Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Brakes locked up - need suggestions.
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
RENTEDCOW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 9:02 am    Post subject: Brakes locked up - need suggestions. Reply with quote

Hello,

My late father and I always talked about getting an old car to work on. We ran out of time. I have a neighbor and nephew who are mechanics, and several independent vw repair shops nearby. My wife and I always liked the Thing. So, I found one and decided if not now, when? I pick it up in two weeks.

I know the floor pans will need replaced and a new paint job (surface rust). The front brakes are locked up (after sitting around so long). I have to haul it back and I am concerned about the locked brakes. I will bring a trailer, but getting it on the trailer is question.

Can you give me any suggestions on what to look for in the front brakes when I get to the vehicle (it's in another state)? Also, any suggestions on what I should bring with me that can assist in getting the brakes freed up.

Thanks!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
GI Joe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 1:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Brakes locked up - need suggestions. Reply with quote

So sorry for the circumstances that brought you to us. Our Thing is a family heirloom with Many great memories we are blessed to continue. I'm glad you decided to start now, it's never too late to start making memories!

It could be as easy as putting some fluid in and bleeding the brakes, but most likely it's rust.
With family from Ohio, and living there a few yrs, I will Strongly recommend some PB Blaster! Even better if you could get the seller to soak the fittings over the next couple weeks. Spray it all up in the brake drum through the inspect holes in the backing plate. You'll most likely ruin the front pads, but they're readily available.

Some good straps(wrapped around the front suspension beam, and around rear suspension trailing arms, Or rear frame horns, NOT the bumpers!). A spare tire for your trailer and some company, you should be good to go!

Welcome!
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8080337#8080337
www.NLEOMF.com
Respect, Honor, Remember
Ron Domeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 6:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Brakes locked up - need suggestions. Reply with quote

Jack it up and take the wheels off and tap the drums. Some time this will brake the drums loose.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
GI Joe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 6:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Brakes locked up - need suggestions. Reply with quote

Or keep it simple
Like Ron suggests!! 🤣🤣
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8080337#8080337
www.NLEOMF.com
Respect, Honor, Remember
RENTEDCOW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 8:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Brakes locked up - need suggestions. Reply with quote

Thanks for all the comments. I will take those suggestions. Apparently this Thing was a barn find. I asked the current owner if he had some photos of him pulling it of the barn. He does. I will take some when I pick it up and begin posting photos. Can't wait!
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 10:18 am    Post subject: Re: Brakes locked up - need suggestions. Reply with quote

I would definately guess that the brake shoes are rusted to the drums. I would remove the wheels and tap around the drum with a hammer as well and see if you can loosen the adjuster at all, but if it has been sitting a while they may be frozen.
Banker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 12:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Brakes locked up - need suggestions. Reply with quote

If you are near Central OH, or just want to take a road trip, On August 12th come to COVVC show. I will be there with my thing and about 5-12 others. Lots of all VW's and a flea market. You can get GREAT knowledge from some of the people, then there is me Very Happy

http://www.covvc.org/volksfest.htm

07 Charger Sublime
03 Goldwing
74 Thing
doublecanister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:56 am    Post subject: Re: Brakes locked up - need suggestions. Reply with quote

I'd say brakes locked up or not, you should be able to get it on a trailer but
you may need to use a winch or a "come-a-long".

That's how we got my 71 Mustang on the trailer after sitting for 20years.

It's wheels were flat and all 4 locked up but we dragged it up on the trailer and then dragged it off.

In fact, dragging it may break some wheels loose. Not sure how much room you'd have to move this THING but it's possible with a tow strap you could drag it forward and or backwards some and break the wheels loose.

Good luck with your find.

Worst case drag it on the trailer and fix it when ya get home!

T
1966 - Mustang GT- Fastback
1951 - Ford F1 pickup Flathead V8
ALANSD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:59 am    Post subject: Re: Brakes locked up - need suggestions. Reply with quote

all good ideas, and try a can pf BrakeKleen spray. Used liberally the stuff works.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 6:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Brakes locked up - need suggestions. Reply with quote

You can use a punch through the inspection holes in the brake backing plates to apply an impact directly to the brake shoes.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: