54 am    Post subject: Re: Binz #148 up for Auction at Pebble Beach in August Reply with quote

All it will take is two inebriated people with deep pockets who know what that bus is and want it BAD. I would be astonished if it climbed much over 100k. Nice as it is, it is "just a truck". The vast and overwhelming majority of car guys wouldn't give it a second glance. The rest of humanity just see an old car. Deluxe buses have become iconic, like it or not. For the most part, unless you are of that extreme minority of knowledgeable people with funds to spare to support their habit, this truck is essentially worthless. Anything above that is just gravy.

Jokes about German sausage are the wurst.

Alan Brase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:57 am    Post subject: Re: Binz #148 up for Auction at Pebble Beach in August Reply with quote

hitest wrote:
... Auction buyers who ring up the incredible prices are collectible car buyers who want to be VW owners. They are responsible for the 6 figure sambas- because they represent status to their peers. the more recognizable the status of a bus (regardless of authenticity or resto accuracy) the more these guys scramble and compete.

I believe this truck's buying public is almost too exclusive- therefore will sell for a price reflective of this less-competitive category.

I think that's it exactly. There have been, what, TWO 23 windows sold really high- the grey white 63 for about $200k and this one earlier this year for like $298k. These are NOT TYPE 2 people buying these, just rich people buying it on a whim. Outside of Barrett-Jackson or other major houses, these same buses won't sell for half the price, will they?
And they just don't care about a BInz.
Al
To New owners: 1969 doublecab, 1971 Dormobile
Vanagons:
80 P27 Westy JUL 1979, 3rd oldest known US
83 1.6TD Vanagon, 87 Wolfie Westy daily driver, swap meet home
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: