Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

36hp Valve springs
Forum Index -> Vintage Speed Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bialzi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 4:38 pm    Post subject: 36hp Valve springs Reply with quote

Hi does anyone have any info on dual, beehive or any other valve springs that will fit 36hp WW okrasa heads as the standard valves are close to bind with the standard springs using 1.25 to 1 speedwell rockers. Thanks in advance Neil
gimmesomeshelter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 10:59 am    Post subject: Re: 36hp Valve springs Reply with quote

Perhaps splitpile will fill us in. Wink

http://kustomcoachwerks.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=6386

Quote:
HIGHLY modified WW Okrassa heads 35.5 intakeX33 exhuast, custom springs and titanium retainers

Here's a thread to check out: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=

Cheers,

Paul

Richard Feynman
earthquake
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 12:29 pm    Post subject: Re: 36hp Valve springs Reply with quote

I was playing with using Honda Goldwing springs and valves in a 36 hp head, here the thread...

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=437391&highlight=goldwing

Casey
05 SCION XB SERIES RELEASE 2[#437]
95 Chevy C3500 dually
98 Ford E150
Link to Kelly J. Nolte 3/20/53 - 11/6/08
https://time-zonelabs.blogspot.com/p/about-kelly.html
DEATH TO CHINGERS!
[From a military recruitment poster in the novel "The Stainless Steel Rat" By Harry Harrison]
Frederik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:36 pm    Post subject: Re: 36hp Valve springs Reply with quote

Any update on this subject? 1.25 speedwell rockers, ww okrasa heads and stock cam. Does the ww okrasa springs work or is there a better option? Catcam PAC-S90019 single spring, Jaguar dual springs or other springs?

Data for jaguar springs c7136/c7137
Free Length 1.96 in.
Outside Dia. 1.15in
Inside Dia. .64 in
Pressure @ full lift 165 lbs.
Seat Pressue 86 lbs
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
FritzCP
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:21 am    Post subject: Re: 36hp Valve springs Reply with quote

whats the Solid height (coil Bind).

the catcams are about 21.2mm, and the stock 36hp head has an installed spring height of 28mm. therefore the stiffer springs only have 6mm (.250") lift or so until bind, and the cams lift is about .320" without ratio rockers
Fritz 70 - 6306 Bearing Puller
Fritz 44 - Dizzy Puller
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:37 am    Post subject: Re: 36hp Valve springs Reply with quote

I don't know why folks don't try the 25hp oem dual springs 🤔🙄
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1608928
Frederik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:25 am    Post subject: Re: 36hp Valve springs Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
I don't know why folks don't try the 25hp oem dual springs 🤔🙄
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1608928

I acctually saw that add today, do the 25hp springs fit 36hp? And do they do anything about coil bind
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:34 am    Post subject: Re: 36hp Valve springs Reply with quote

They should 25hp has the same valve specs" valve stem /guide" as a 36hp and if they don't the 36hp retainer just buy the 25hp retainer but I think the 25hp retainer is also the same ....but not sure if those dual oem springs used a different one but if it does just buy and look for those 25hp retainers for those dual springs shouldn't be hard maybe the vendor of those springs can supply you with the retainers also ....
gimmesomeshelter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:46 am    Post subject: Re: 36hp Valve springs Reply with quote

Has anyone tried milling Okrasa heads to accept taller springs. It looks like there's some room.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Cheers,

Paul

Richard Feynman
Frederik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 1:21 pm    Post subject: Re: 36hp Valve springs Reply with quote

I find mixed answers about the install height. Did a rough meassure and get about 32mm from the underside of retainer to head surface, this did not include all the way down to spring seat area so total install height is probably aprox. 33-34mm. This confirms what I've read somewere that it is 34mm. Total lift (theoretic) with 1.25 rockers should be .4 inch (10.16mm) if I understand it correct and compression height of the spring at full lift would be aprox 23-24mm. If coil bind with catcam spring is 21.2 shouldn't it be safe?

I'm a total noob om this, so trying to learn as mutch as I can.

Ordered both the catcam springs and the dual 25hp springs. My biggest consern with the catcam is that stey have to mutch spring force/ wear out cam/lifters?
Frederik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 2:23 pm    Post subject: Re: 36hp Valve springs Reply with quote

Got the catcams and 25hp springs. Just by eyeballing it they all, the 25hp should have the smallest solid height. There is a big differens in spring pressure, the 25hp I can almost compress by hand force, the catcams No chance. Would think that the 25hp duals might work the best for my application.

Got the anwer with this picture from the seller if 36hp valve retainers worked with the dual 25hp springs that they fit as long as they have a flat inner mating surface. Not sure how the WW retainers looks like?
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 2:27 pm    Post subject: Re: 36hp Valve springs Reply with quote

Keep us inform on the process 👍👍 ...
Frederik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 6:42 pm    Post subject: Re: 36hp Valve springs Reply with quote

Did a very rough meassurement (using an old mechanic scale). So this should by no means be taken as exact figures, but just as a rough comparison. Also full lift and istall hight is still "theoretical".

Dual 25hp springs
Free length: 41,5mm
Pressure at install height (33mm): 18-20kg
Pressure at 28mm (vw test value for 36hp, should read 33.7+/-1.70kg): 28-30kg
Pressure at full lift (23mm): 38-40kg

Catcams (for comparison on the scale)
Free lenght: 45mm
Pressure at install height (33mm): 40kg
Pressure at 28mm: 55kg
Pressure at full lift (23mm): 75kg

I will probably not use the catcams to begin with, but I will try the 25hp dual springs. There is about 5kg difference with and without the inner springs so might also try just the inners with the WW and stock springs.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vintage Speed All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: