Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Issues with NGk BP6ET Spark Plugs
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
RailBoy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 4:13 am    Post subject: Issues with NGk BP6ET Spark Plugs Reply with quote

Hello, just posting this as a question to see if any other people have had issue with the NGK BP6ET Spark Plugs out there? I have had one fail out the box and now maybe two? I have yet to change out the plugs for another model of NGK. But yes, any others having issues with these plugs failing? RB
oldschool5er
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 6:12 am    Post subject: Re: Issues with NGk BP6ET Spark Plugs Reply with quote

They have been very reliable for me and have used them for years.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 6:20 am    Post subject: Re: Issues with NGk BP6ET Spark Plugs Reply with quote

It happens once in a blue moon. I once got an entire box of faulty ones. It is annoying to be the one to figure it out. Even so, they are much better than the Bosch we get around here at least
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RailBoy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 6:20 am    Post subject: Re: Issues with NGk BP6ET Spark Plugs Reply with quote

I had one fail out the box and now have a miss I am tracing down and hope it to be a one of the plugs. Had to leave the car behind and get supplies, plugs and tune-up items.. But hope it is just a plug that cuts out above 2,500 RPMs.. RB
pyrOman
Fire Master

FWIW, I once had a squareback with a brand new crate motor which had a pesky intermittent "miss-fire". After dicking with it for way too damn long, I pin pointed it to be happening on one cylinder. Pulled the plug and as the others it looked like new. Having it out, figured to swap it with the other side. BAM! now the issue went with it!?! Confused

Went into my tool box, found a gunky old plug, installed in place of the suspect and the problem went away! Rolling Eyes

You might have been unlucky twice. Think
RailBoy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 6:24 am    Post subject: Re: Issues with NGk BP6ET Spark Plugs Reply with quote

Yea no doubt, got the batch of plugs from the same distributor and they even said they could have gotten a bad batch of them.. I am hoping it is the issue, had to leave the car on vacation behind so that sucked, no trying to get back to it to work on it, have supplies now, just need a ride,lol.. RB
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 7:51 am    Post subject: Re: Issues with NGk BP6ET Spark Plugs Reply with quote

Alstrup wrote:
It happens once in a blue moon. I once got an entire box of faulty ones. It is annoying to be the one to figure it out. Even so, they are much better than the Bosch we get around here at least

Really?.....just asking....I can see in general that considering where Bosch has been manufacturing parts....that in "general" .....NGK plugs seem to have better quality these days than Bosch.......but are you also inferring that the NGK BP6ET are also better quality than the Bosch W7DTC (No longer made but available as NOS).

I ask because I have personally NOT found that to be the case with these two specific plugs. I have found quality to be equal.....the plugs to be interchangeable......though there is a very slight difference in the two plugs. Nothing bad.....but its either a slight heat range difference or a difference in the plating alloy or the exact electrode shape.....nothing that causes a difference in performance....but something that causes a difference in appearance and carbon coating over time.

Just wondering if you can clarify please.

I HAVE seen an occasional rare failure issue with BOTH plugs (W7DTC and BP6ET).....and I was lucky enough to be able to trace it to handling or storage issues.

In the case of very high resistance NEW plugs....I think I have found maybe 1 or 2 of each make this way among other sparkplugs....when you crack the plug open.....you usually find corrosion at some point. The plugs were stored poorly and got wet.....or it was a rare case of the crimp gasket failing.

The few plugs I have found that were "0" connectivity.....were ALL traced to being dropped....and cracking them internally.

They plug sets were suspect from where I bought them for two reasons.....

1. A couple had dented boxes on the end where the wire connects to the plug. When I find a box like that....I open the dented end. There was a nice mark in the cardboard where the threaded end impinged on it when it hit the floor hard. One or more in both brands I have found this way....were dead "no connection" plugs.

2. A few boxes in sets I have bought over the years spent a while on someones shelf. A few of the boxes had been opened and the plug inside was missing the cardboard tube on the electrode end.
I have found one or two like that that were dead....no connection. The triple plugs can be dropped on the electrode end and unlike a regular single electrode plug.....it will usually not bend the side electrode....mleaving no visual evidence that it was dropped and possibly damaged.

I have about 16 sets of old stock W7DTC in my "stash" and about 5 sets of BP6ET. All have been checked and are good.

This would be sad to hear if there is actually a reduction in quality of either the BP6ET currently still in production.....or a rash of bad plugs in the remaining old stock of W7DTC.

Both are simply the best plug I have found for a high compression type 4 with a hot ignition system. Ray
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:05 am    Post subject: Re: Issues with NGk BP6ET Spark Plugs Reply with quote

Ray. The box of plugs that I got that was faulty was NGK D7EA. I stopped using Bosch a long time ago due to both fauty plugs and also the fact that when we order a specific plug around here, we almost always get something that "looks" like it, but is not. So I got tired of eventrying.
3 years ago I was servicing my sisterīs Fiesta, and got a faulty Beru plug. Beru is actually a good plug these days, but still it happens.

T
maui
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 11:57 am    Post subject: Re: Issues with NGk BP6ET Spark Plugs Reply with quote

I bin getting lucky with denso u groove same temp range
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 12:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Issues with NGk BP6ET Spark Plugs Reply with quote

Alstrup wrote:
Ray. The box of plugs that I got that was faulty was NGK D7EA. I stopped using Bosch a long time ago due to both fauty plugs and also the fact that when we order a specific plug around here, we almost always get something that "looks" like it, but is not. So I got tired of eventrying.
3 years ago I was servicing my sisterīs Fiesta, and got a faulty Beru plug. Beru is actually a good plug these days, but still it happens.

T

Yes....the Bosch plugs I use for my cars...are only very specific. For example the Bosch plug for my 2012 Golf and 2006 Jetta (FR7HE02).....were/are only made in Germany for a specific range of vehicles. Have not had any faults with them.

The W7DTC....since its been out of production...sadly....if you order them sight unseen...from a chain parts house (a FLAPS over here)...they will only have the NEW Bosch suggested replacement plug for the W7DTC...which is NOT the same plug as the W7DTC. They usually ship the Bosch 7900or similar which is not only a resistor plug...but is single electrode.

All of my Bosch DTC's are old stock of course.

It appears that the spark plug manufacturers do not realize what the CAR manufacturers knew. Its not JUST the electrode material and heat range that made the W7DTC worthwhile in applications that called for it.....it was the electrode CONFIGURATION.

Outside of the specific plugs I use on my personal cars....I have pretty much only been installing NGK or Denso (mostly iridium plugs on newer cars).

This is also usually because local parts houses do not carry much Bosch iridium or double platinum in European usage part #'s.....and since I cannot get the Bosch and have heard too many issues with the newer build Bosch plugs....I have just gone to NGK and Denso on new cars.

The triples are an interesting plug. In applications that REALLY need them....they need them. I think most modern computer controlled engine applications would not care.

Examples would be cars like the 1984 VW Sirocco with high compression 1.7L which used the Bosch W7DTC or BGK BP6ET or the 1.8L DOHC 16 valve Sirocco...which could use either of the above plugs but listed the BKUR7 ET......or the WR6DTC both of which were cooler plugs with a resistor but still triples.

These cars if memory served were CIS or CIS-E injection and high compression. In an otherwise perfect running car just needing an interval spark plug change...if you changed to a single electrode plug of same material and heat range and brand....you got instant poor idle quality...and high rpm miss and misfires at shift points.

These plugs make a difference with high compression and higher rpms on certain applications. Ray
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 12:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Issues with NGk BP6ET Spark Plugs Reply with quote

most out of the box isues Ive seen are installer inflected. I use bosch platinums in everything. that way I never have to change them and they always work as good when installed and...till the end of time.
FreeBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 3:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Issues with NGk BP6ET Spark Plugs Reply with quote

mark tucker wrote:
most out of the box isues Ive seen are installer inflected. I use bosch platinums in everything. that way I never have to change them and they always work as good when installed and...till the end of time.

So true- I had a buddy come over, saying he'd "killed" his engine, all he did was swap out the plugs for new ones, but cross-threaded one. Sure enough, it sounded terrible, but it was just the n°2 cylinder not firing. I take out the plug, and I start to chuckle to myself: he had indeed cross-threaded the plug, but in a tougher-alloy WBX 3/4" length plug hole. The head's threads were long and strong enough to set the plug "straight" in the end, but the initial 2-3 threads were taken off-angle enough to bend all 3 electrodes shut.

I've had small (2-3) batches of NGK B5HSs which failed (on the same vehicle), I thought something in the fuel was creating deposits which were "shorting" the electrode, but I guess the plugs may have been defective. Around 2011.

I haven't touched a Bosch plug in 15 yrs, and I'm quite sad about it.
RailBoy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 4:09 am    Post subject: Re: Issues with NGk BP6ET Spark Plugs Reply with quote

Thanks for the replys guys, thank you..

And yes, Mr. Mark, I have run Bosch Platniums as well in my stock engines and worked great, but even back then they say that they were the wrong plug for a vw engine for some reason, forget.. But yea, stock engines. Now if I knew a 14mm dia. x 3/4 reach Bosch Platnium, I may try it..

For now from what I gathered a good plug to try for it has a good rep is the NGK BP6ES. I do hope they work good, mean if my engine has a miss above 2.500 RPMs do to another plug issue, I say that the BP6ET's that I got are from a bad batch. Other than that, what else can you say.

Hummmm, hope the NGK BP6ES' work out and is the culpret on the miss issue, be a quick fix... RB
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: