Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Help identify Wolfsburg/Blaupunkt? Correct for 1964 type 1 ???
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
fifthcenturycheese Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 4:52 pm    Post subject: Help identify Wolfsburg/Blaupunkt? Correct for 1964 type 1 ??? Reply with quote

Hello, I purchased a 64 bug several years ago that came with a blaupunkt radio mounted in the dash by the original owners. I think they installed it in the late 80's or early 90's. It has a wolfsburg face plate but someone removed the id/serial number so I can't identify what model it is. It seems to operate well, just not sure if it is correct for my bug or if I can replace the knobs for a correct looking set up? It is also lacking the rubber seal that separates the face plate form the dash. Can you help id this radio and let me know what parts I might need to make it correct? Here are a couple pictures of the radio...thank you Mike
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by fifthcenturycheese on Fri Jul 28, 2017 4:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Help itentify Wolfsburg/Blaupunkt? Correct for 1964 type 1 ??? Reply with quote

had one of these radios in a 63 Bus and 64 356. Certainly it is era correct.

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 4:27 am    Post subject: Re: Help itentify Wolfsburg/Blaupunkt? Correct for 1964 type 1 ??? Reply with quote

That was a high dollar one too. If it works, keep it. If it doesn't work, get it fixed
Digger89L
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:04 am    Post subject: Re: Help itentify Wolfsburg/Blaupunkt? Correct for 1964 type 1 ??? Reply with quote

That looks like the model # on the sticker by the voltage change instructions: EVB 931 21C (??). Where it looks like something was scratched off may have been the serial number. What's on the red sticker under the wiring ..where it says GERMAN ...etc? Perhaps there's more info there?
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:38 am    Post subject: Re: Help itentify Wolfsburg/Blaupunkt? Correct for 1964 type 1 ??? Reply with quote

"Correct" would be a block off plate. Radios & antennas for N. America were a dealer sold and installed item. If you had just payed off the last on your VW back in the day, you could then buy a radio with next months extra cash. Also dealers often added a radio to sweeten the used car deal.
Have early 1960s Blaupunkt literature on how to install the particular radio into a pre-1958 Beetle...

Knobs look like from other than VW make of automobile. Usually the push buttons would be same color as the dash knobs. So you might consider if you want to keep the face plate and sell or trade what you have for a radio with silver grey knobs
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:41 am    Post subject: Re: Help itentify Wolfsburg/Blaupunkt? Correct for 1964 type 1 ??? Reply with quote

fifthcenturycheese wrote:
It has a wolfsburg face plate but someone removed the id/serial number so I can't identify what model it is.

Model is shown on the top sticker...

Last edited by Eric&Barb on Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:22 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wimkever
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:04 am    Post subject: Re: Help itentify Wolfsburg/Blaupunkt? Correct for 1964 type 1 ??? Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:
fifthcenturycheese wrote:
It has a wolfsburg face plate but someone removed the id/serial number so I can't identify what model it is.

Model is show on the top sticker...

That's right. On the sticker you can see the model name : "Frankfurt ATR US".
ATR = All Transistor, US means that it is a model for the USA.
This one is produced in the years 1963 and 1964. There was no rubber seal between the faceplate and the dash.
Zwitterkafer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:13 am    Post subject: Re: Help itentify Wolfsburg/Blaupunkt? Correct for 1964 type 1 ??? Reply with quote

With black volume and tuning knobs, this radio could be at home in a Canadian Custom, which has black dash knobs, and no chrome strip across the dash. (Note that this Wolfsburg faceplate does not have chrome strip extensions on the left and right edges, thus it breaks up the continuity of the Deluxe dash chrome strip)
Zwitterkafer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:23 am    Post subject: Re: Help itentify Wolfsburg/Blaupunkt? Correct for 1964 type 1 ??? Reply with quote

And yes, there was a rubber seal between the faceplate and the dash. It was a strip of grey or black rubber, round in cross-section, ends glued together, and glued into the perimeter channel on the back of the faceplate. They are quite often missing, probably because they fall off after the glue fails.
fifthcenturycheese Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 10:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Help identify Wolfsburg/Blaupunkt? Correct for 1964 type 1 ??? Reply with quote

Thanks to everyone for the information on this post. As it turns out, I discovered a guy in New York that has parts for these, sells radios and refurbishes them. This is his website http://www.vintageblau.com/home.html He is pretty quick to email back and has dialed me in on the parts I need to complete this radio...give his site a look.

Mike
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: