Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Colorado Bay Owners?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 29, 30, 31  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 2:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Colorado Bay Owners? Reply with quote

camit34 wrote:
vwwestyman wrote:

In the interest of the thermostat working properly (I don't see a thermostat.
Sad ), and protecting the push rod tubes from rock impact, it is advisable to utilize the "sled" tin.

It does look like you've installed both sides' sled tins on the driver side (left in pic) of the motor.

The piece that is mostly visible should go on the other side of the motor, so the sleds go from the upper cylinder, then down and under the push rod tubes. As this pic faces, without the rest of the back piece of tin, you'd see the underside of the cylinder/head fins.

Unfortunately neither engine I have has a thermostat, I'll locate one and get that fixed.

I'm pretty sure I'm following you on your description but I'll take a couple photos of it later this evening, post'em up, then fix it.

Appreciate the help!

That stuff is fresh in my memory as I just put my Thing engine back together a few weeks ago.

When I pulled it apart, I discovered it was missing all the thermostat stuff, so I bought the full set from this guy:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=699610

Worked well, and was a nice one-stop-shop for the entire thermostat system vs. piecing it together.

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Colorado Bay Owners? Reply with quote

as long as you have the deflector tins under the jugs and the sled tins in you'll be all set for the trip. Hope you get that engine stabbed in soon, it's gonna need a break in before the 800 mile road trip with the fam. Wink
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
camit34
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 10:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Colorado Bay Owners? Reply with quote

richparker wrote:
as long as you have the deflector tins under the jugs and the sled tins in you'll be all set for the trip. Hope you get that engine stabbed in soon, it's gonna need a break in before the 800 mile road trip with the fam. Wink

That's what I was thinking too but for sure going to get all the correct stuff and installed before too long.

Should be installed sometime tomorrow. Fingers crossed on running... and then a weekend and next work week to get as many break in miles as possible.
1967 Freedom Camper (SOLD)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
camit34
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 10:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Colorado Bay Owners? Reply with quote

vwwestyman wrote:

That stuff is fresh in my memory as I just put my Thing engine back together a few weeks ago.

When I pulled it apart, I discovered it was missing all the thermostat stuff, so I bought the full set from this guy:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=699610

Worked well, and was a nice one-stop-shop for the entire thermostat system vs. piecing it together.

Awesome! Thanks for the heads up on this!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
camit34
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Colorado Bay Owners? Reply with quote

Out with the old...but I do have to mention this is great little Bug 1600 that took me from Denver to San Fran, all over NoCal, down to San Diego and back to SF 3 separate times and then SF back to Denver again back in '12 with no real issues at all...not bad for a last minute $400 engine purchase!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

In with the new. It's mounted up and at a good stopping point for tonight

richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Colorado Bay Owners? Reply with quote

camit34 wrote:

Dude you gotta fix the sled tins before you go any further.

Bulli Klinik wrote:
camit34 wrote:
Lots of little frustrations but made some decent progress. However, no little helper today, I think she's over it...

Something doesn't look right. Is that a 1/2 lower sled turned backward and being used in the 3/4 side?

’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
Bulli Klinik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 7:17 am    Post subject: Re: Colorado Bay Owners? Reply with quote

You have a short nr. 2 on the where one of the nr. 5's should be.
If you didn't install your nr. 10's, I'd suggest you start over. Even if you don't run the t-stat, the flappers (nr. 11) must be used to divert air to the heads. The motor will have to be removed to install the t-stat if you don't put the flappers, cross linkage and control rod in. In a heavy Bus, you really need all the tin.

Other than that, looks like your ready.

Colorado Springs
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 7:41 am    Post subject: Re: Colorado Bay Owners? Reply with quote

The Godfather has spoken...wise grasshopper listens before proceeding further.
camit34
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 8:03 am    Post subject: Re: Colorado Bay Owners? Reply with quote

Well carp...

Here's where my tin situation stands -

- Not able to locate a #5
- Neither engine has flappers in the shrouds (one doghouse and one skinny)
- Because of the above, I do not see any of 11 nor 10 in the stuff I have

What would be the best course of action from here?
Bulli Klinik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:12 am    Post subject: Re: Colorado Bay Owners? Reply with quote

I'd contact Manfred and get the parts you need. Unfortunately I won't be making the trip either due to a poorly timed engine rebuild. Sorry to burst your bubble but I value long term longevity over instant gratification. Do it once, do it right.
Colorado Springs
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: Colorado Bay Owners? Reply with quote

You Must have the cylinder deflectors #10. In the absence of these the engine can and will overheat, score and or seize a piston.
Unfortunately to install #10 the pushrod tubes will have to come out.
So you don't have to remove the heads.
Removable pushrod tubes
http://www.jayceevw.com/store/p63/JayCee_Leak_Proof_Pushrod_Tubes.html

Awesome Powdercoat is a good source for tin.

click on link
Type 1 Engine Tins

Good luck
Tcash
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 11:19 am    Post subject: Re: Colorado Bay Owners? Reply with quote

I have no tin for sale at this time
camit34
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 11:41 am    Post subject: Re: Colorado Bay Owners? Reply with quote

Tcash wrote:

You Must have the cylinder deflectors #10.
Good luck
Tcash

My apologizes, #10s are there and installed on both sides.

I assumed these were something I needed to take off the old engine and install on the new but it looks like the builder did this.
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 1:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Colorado Bay Owners? Reply with quote

No apologies needed, just be happy they are there.
Tcash
Bulli Klinik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 2:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Colorado Bay Owners? Reply with quote

camit34 wrote:
Well carp...

The t-stat/flapper assembly can be kinda tough to locate, but worth it for the longevity of the motor. In lieu of the flappers, you can make some if you have access to some tin snips, 18-20 gauge steel and a welder or riveting tool.
These are some I fabbed in place of the original:

If you do that, flip the tin that's on backwards and add the lower, flat piece of the 1/2 side tin, you should be roadworthy. Don't forget a new engine seal if yours is bad. Also a good idea to seal around the cooler to direct all air though it. The name of the game is to make all the cooling air go where the engineers intended while keeping the hot air out of the engine bay.

That should get you on the road with enough time to figure out that carb...maybe. Smile
Colorado Springs
camit34
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 3:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Colorado Bay Owners? Reply with quote

Tcash wrote:
No apologies needed, just be happy they are there.
Tcash

Thank you and I am!
camit34
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 3:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Colorado Bay Owners? Reply with quote

Bulli Klinik wrote:
camit34 wrote:
Well carp...

The t-stat/flapper assembly can be kinda tough to locate, but worth it for the longevity of the motor. In lieu of the flappers, you can make some if you have access to some tin snips, 18-20 gauge steel and a welder or riveting tool.
These are some I fabbed in place of the original:

If you do that, flip the tin that's on backwards and add the lower, flat piece of the 1/2 side tin, you should be roadworthy. Don't forget a new engine seal if yours is bad. Also a good idea to seal around the cooler to direct all air though it. The name of the game is to make all the cooling air go where the engineers intended while keeping the hot air out of the engine bay.

That should get you on the road with enough time to figure out that carb...maybe. Smile

Thank you for the help and all the cooling info and great work there on those fins. This will give me a reason to practice with my welder. Will for sure reference it while finishing the last pieces.

Really??? The carb maybe a no go? Crap...!!! The gent I purchased it from said it was setup and working perfect on an 1835 with a non-vacuum 009 for about 2 years before he moved to duals...so, fingers crossed!
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 5:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Colorado Bay Owners? Reply with quote

Update on my Bus: I have it back in the garage. I took apart and cleaned the Bocar Pict34 (it was full of milky residue..ethanol does attract water and it has been wet). Still have to adjust clutch and replace 1/2 shaft. I have all day open tomorrow to do that. The engine has about 40 minutes of run time so far. Still needs valve adjust and maybe a oil change. I have to get at least 200 local mikes on the engine before attempting the San Juan trip...its gonna be close. Oh, I have to put the interior back together and make some kinda bed, more coffee and heavy metal until further notice.
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 6:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Colorado Bay Owners? Reply with quote

Bulli Klinik wrote:
Unfortunately I won't be making the trip either due to a poorly timed engine rebuild.

Bumble-clot!

At this point I'm planning on attending Buses at the Brewery again this year. I believe it is on 8/26, so hard to find info cause I'm not on the Tweet-Book. Wink

Manfred58sc wrote:
The engine has about 40 minutes of run time so far. Still needs valve adjust and maybe a oil change. I have to get at least 200 local mikes on the engine before attempting the San Juan trip...its gonna be close. Oh, I have to put the interior back together and make some kinda bed, more coffee and heavy metal until further notice.

I hope you make it, I choose the route with your specifications in mind. Some off road, some on road and camping below 9000' both nights. Very Happy
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
camit34
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 6:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Colorado Bay Owners? Reply with quote

@Manfred58sc

Good luck at ya!

There is no Patron Saint of time but Saint Eligius and Peter the Apostle are the patron saints of clock makers... (I'm not really religious, just odd)

Sounds like we could both use a little time!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 29, 30, 31  Next
Jump to:
Page 14 of 31

Jump to: