Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

top straps
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
oasis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 3:57 pm    Post subject: top straps Reply with quote

The top straps I'm asking about are not the ones that attach to the crossbar. I'm referring to the straps one uses when the soft top is installed but folded down.

TTS straps are sold with a green buckle and rivets that need to be installed -- two strikes against them. I just want something simple. Ironically, the straps I'm not talking about are nice velcro jobs sold by TTS.

Since so many folks are ingenious, I thought I would try to find out some of your solutions. (The so-called "boot" is not an option I want to pursue although they look nice.)
77kafer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 6:15 pm    Post subject: Re: top straps Reply with quote

I used to use 2 of these, but with different buckles: http://www.lapolicegear.com/rothco-4177-44-belt.ht...KnMfD_BwEu

Overheard on 27 June 07, one lady to another when they saw my Harli in a parking lot at West Point, "maybe he found it on the clearance aisle at the Volkswagen dealer"
mondshine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 5:37 am    Post subject: Re: top straps Reply with quote

I use regular military style webbing.
A little sun faded, but it has worked well for me for over 30 years.
Inside:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Outside:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Good luck, Mondshine
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
77kafer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 6:54 am    Post subject: Re: top straps Reply with quote

This is the type of buckle that I use with the belt I linked above: https://www.armynavyoutdoors.com/classic-cotton-web-belt-54/?sku=200793

Overheard on 27 June 07, one lady to another when they saw my Harli in a parking lot at West Point, "maybe he found it on the clearance aisle at the Volkswagen dealer"
ZacharyRitter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 1:36 pm    Post subject: Re: top straps Reply with quote

I purchased my set from The Thing Shop, and they were black buckles. I don't recall what the picture looked like when I ordered them. I would call them to clarify the color. As for the rivets they were very easily installed, I used a pair of pliers with duct tape on the jaws of the pliers to prevent damage to the face of the rivet. There are holes in the webbing for the rivets. I had no problems with my install.
Joe 20
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 7:36 pm    Post subject: Re: top straps Reply with quote

I also use the black military belts with the open buckles
oasis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:25 pm    Post subject: Re: top straps Reply with quote

Thanks, everyone!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: