Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Retarded #3 timing on pre-doghouse distributors
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dwighia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:43 am    Post subject: Re: Retarded #3 timing on pre-doghouse distributors Reply with quote

I really appreciate all the responses so far.

By way of background, I delved into this issue because my ’71 stock Ghia 1600cc dual-port was running rough. Some hesitation from a stop: which is probably normal for a 009 Dizzy. However, at a constant speed, say 35 mph, the engine has this annoying sputtering, bucking, hesitation feeling -- kinda like it was missing or something.
Stock engine except for the 009dizzy (1600cc dual port, Solex 34 PICT-3 Carb)

So, I did a complete tune-up, i.e. :
Valves .006 all around, stone cold
New Dist. Cap and rotor – Bosch
New Condenser – Bosch
Points (dwell = 4Cool,
Timing = 12d @ idle and 32d @ 3k rpms from #1 cylinder. Using an advance timing light.
Plugs looked great
Plug wires look fine, but not replaced recently
No debris in the fuel filter.
Solex 34 PICT-3 Carb has nice strong squirt from accelerator pump
Finally adjusted the idle= 820 RPMs at the carburetor. (although the idle readings jump all over the place)

I measured dwell and RPMs using an “Alltest 3707 Digital Engine Analyzer” which has a “Worn Distributor” light indicator. This light blinks!) It blinks even more on my other ’68 Ghia. (And that Ghia’s vacuum-only dizzy also has the #3 cylinder retarded by 2-3d.) So not sure how reliable this blinking light is and not sure if it is supposed to be blinking or steady. The unit says the light indicates “more than 2d dwell variation between cylinders – caused by worn cam lobes or bushings”. However, the dwell reading does not jump around like the idle does. So maybe this blinking light is just indicating the difference between the #1 and #3 cylinders?

The 009 Distributor was installed in 2009, or 37,000 miles ago. It is an off-brand Spectra Premium VW06 and it has NO Notch on the rim to indicate where #1 cylinder should be. (I believe “Spectra Premium” translates to “piece of junk” in German.)

So, thanks to the generous folks on Thesamba, I discovered that my 009 retards my timing on one of my cylinders, and since my dizzy was installed backwards, that retardation was on the #1 cylinder, it meant that I have been timing my Ghia incorrectly since 2009 – ouch. And worse, I’ve been timing the engine too high, like 35d – double ouch.

I realize my situation is rather unique. However, I am certain that I would never have discovered my error in timing (by checking the difference between the timing readings on the #1 vs the #3 cylinder), if it had not been for this thread. So, thank you everyone.

Perhaps this is something others should check if their engine is running hot or pinging or something.

Now to answer the questions so far:

Rockerarm: I’m flipping my dizzy and lowering my timing as suggested. My engine has never seemed particularly hot, but will verify with my meat thermometer. If I do replace the dizzy, my research (oldvolkshome.com) says that stock is “Stock Distributor: 1971-1973 1600 twin port engine (AD, AE series engine numbers) with the DOUBLE vacuum (dual diaphragm) distributor (two vacuum lines to the carburetor)”. Would anyone care to suggest a supplier? Thanks.

Busdaddy: I only have a regular pully with a dimple for TDC and a v-notch for approx. 5d ATDC – which I ignore. I read my timing using an advanced timing light aligned with TDC dimple. Thanks.

PJMS: My deceased mechanic installed this dizzy the way it is. I’ve never taken it out. I would like to go back to stock for a ’71 Ghia. Any suggestions for a reputable supplier? Thanks.

Ashman40: Yes, I’ve searched (without success) for pictures or information on distributors that DO NOT HAVE A NOTCH. But thanks for the pictures with notches. Option-1 Duh, what was I thinking --of course the dist. Cap only goes on one way. Option-2, This is probably what I will do for now. I’ll pretend I’m in England. Option-3 I will verify the top of the drive gear looks like your picture, but the rest of the procedure seems a little over my head. Thanks.
Dwight
If you dismantle a VW engine and reassemble it enough times, will you end up with enough extra parts for another engine?
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 10:47 am    Post subject: Re: Retarded #3 timing on pre-doghouse distributors Reply with quote

Dwighia wrote:
Option-2, This is probably what I will do for now.

Go back and read my updated reply to Option2. I was incorrect when I suggested just moving the plug wires around the cap. You WILL need to rotate the distributor body.
'67 Beetle #1 {project car that never made it to the road Sad }
'75 Beetle 1200LS (RHD Japan model) {junked due to frame rot}
'67 Beetle #2 {2019 project car - Wish me luck!}
Dwighia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 4:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Retarded #3 timing on pre-doghouse distributors Reply with quote

Update:
I took AshMan40’s excellent advice and went with option #2. i.e.
1. I verified that my engine was indeed positioned at #1 cylinder by rocking the pully and watching the valves not move when at TDC and rotor pointing to 4 o’clock.
2. Took the dizzy out and verified that the smaller half of the offset slot inside the dizzy tube was indeed toward the rear of the engine. Also found this guy’s video very helpful https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eaFoOzIKR4E

3. Reinstalled the dizzy and marked the side body of the Dizzy with the new position of #3 and #1 wires. Then rotated it 180 degrees. Now the new #1 cylinder wires are again at the 4 o-clock position.
4. Rewired the dizzy cap.

Here are my new numbers:
• Dwell 47-48
• Idle = 818
• Timing @ #1 cylinder 10 BTDC at idle and 28 BTDC at 3k rpms
• Timing @ #3 cylinder 5 BTDC at idle and 23 BTDC at 3k rpms

The engine actually seems to run a little better.
There is the usual 009 dizzy flat spot from idle, but otherwise works rather well. I continue to suffer from a mild form of sputtering while driving at constant speeds, but I think I can live with it.
Still, I might want to go back to a stock double vacuum distributor at some point, should I find one at a reasonable price.
Otherwise, all is well.
I really appreciate all the help from everyone on Thesamba.
Dwight

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

If you dismantle a VW engine and reassemble it enough times, will you end up with enough extra parts for another engine?
tasb
The Distributor Distributor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 7:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Retarded #3 timing on pre-doghouse distributors Reply with quote

Your clip for holding the condenser wire is upside down and not holding the wire in place. It can come loose easily and short out leaving you stranded. Flip it around 180 so that the fork holds the black plastic block in place.

1965 hardtop Deluxe Microbus owned since 1990 M 620 factory 12 v 1500cc

1961 (October)Single Cab- Road Trip Workhorse
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Retarded #3 timing on pre-doghouse distributors Reply with quote

tasb wrote:
Your clip for holding the condenser wire is upside down and not holding the wire in place. It can come loose easily and short out leaving you stranded. Flip it around 180 so that the fork holds the black plastic block in place.

As in slide it up into the slots on the sides of the black block so the block can't fall into the distributor, just sticking it over the block won't help.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
tasb

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:37 am    Post subject: Re: Retarded #3 timing on pre-doghouse distributors Reply with quote

mr. lang wrote:
To contribute to the original content of this thread, here is a copy from the official German workshop manual:
(thanks again to Michael Knappman (rip) for scanning this document and making it public)

#3 lobe is retarded 4° on the distributors marked with 1)

Well, this list is not a complete distributor list and it was discarded by VW in one of the next workshop manual updates. My personal copy does not have this information.
And we will never know, why they didn't copy the retard information to the other distributor lists.

I also found information about a retard lobe for a way later (1980) distributor in a bosch document.
This is about the 0 231 168 039 (same as 0 231 168 038), VW 070 905 205 A

#3 lobe is retarded 2°

Good clarification on the points block.

Going back to this data table that appeared at the bottom of page two of this topic; it's interesting to note that distributors 311 905 205 G and Q are listed as having a retarded no. 3 lobe. The type 3's did not have an obstructed oil cooler like the type 1&2 engines did therefore they did not need to have the retarded no. 3 lobe Shocked The 311 905 205 G was stock for 1967 and is in line with the 113 905 205 K, M and T as far as date range goes, the latter being one or two years later in production. Probably was done as an economy move but apparently was not detrimental to the type III engine performance.

It's also interesting to note that at least the Garbe Lahmeyer vacuum advance distributor 113 905 205 L had the retarded lobe, as well.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
runamoc Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 1:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Retarded #3 timing on pre-doghouse distributors Reply with quote

I ran across a rebuilt engine that had the distributor gear in 180º 'off'. I took out the distributor, took the spring off of the 'drive' on the end of the distributor, pushed the pin out, rotated the drive 180º, pushed the pin back in, installed the spring. TADA If you do that, your distributor will 'look' correct and work correctly.
VW Wiring = It's just wires
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
PJMS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 6:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Retarded #3 timing on pre-doghouse distributors Reply with quote

tasb wrote:
it's interesting to note that distributors 311 905 205 G and Q are listed as having a retarded no. 3 lobe. The type 3's did not have an obstructed oil cooler like the type 1&2 engines did therefore they did not need to have the retarded no. 3 lobe ...... Probably was done as an economy move but apparently was not detrimental to the type III engine performance.

You have spotted the flaw in the rumour. The oil cooler location was never the reason for the #3 retard. It had more to do with the length of the exhaust manifold from the #3 chamber combined with the all vacuum advance, and this affected both the Type 3 and Type 1 engines (no 'economy move'). The change to the Dog House cooling system was coincidental. The only reason for relocating the oil cooler was to get it out of the way so that they could increase the volume of air to the heads and cylinders.
tasb

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Retarded #3 timing on pre-doghouse distributors Reply with quote

Interesting and valid assertion. Can you support it with documentation?

PJMS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:25 am    Post subject: Re: Retarded #3 timing on pre-doghouse distributors Reply with quote

I had gone through all of this 10 to 15 years ago, so I will have to go dig up my records. I am sure, though, that some of it will have been archived on the various forums as well. One of the problems for the 'show proof' requirement is that it is sort of like asking someone to prove that something, which never happened, actually never happened! if you see what I mean.
PJMS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 9:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Retarded #3 timing on pre-doghouse distributors Reply with quote

It is going to take a while for me to find and produce the research I did into the subject of the ignition retard on #3 cylinder, which began in the early 1990’s and then concluded about 2006. In the meantime, I can sort of explain what it is all about.

First thing to remember is that the VW engineers were like scientists and their reasoning would seem odd to most of us, but once you make that translation then things start to make a different kind of sense. Gene Berg was the one who got me started on this as he insisted that it was nothing to do with the position of the oil cooler. He wasn’t the only one who poured disdain on the idea that the cooler was the problem, as just about every other VW trained mechanic I spoke to, who knew anything about it, had a similar story.

As the myth goes: VW built millions of Bugs with one of the cylinders constantly running hotter due to the fact that they placed the oil cooler inside the flow of cooling air to that cylinder. To cure the problem, they introduced a distributor which retarded the ignition to that cylinder by 4 degrees, until they redesigned the cooling system taking the oil cooler out of the cylinder airflow. Sounds perfectly reasonable, except for the fact that there was no VW explanation to that effect.

So what is wrong with the myth? The main ‘red flag’ is that #3 was not the only cylinder downwind from the oil cooler! When I checked the VW (deep magic) specifications I found that not all distributors had the retard feature. It seemed it was almost exclusively a feature if all-vacuum advance distributors (for both Type 1, 2 and 3 vehicles. This was backed up by the VW trained mechanics who all insisted it was an issue that related to the advance curve of certain distributors. This, however, did not answer the question of why this advance curve affected only #3; what made it so special?

The important thing to remember about air cooling is that it is really the air density or air mass which is important, not so much the ambient air temperature. The more air you ram through the fan housing the more heat is transferred out of the engine. It was a relatively small amount of air that passed through the oil cooler (limited by a baffle) forcing most of the air over the cooler, which in turn forced the exhaust from the cooler to flow out at the base of the cylinders (not the hot part). There were no vanes required on that side of the shroud as the oil cooler provided all the direction needed; which is why, when people thought relocating the oil cooler would improve things, it actually made it worse.

It turns out that the temperature of #3 is affected by a combination of its location and the efficiency of the inlet manifold exhaust pre-heat. #3 is the furthest cylinder from the muffler, which means that the hot exhaust gases remain in the exhaust manifold longer than any other (#1 being the next hottest) and that negatively impacts the temperature inside the combustion chamber. Due to the right to left direction of flow of the inlet pre-heat, the left side of the manifold would not maintain fuel atomization as well as the right, which also affected the temperature in the chamber. However, all this only became an issue with the advance curves created by all-vacuum advance distributors; which seemed to exacerbate the problem. And the ‘problem’ was not so much the increased heat but that it caused the ‘burn’ to complete more rapidly so the engine effectively 'fired' at uneven intervals. The retard feature did not actually cool the cylinder, but simply brought the completion of the burn cycle in line with the other three. Other improvements, which may have helped, were the shortening of the manifold length, the improved heat exchangers, which essentially removed heat from #1 and #3 exhaust manifolds, and the dual pre-heat or left to right single pre-heat inlet systems.

The use of all-vacuum distributors essentially came to an end with the advent of the more strict emission controls which also necessitated the Dog House cooling system. The general method for improving emissions was through a more complete burn in the combustion chamber; which is easier with a lean mixture. To control the resulting heat across all cylinders, they needed more air, and more control of precisely where it went. This meant moving the oil cooler out of the way (more capacity) and replacing it with directional vanes. The relocation of the oil cooler was nothing to do with the temperature problems in #3 and if they had used the all-vacuum advance distributors with the Dog House system, they would have most likely still needed the 4 degree retard on #3. The ‘proof’ of this is in the fact that this was precisely the case with the Type 3 engines fitted with the all-vacuum distributors as the oil cooler had its own separate cooling air, just like the later Type 1 Dog House system.

And if that is not enough, VW continued to supply Type 1 models with 1200cc engines and the old in-house cooler set-up until 1985. None of these engines, fitted with vacuum/centrifugal advance distributors, used the retard feature.

Hope this has explained my understanding clearly.
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Retarded #3 timing on pre-doghouse distributors Reply with quote

ashman40 wrote:
Dwighia wrote:

Go back and read my updated reply to Option2. I was incorrect when I suggested just moving the plug wires around the cap. You WILL need to rotate the distributor body.

I recently read both options are incorrect. The distributor drive gear should be pulled and put back in correctly. With it being in incorrectly the distributor will actually get less lubricant and heat up prematurely. Can anyone confirm that if the distributor drive gear is in wrong less oil will be splashed up to the distributor?
5% Off your order with coupon code: 5%OFF
Restored Distributors Available (<--Click here)
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 4:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Retarded #3 timing on pre-doghouse distributors Reply with quote

kawfee wrote:
ashman40 wrote:
Dwighia wrote:

I recently read both options are incorrect. The distributor drive gear should be pulled and put back in correctly. With it being in incorrectly the distributor will actually get less lubricant and heat up prematurely. Can anyone confirm that if the distributor drive gear is in wrong less oil will be splashed up to the distributor?

Are you talking about the oil hole in the side of the distributor? There is no way to install the common 68-70 SVA distributors and line up the oil hole with the case oil hole. So the only time the drive gear orientation matters is when there is a 3-degree retard, or a vacuum can that has to clear intake piping. Even then, it would be good to follow proper practices and orient the drive dog properly.

A common thing I’m seeing on customer cars is a case that has been poorly drilled and tapped for gallery plugs will actually warp the distributor bore enough to prevent easy removal of the drive gear. Since the common tool won’t be able to lift the drive gear out, I’ll drive out the distributor lower pin and rotate the tang 180 degrees so the distributor can still give proper #3 retard AND the vacuum can will clear the intake. Again, proper practice is preferred, but when hippies are living in my driveway I have to get them back on the road before my neighborhood smells like patchouli...

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Frederik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2021 8:35 am    Post subject: Re: Retarded #3 timing on pre-doghouse distributors Reply with quote

The following is from a service bullitin from Bosch 1st of Jan 1965 pointing out changes in distributors for vw.

Loosly translated:

Formerly VW 1500N (type 3) was fitted with distributor ZV/PAU 4R4 and ...R6. This distributor types was from chassie No 0221975 (aug. 63) replaced by the distributor 0 231 147 002 (ZV/JU 4 R3) with only vacuum regulation and smaller vacuum can. From the start of the year 1964 vw 1200 (type 1) and vw transport (type 2) also are fitted with this new type of distributor and in August it was introduced as 0 231 147 002 -JU4 (R). The vacuum can on this distributor is 65mm. With this distributor an asymmetric points cam shaft was introduced with counting from cyl 1 has 0-90-182-270 degrees between the cams highest point (My note: 2deg at distributor=4deg at engine).

With this new distributor a change of the carburetor was also made. From carburetor number 238 225 the vacuum port has been moved 8mm closer to the throttle plate. In the vacuum connection a drossel jet is fitted. This in combination with the new distributor evens out the pulsating vacuum signal.

The following combination can be made:
The new carb with the new distributor
The new carb with the old distributors
But not the old carb with a new distributor

Change for 1500S:
Before it was fitted with distributor 0 231 150 001 (ZV/JCU 4R3) with centrifugal and vacuum regulation. This distributor was from aug 1964 replaced by distributor 0 231 147 007 -JU4(R) with asymmetric points cam shaft as described above, but with a bigger vacuum can of 85mm.

Last edited by Frederik on Thu Mar 18, 2021 9:20 am; edited 3 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Frederik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2021 9:14 am    Post subject: Re: Retarded #3 timing on pre-doghouse distributors Reply with quote

Me to think the "myth" part is that the retarded No 3 has anything to do with a obstructing oil cooler/ lowering the temps. As the bullitin above points out type 3, 1500N was the first to get this change and altough the text doesn't say it straight out it feels like it (as previous pointed out) has more to do with the vacuum signal and a evolution during and for the 60's vacuum distributors. The mechanical/vacuum (SVDA) cast iron distributors before this didn't have it, but even type 3, 1500S got it when they went from the one year only ZV/JCU4R3 (SVDA) to the vacuum only distributors. As previous chart points out the later aluminum mechanical/vacuum distributors didn't have it (or at least not the ones in the list). Other car manufacturs at the same time (mid 60s) also got assymetric points cam shaft, opel 1964 for one example got a 0-92-180-272 degrees points cam.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: